Author Topic: WWTBAM and Supermarket Sweep to air on ABC  (Read 6721 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: WWTBAM and Supermarket Sweep to air on ABC
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2020, 09:06:25 PM »
Also, the Variety article had an interesting tidbit I missed skimming it the first time:

The 2020 edition will be executive produced by Kimmel, Michael Davies and Mike Richards.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2020, 09:34:23 PM »
I wonder if it'd be more likely to after Pat left than before......that said with Mike Richards coming on board next year....maybe that'd be a time they might go for it as well? Could maybe see that.

I feel if any network did WOF, they would get a younger host/hostess duo for demographic reasons. If people heard Wheel was doing a primetime special with Pat and Vanna, casuals would scoff, "Better let my grandma know."

ABC does seem the most likely, but all of the big three are plausible. The show is distributed by CBS, and the original daytime version was on NBC for most of its run. ABC seems like the best candidate, though.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2020, 09:49:58 PM »
Indeed so.  Kimmel had great chemistry with Ben Stein, and the show's format fit him well (which thus leaves one unable to help wondering if Stein will thus be a celebrity of choice--double points of course if Matthew Broderick's on the same show).  So he can be great under the right circumstances. 

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2020, 11:37:26 PM »
I used to enjoy watching WWTBAM with Regis 20 years ago, and I'm glad that the show itself is coming back. I knew it would be only a matter of time before it actually occurred.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2020, 11:56:29 PM »
I feel if any network did WOF, they would get a younger host/hostess duo for demographic reasons. If people heard Wheel was doing a primetime special with Pat and Vanna, casuals would scoff, "Better let my grandma know."

I wonder if that there is part of the reason (age aside) they'd go with Kimmel for Millionaire. I mean Regis has been away from the show for over a decade now, with his last appearance being for the 10th anniversary shows in 08. I could see them wanting fresher blood and having a similar attitude of "that's the grandma's host" with him at this stage. Even moreso given every other host (not counting Trebek as that's a special case) ABC has used/is using for their game shows is younger. So Regis would be out of place in that sense too.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2020, 10:59:01 PM »
I wonder if that there is part of the reason (age aside) they'd go with Kimmel for Millionaire. I mean Regis has been away from the show for over a decade now, with his last appearance being for the 10th anniversary shows in 08.
He also guest hosted the syndicated version from November 30 through December 4 after the 10th anniversary shows as well as appearing twice to ask a Celebrity Question.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2020, 09:09:51 AM »
I am guessing they wanted a fresh face to front Millionaire. I am hoping they do this special and return later this year with cillvillian contestants.

I wonder if the set will take after the British Set or Polish set since so many versions are modeling their sets after those versions.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 09:15:33 AM by Reloaden »

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2020, 11:33:57 AM »
I am guessing they wanted a fresh face to front Millionaire. I am hoping they do this special and return later this year with cillvillian contestants.

I wonder if the set will take after the British Set or Polish set since so many versions are modeling their sets after those versions.

Why would a US version take after anything but previous US sets?*

*(MAYBE the British one since that's what our original version was based on. But still.)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 12:12:08 PM »
My understanding was, when the show was first licensed for overseas adaptations, any foreign producers were required to build precise replicas of the original 1998 UK set (which is why the original 1999 US set looked like it did), use the original UK music package (ditto), and even have their hosts wear the same dark-colored Armani suits as Chris Tarrant did. No clue when that policy changed, or if it would be in effect again for this series.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2020, 12:43:18 PM »
Michael Davies is back (he hasn't been with the show since they went to the shuffle format), so I wouldn't be surprised if they ditched the open bar look.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline AussieEvil

• Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2020, 01:50:38 AM »
I want to know if Supermarket Sweep is going to have the same gimmicks the recent UK version has (employee characters beside the host, celebrity shopping lists, playing for 5 seconds a question instead of 10)
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline Trevor Tuominen

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #26 on: January 24, 2020, 06:48:28 AM »
Technically the UK always had employees beside the host.
"Take your job seriously, but don't take yourself too seriously." - Alex Trebek, 1940-2020

Icon by Siahri!