Author Topic: Jeopardy! GOAT Tournament  (Read 5801 times)

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
Jeopardy! GOAT Tournament
« on: January 08, 2020, 09:43:02 PM »
Has anyone been watching this? I have and I really like it.
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Jeopardy! GOAT Tournament
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2020, 09:46:53 PM »
I have, my friend/ex gf and I have both. It's been good, tough as hell but good. The new FJ music for this threw me at first, but....I am growing used to it. Any predictions as to a winner from anyone?

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2020, 09:48:02 PM »
Seeing Brad struggle in the first 2 matches is painful. James and Ken are evenly matched.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2020, 09:51:43 PM »
What I really like is that all 3 of them and Alex are clearly having a lot of fun, and that always counts for a lot, for a game show is supposed to be fun at heart.  And yes, I like the more authoritative Final Jeopardy theme they're using for it. 

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2020, 10:12:23 PM »
Seeing Brad struggle in the first 2 matches is painful. James and Ken are evenly matched.
Yes him struggling like this is just shocking. I think having another heavyweight in addition to Ken to compete against is effecting him.

I'm not crazy about the think music, to me it sounds like an odd mash-up of all the show's themes.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 11:21:24 PM »
I'm not crazy about the think music, to me it sounds like an odd mash-up of all the show's themes.

I wonder if that's the point of it......a homage to the overall history, which would make sense with the event itself being similar. I never thought of that till now but I can see it now that you said it.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2020, 06:55:50 AM »
An online news item says the big winner of the tournament was leaked (item did not spoil who it is) as offshore books ceased bets when betting on that contestant suddenly grew.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2020, 08:41:48 AM »
Take away's through 3 games SPOILERS-

1. Ken and James are very evenly matched, if it was not for that daily double in the first game of day 3 it would have been a lot closer

2. I never thought I'd see the day where Brad ends in the red, truly shocking

3. I have a feeling this will go to at least day 5 or 6, I can't imagine Brad not becoming very aggressive on the buzzer, he wants to get back into this so bad

Whatever happens we are certainly in for a treat, what a tournament this has been so far

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2020, 12:19:47 PM »
It's great to see the ratings so robust, clobbering Fox's Flirty Dancing among others.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2020, 03:37:29 PM »
Holy smokes, you ain’t kidding.

The Greatest of All Time has grown its audience each night it has aired so far: 14.42 million for its debut on Jan. 7, 14.87 million the next night and 15.55 million for round three. The competition featuring Jeopardy hall of famers Ken Jennings, James Holzhauer and Brad Rutter will air at least one more time, on Tuesday; the tournament ends when one player notches three nightly wins.

Those three episodes rank second, third and fourth among all entertainment programs so far this season in viewers. Only NBC's Golden Globes broadcast, with 18.32 million viewers, currently ranks ahead of it.

Each episode of The Greatest of All Time has also outdrawn the first four games of the 2019 NBA Finals, the first five games of the 2019 World Series, all but one of ESPN's 17 Monday Night Football telecasts and seven of Fox's 11 Thursday Night Football showcases.

They turned this into the perfect storm. I thought it would do well, but I’m stunned to see it do THIS well.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2020, 04:21:14 PM »
I believe there are supposed to be airing more primetime Prices this year anyway, but with the success of the GOAT tournament I can definitely see CBS wanting more primetime Price specials.

2. I never thought I'd see the day where Brad ends in the red, truly shocking

3. I have a feeling this will go to at least day 5 or 6, I can't imagine Brad not becoming very aggressive on the buzzer

Brad's decline in this tournament definitely is shocking. It would be like if the Patriots started the season 1-7. He did a little better on night 3, but still he doesn't look like he's in position to mount a comeback. That said, since ABC didn't put the 4th game on last night it makes me think Ken doesn't win match 4 since I think they would've put the 4th and final match on Friday to keep it to one week if he did.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2020, 04:53:00 PM »
It would be like if the Patriots started the season 1-7.
Perish the thought.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2020, 05:07:46 PM »
Or they decided not to put a show on a low usage night. Sometimes people think better of things, and it’s not directly connected to the outcome.

That said, I’m sure the good folks at CBS, NBC and ABC realize this is lightning in a bottle. Or they should anyway. Game shows are a decent enough filler here and there, and that should be the benchmark. This is an outlier for several reasons. Anyone working in a position of power at the networks who thinks these results can be extrapolated into anything other than this situation should be looking for a new line of work.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2020, 05:28:37 PM »
I believe there are supposed to be airing more primetime Prices this year anyway, but with the success of the GOAT tournament I can definitely see CBS wanting more primetime Price specials.

The Seth Rogen Price special two weeks ago scored 6.6 million viewers. The J! GOAT tournament is getting almost triple that.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2020, 08:25:12 PM »
Seems to me that the reason the GOAT tourney is getting that high of a rating is because you're watching three people in a battle of wits. Each of them have their own records, now they are going head to head in the competition of the century to see who can outperform the others. You don't really have that excitement in any other game show. Just my two cents.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!