Author Topic: WWTBAM and Supermarket Sweep to air on ABC  (Read 6790 times)

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
WWTBAM and Supermarket Sweep to air on ABC
« on: January 08, 2020, 04:23:31 PM »
Abc is leading the way with Game Shows

Jimmy Kimmel to host "Millionaire" 20th anniversary edition w/celebs
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jimmy-kimmel-who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-abc-20th-anniversary-1203460383/?fbclid=IwAR3k2XuPc7aaBPf2rCYCHxWfzEs8QgZf5Grjy4vU3BolY8BagxRKCgxuZXs

And Supermarket Sweep is airing with Leslie Jones as host.

https://deadline.com/2020/01/abc-nabs-supermarket-sweep-revival-game-show-leslie-jones-host-1202824283/

I figure since Fresh off the Boat did a Millionaire episode the show would return back sooner than later. The Celebrities turn me off i would rather see Civilian contestants.

Jimmy is a pretty good choice i hope he doesn't get political and start whining. I thought Chris Harrison was boring.

I worried about Supermarket Sweep, Leslie can be annoying sometimes
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 04:27:14 PM by Reloaden »

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: WWTBAM and Supermarket Sweep to air on ABC
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 04:27:44 PM »
Abc is leading the way with Game Shows

Jimmy Kimmel to host "Millionaire" 20th anniversary edition w/celebs
https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jimmy-kimmel-who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-abc-20th-anniversary-1203460383/?fbclid=IwAR3k2XuPc7aaBPf2rCYCHxWfzEs8QgZf5Grjy4vU3BolY8BagxRKCgxuZXs

I lost interest before I even made it to the end of the first paragraph: " 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire' is returning to ABC, this time with Jimmy Kimmel at the helm. A 20th anniversary edition of 'Millionaire' will premiere in April, featuring celebrity contestants playing for charity."

Not interested in watching celebrities playing for charity. At all.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 04:35:12 PM »
I lost interest before I even made it to the end of the first paragraph: " 'Who Wants to Be a Millionaire' is returning to ABC, this time with Jimmy Kimmel at the helm. A 20th anniversary edition of 'Millionaire' will premiere in April, featuring celebrity contestants playing for charity."

Agreed. It's bad enough the original UK's final seasons were all celebrities except for a few "The People Play" episodes.

And Leslie Jones is an unfunny hack. Couldn't stand her on SNL.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 04:58:32 PM »

Same here i want to watch out of curiosity to see how they do things. I guess they forgot the celebrities specials killed  the original versions of Millionaire and Weakest Link. I bet 10 they are going to be ABC sitcom stars.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2020, 05:00:52 PM by Reloaden »

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 05:09:16 PM »

Same here i want to watch out of curiosity to see how they do things. I guess they forgot the celebrities specials killed  the original versions of Millionaire and Weakest Link. I bet 10 they are going to be ABC sitcom stars.

I would watch only if they drop the rule from the original era where they let other celebrities help them up to $32,000 (assuming they had Fastest Finger this time). If not, it's a pass from me.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 05:39:17 PM »

And I’m not interested in watching Jimmy Kimmel host either. He’s the among the least funniest of all the late-night hosts, and I hate late-night talk shows. What’s wrong with getting Regis or Meredith Vieira?

I’m not much of a Leslie Jones fan, either.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 05:47:20 PM »
We knew about Sweep already, didn't we?

Glad to see Millionaire isn't forgotten. Just when I thought it would be a silent anniversary, this is great to see.

Now, can somebody please scoop up Primetime Wheel of Fortune? This has been a great year for primetime game shows yet WOF is still getting looked over. CBS will probably do a LMAD special before any network does WOF.  :cry:

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 05:57:12 PM »
ABC would be the likeliest to option a prime time Wheel since it's the syndicated show's "network of record" (compliant with ABC Standards & Practices). It could happen.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 06:03:58 PM »
Good heavens, can't they give Millionaire a break before dragging it back out into the arena? The format had been stale for years, and not one year after it ceases production it gets revived. What was wrong with waiting until its 25th anniversary? And I can't say I'm a fan of celebs playing for charity. The concept has been long overused. Game shows just work better when real people win life changing amounts of money.

