Author Topic: Your TPiR Confessions  (Read 21652 times)

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
Your TPiR Confessions
« on: January 23, 2020, 11:07:25 PM »
Look, I'm sorry I rubbed a few people the wrong way with my repetitive rants. I'm done with that now. With that said..... this is a thread to post your personal confessions about TPiR. :D
-----
I refer to any spinoff in the Showcase Showdown as overtime. If it goes to more than one spinoff, then it becomes "double overtime", "triple overtime", like in football, ice hockey and basketball.

Offline NewsDirector3287

• Outside in Line
Re: Your TPiR Confessions
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2020, 10:24:33 AM »
Here's one that will probably be big...the Showcase is my least favorite part of the show.  I know that's what the entire episode
has been building up to, and I will admit that it can be exciting sometimes, especially with DSWs.  Most of the time however, I watch simply because I've invested so much time into the episode, that I think I might as well finish it. 

I've had this feeling for a while now, and I'll admit that they were more interesting back in the day, even the loosely themed ones towards the end of Roger's tenure on the show. If I had to rank my favorite elements in any episode, it would go:

Pricing Games->Showcase Showdown->Showcases

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2020, 11:56:20 AM »
A few short TPiR confessions I have:

The Showcase Showdown is my least favorite part of the show. Hands down. I often take bathroom breaks of put food in the microwave when its on.

Not only did I not miss Bob hosting the the show during Tom Kennedy's nighttime run, there were quite a few times I thought Tom did a better job than Bob.

I liked Clearance Sale more than Eazy az 1 2 3 and was sorry to see it retired.

I thought that the The Price is Right On '70s Halloween show was excellent, despite only one prize won in any pricing game.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2020, 01:01:29 PM »
When the values in Punch a Bunch changed, I stole the $50 and Second Chance slips out of the board since they weren't going to be used again.

Wait... that isn't the type of confession you're talking about?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2020, 02:22:25 PM »
Same as Alfonzo- Showcase Showdowns are my least favorite part of the show. If I'm watching the whole episode I will try to see the end of each SS to see if any bonus spins are done. For me, it's all about the games!

I hate Time Is Money. The original was "meh" for me, but the new version just appears sloppy. I don't like that contestants can win some random amount of money, but it is neat to see a $20k win!

Also, I suck at bidding on the Showcases. On Day 5 of Dream Car Week I helped a guy I met in line win two cars in Bargain Game. He told the lady who went on to the Showcases to look to me for help. I mouthed "no, no," but she did it anyway. I was clueless. I was trying to steal a bid from someone else to give her. Turns out my guess would have put her over! (She didn't win anyway.) I'm trying to get better at playing along with the Showcases, but I still suck at bidding on them. But just look at my CSS record to see that!
1,718 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline Shaymin

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • May we have some decorum here, please?
    • Nintendo Free Radio
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2020, 02:24:26 PM »
My first act if I somehow became EP would be to order a One Away redesign with a Switcheroo-style board so we can ditch the Mighty Sound Effects Lady / "Ladies, do I have..." routine.

Online mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Joker's Wild ...and deadly.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 03:29:53 PM »
Let's say someone bids, in this case, $800 in Contestants' Row. When the third person bids $801, I gotta cheer when the final person bids $802.

But if I was last and those were the first three bids, I would so bid $803.  :-D
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2020, 06:34:37 PM »
When someone other than the last bidder during the one bid round bids $1, I just shake my head.

Similarly, when the last bidder bids one dollar below the highest bid.

I also say some unkind words to people who do not know the proper strategy when bidding last in Contestants' Row.

This is a really odd confession, but Bonus Game more than any other pricing game reminds me of one of my grandmothers with whom I used to watch the show way back when.  She died a long time ago, so long ago that Cliff Hangers debuted a month after she died, just to give you some idea.

As a youth when my parents would watch the night time weekly Price is Right and Dennis James was hosting instead of Barker, I was a bit disappointed.  He came across to me like a mean substitute teacher.  But now that I am much older and perhaps somewhat wiser, Dennis was a sensational host of the show!

The pricing game Hit-Me made me feel nostalgic for Gambit.

When Bob would make a really "old" reference like "This Is Your Life" or "Queen For A Day", I would cringe.  I also cringed the way a person might when fingernails are scratched on a chalkboard every time he would say "fellers"...ugh.

