Author Topic: Jeopardy! GOAT Tournament  (Read 5738 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Jeopardy! GOAT Tournament
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 09:50:14 PM »
Seems to me that the reason the GOAT tourney is getting that high of a rating is because you're watching three people in a battle of wits. Each of them have their own records, now they are going head to head in the competition of the century to see who can outperform the others. You don't really have that excitement in any other game show. Just my two cents.

Yeah I was thinking that.....and they have some 20 years of history between them all combined, not to mention Alex. None of the other shows have that. And then there's Alex's cancer to go along with it...so that may play into too in terms of it being perhaps the last big event he hosts, and he's been a huge part of several generations of people now. And that's just with Jeopardy alone.

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: January 11, 2020, 10:02:18 PM »
I haven't seen any of the shows on TV, but I saw a clip on YouTube the other day that showed the end of a Final J! round. One of the answers (I think Ken's) was "Who is GHOST? (Greatest Host of Syndicated TV), Pat Saja Alex Trebek", and another (Brad's?) was "Ken es el hombre" or something like that. The third answer (James?) was the only serious answer. Alex made fun of the Pat Sajak answer, then commented that he wished Ken had lost more points, and then with the reveal of the second answer, turned to the camera and said "ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Jeopardy comedy hour."

If this is anything to go by, it seems like these three have at least a decent rapport with Alex too. If that's how the rest of the shows have gone, it makes sense that it would be popular with viewers--it adds some genuine fun to what's normally a very serious and straight-laced show.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: January 11, 2020, 10:12:23 PM »
I haven't seen any of the shows on TV, but I saw a clip on YouTube the other day that showed the end of a Final J! round. One of the answers (I think Ken's) was "Who is GHOST? (Greatest Host of Syndicated TV), Pat Saja Alex Trebek", and another (Brad's?) was "Ken es el hombre" or something like that. The third answer (James?) was the only serious answer. Alex made fun of the Pat Sajak answer, then commented that he wished Ken had lost more points, and then with the reveal of the second answer, turned to the camera and said "ladies and gentlemen, welcome to the Jeopardy comedy hour."

If this is anything to go by, it seems like these three have at least a decent rapport with Alex too. If that's how the rest of the shows have gone, it makes sense that it would be popular with viewers--it adds some genuine fun to what's normally a very serious and straight-laced show.

With avowed Eagle fan Brad then making his wager to the above the final score of Super Bowl LII ($4,133, or 41-33). 

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #18 on: January 11, 2020, 10:20:37 PM »

James wrote the GHOST response and Ken wrote the serious answer.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: January 11, 2020, 11:35:23 PM »
The Seth Rogen Price special two weeks ago scored 6.6 million viewers. The J! GOAT tournament is getting almost triple that.
6.6 is still a great number and it won the night, not like the GOAT tourney but hardly dismal. The Sunday night special had the highest ratings for the night outside of 60 Minutes and football.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #20 on: January 12, 2020, 12:31:36 AM »
6.6 is still a great number and it won the night, not like the GOAT tourney but hardly dismal. The Sunday night special had the highest ratings for the night outside of 60 Minutes and football.

My intention in citing those numbers wasn't to diminish Price's success, just to put in context how massive this is for Jeopardy. While Price won its time slot, Jeopardy is pulling in millions of people in who don't even ordinarily watch TV.

CBS may very well ask Price for a few additional specials based on those numbers, but it would be on Price's own success, not because they're taking Jeopardy's success as a sign that millions are suddenly thirsting for more primetime game shows. It's a very specific phenomenon.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2020, 04:14:02 PM »
Apparently they thought the ratings were so good, they decided to rerun the shows last night (Saturday), instead of reruns of other shows that were suggested in the TV listings.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2020, 02:20:35 PM »
Splendid conclusion. Not much I can add to that. Ken was in a zone.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2020, 04:19:53 PM »
I have to give Ken a ton of credit. His style prior to this tournament was to play DDs and FJ conservatively, but he knew that would never beat James and so he went for everything even though he really didn't want to. In other words, he played James' style of Jeopardy better than James did and very much deserved to win.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: January 15, 2020, 08:40:09 PM »
I was rooting for Ken all the way and was glad he won. He really earned it. His recall was amazing!! James is also a great player; his attitude though? Hmmm... I’m not a fan.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2020, 03:10:09 AM »
The finale saw a 2 million viewer drop compared with match three, but 13 million is still nice numbers for ABC.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2020, 05:50:16 AM »
Ken says he won't do another Jeopardy tournament, simply because he says he can't do any better than the GOAT series and he feels as Trebek is reaching the sunset of his career being in another tournament without him wouldn't be the same.
--Michel de Montaigne