Sweep, on the other hand, was long due for a revival. With ABC's recent track record of shows staying true to their original formats, I trust that Sweep will not be an exception.

What’s wrong with getting Regis or Meredith Vieira?

To be fair, Regis is 88. I highly doubt he would be open to jumping back in the emcee position. As for Meredith Vieira, she's doing 25 Words or Less. Not sure if she would have the time or desire.

Also the previously posted links don't work for me, so I've posted some, in case anybody else had trouble.

https://variety.com/2020/tv/news/jimmy-kimmel-who-wants-to-be-a-millionaire-abc-20th-anniversary-1203460383/amp/

https://deadline.com/2020/01/abc-nabs-supermarket-sweep-revival-game-show-leslie-jones-host-1202824283/amp/
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 06:04:08 PM »
ABC would be the likeliest to option a prime time Wheel since it's the syndicated show's "network of record" (compliant with ABC Standards & Practices). It could happen.

I wonder if it'd be more likely to after Pat left than before......that said with Mike Richards coming on board next year....maybe that'd be a time they might go for it as well? Could maybe see that.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 06:15:14 PM »
ABC keeps doing the same thing that got Millionaire cancelled in the first place. No one cares about the celebrities. Just play the game as is.

Even less interested in Supermarket Sweep. Leslie Jones comes across as fake and obnoxious.

Offline jlgarfield

• Rider Pride!
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 07:03:56 PM »
Holy smokes. Press Your Luck and WWTBAM under the same roof?! ZOMG! It is, IMO, a match made in heaven.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2020, 07:13:21 PM »
Jimmy Kimmel and celebrities only?  No thanks.  I may watch part of an episode just to see what, if any, nostalgic elements from the show’s original run 20 years ago are brought back, and then I’m probably tuning out the rest.

I’m all for giving money to charities, but the entire concept of WWTBAM is to give someone the chance of a lifetime at winning $1 million.  Seeing anything short of that doesn’t interest me, especially when the questions are bastardized to help the celebs climb the money tree faster.

And Jimmy... Don’t get me started.  Chris Harrison seems to be the no-brainer pick there.  He certainly wasn’t the issue with the syndicated format.  Someone dropped the ball not bringing him on board.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2020, 07:25:59 PM »
ABC keeps doing the same thing that got Millionaire cancelled in the first place. No one cares about the celebrities. Just play the game as is.
It's a *special*
Jimmy is a pretty good choice i hope he doesn't get political and start whining. I thought Chris Harrison was boring.
It's a game show.  Not a late night talk show.  Completely different venue.

And Jimmy... Don’t get me started.  Chris Harrison seems to be the no-brainer pick there.  He certainly wasn’t the issue with the syndicated format.  Someone dropped the ball not bringing him on board.
I like game shows.  A lot.  I've never once seen a Chris Harrison episode.  I know who Jimmy Kimmel is though.  I suspect ABC made the choice they made because they wanted to showcase him interacting with celebrities.  (And it isn't like he doesn't have game show experience). 

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2020, 07:32:36 PM »
Jimmy’s hosting job on Win Ben Stein’s Money was fantastic, and his performance on Set For Life was dreadful. (Not that he would have saved the show, but he really didn’t want to be there and it showed.)

Kimmel is a talented host—when he wants to be, and when the format plays to his strengths. Something where he can be quick and witty and irreverent. Dragging out Millionaire like this just screams “we’re just trying to plug a hole and get some ABC cross-promotion in while we’re doing it,” so why not do it with The Bachelor instead?

Leslie Jones, OTOH, has been very enthusiastic about Sweep and apparently has been a driving factor in getting the show on the air. Excited to see how that one’ll turn out. I think it could be a good fit for her.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."