I too feel "meh" about the Showcase Showdown as well as the Showcase round at the end of the program.  Long ago the showcases were better, as they had more prizes and much more time to describe the prizes as well.

This last confession is really more my Mom's than my own, may she rest in peace.  She detested when Bob would require female contestants to reach into his $100 pocket for a perfect bid. 

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2020, 01:52:00 AM »
I used to think they selected contestants based on "how well they cheered" as they went into commercial.  I envisioned the producers looking at the monitors, finding someone whose enthusiasm they liked, and deciding that was the person who'd be the next contestant.  I just figured they had some way of knowing who everybody was, in order to be able to call their name; I didn't think about the logistics of it.  (Nor did I give any thought to how the first four contestants were chosen.)

Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2020, 02:57:42 AM »
I love both Swap Meet and Step Up, especially Step Up. Those two seem to be kind of unpopular here.

I too also prefer the pricing games over the Showcase Showdown. Sometimes on the DVR I'd skip right through them.

Concerning One Away, I also like the "oh mighty sound effects lady" rather than the "gentlemen / ladies." The sound effects lady bit can get a little annoying depending on the playing and contestant, but it's more entertaining to me.

Finally, I'd prefer to play Double Prices or even Pay the Rent much, much more than Plinko.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2020, 05:14:17 AM »
Golden Road is overrated.

I don’t think I could bring myself to bid $1 over somebody else as the fourth bidder. I’d give them a $20 cushion or so, unless they did it to me first.

I’m not a fan “special” shows where one prize overshadows everything else. Case in point: the most recent primetime special played That’s Too Much for a BMW and Cliff Hangers for $6,500 cash in the same half.

Rich Fields’ “cartoonish” announcing wasn’t as bad as everyone says it is.

I don’t get why everyone hated Joker. It wasn’t a top 10 game or anything, but it was fine.

Finally, I'd prefer to play Double Prices or even Pay the Rent much, much more than Plinko.

OTOH, I would LOVE to play Pay the Rent. It’s the easiest $10,000 you can make!
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2020, 09:04:35 AM »
When the show ditched the SCSD split-screen arrow back in 1996, I felt a little sad, because it gave a better idea as to who was spinning the Wheel. I never liked the way they shot just the front of the Wheel, with a cut to the contestant or two coming before it. As nice as it was to have a new split-screen back in 2007, it pales in comparison to the iconic arrow, which I'm glad is being used once again.

A lot of people bash Doug Davidson's syndicated version for many different reasons, but I enjoyed it, even more so than the daytime show. It provided a fun experiment with its unique take on the One-Bid, called The Price Was Right. Plus the Range Game-inspired Showcase round was pretty cool too.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2020, 01:17:36 PM »
Plinko is overplayed.  I personally wish they would play it just a tier below the big 3.

I don’t get why everyone hated Joker. It wasn’t a top 10 game or anything, but it was fine.
It was Shell Game *and* Bonus Game with a way to lose while pricing everything perfectly, super redundant.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2020, 03:29:39 PM »
I don't like the complaint that when you price items perfectly you should automatically win the game (Half-Off for example seems to get more complaints about it). There needs to be some sort of luck factor in certain games, otherwise it turns the win into an anti-climax.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Online William

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Thanks for the memories, Bob!
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2020, 04:15:26 PM »
The Showcases have always been my least favorite part of the show; and the format of the Showcases in the past decade haven't increased my enthusiasm.

Bob's last two or three seasons represent a very nostalgic period of the show for me... but looking back 15 years later, this seems like a pretty bland era. The Showcases in particular seemed to lack the excitement and spontaneity of the previous two decades. There was always three prizes, no more or less, and the skits were corny (or at least cornier than usual) and predictable.

I've never had a beef with Rich Fields' announcing and really don't understand how some fans absolutely can't stand him.

Cliff Hangers is overrated. I never had this opinion during Bob's era though... it's just been the recent regime that's played it to death.

I don't like the complaint that when you price items perfectly you should automatically win the game (Half-Off for example seems to get more complaints about it). There needs to be some sort of luck factor in certain games, otherwise it turns the win into an anti-climax.

I agree with this. When the bonus rule was introduced to Half-Off in season 36, I thought it was the oddest rule change I had ever seen. It's a better format now though with the flat $1,000.
$1,016,378 cash & prizes given away by me in my HYOs!