Author Topic: Your TPiR Confessions  (Read 21865 times)

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Your TPiR Confessions
« Reply #75 on: February 15, 2020, 05:12:34 PM »
I haven't kept up with this thread that much, but I'll give a couple of mine.

The "carnival" set of Most Expensive, used for about 25 years, was the worst set the game ever had and its current set, in use for 10 years now, is the best (and this is from a person that loves Five Price Tags). It never looked in place and always made the stage look more barren than it already did. It was just ugly and I never liked seeing the game when I'd watch the show first run or older episodes online.

Bob Barker has slightly ruined the legacy of The Price Is Right. He is a petty man and all of his gerrymandering with not only his version of Price, but the versions hosted by others, has, in my opinion, severely hindered keeping many memories of the show alive. I appreciate his dedication to animal rights, but thinking that wiping all appearances of your association with furs means that it didn't happen is wrong and short-sighted. Nothing is wrong with thinking a different way formerly. So many episodes have never aired since broadcast because of this short-sightedness and there must be some confluence of his influence that's keeping Price off of Buzzr (along with issues perhaps with CBS).

I also think he did the show no favors by kneecapping the types of cars that could be on the show with his foreign ban throughout the last 15 years or so of his tenure. I appreciate the effort/gesture for a time, but there was a point where it should've been lifted so they could spruce up the car rotation. Say what you will about cars now, I appreciate the variety that shows up now.

This post, by the way, was in no ways meant to be a designer accessories on Bob post. I wouldn't say some of this to his face and I'll still praise his hosting, which was top-notch. But the man had an ego and some serious misgivings because of it.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2020, 05:28:47 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #76 on: February 15, 2020, 05:56:28 PM »
I appreciate his dedication to animal rights, but thinking that wiping all appearances of your association with furs means that it didn't happen is wrong and short-sighted.

I don't think anyone thinks that's the case. He doesn't want to further promote the fur industry. Longtime fans of the show — and of the pageants he hosted prior to the "fur flap" — all know furs used to be involved. It's not like not airing those shows makes us forget they ever happened.

And there's a comparatively smaller percentage of fans who don't recall furs who still want to see old shows more than the current version.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #77 on: February 15, 2020, 06:52:07 PM »
I haven't kept up with this thread that much, but I'll give a couple of mine.

The "carnival" set of Most Expensive, used for about 25 years, was the worst set the game ever had and its current set, in use for 10 years now, is the best (and this is from a person that loves Five Price Tags). It never looked in place and always made the stage look more barren than it already did. It was just ugly and I never liked seeing the game when I'd watch the show first run or older episodes online.

Bob Barker has slightly ruined the legacy of The Price Is Right. He is a petty man and all of his gerrymandering with not only his version of Price, but the versions hosted by others, has, in my opinion, severely hindered keeping many memories of the show alive.

The model stuff around this where Janice, Dian and Holly (and maybe Kathleen too?) are concerned is especially bad. It's left so much footage from really the best years of his era of the show unaired for literally 2 decades now, sans the YouTube material which is obviously fan posted. The DVD that came out after he retired should have showcased the very best shows and moments from his entire run as host, but because of his pettiness, all we got was a smattering of early episodes from before it really became what it was/is today, and his final week. It's a shame that's all that was able to be put out as a legacy, it really is. It shoulda been much more than that.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #78 on: February 27, 2020, 08:29:18 PM »
Randy West was overrated.  Don't get me wrong he was a fine announcer just not the best in my opinion.