Author Topic: Your TPiR Confessions  (Read 21649 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Your TPiR Confessions
« Reply #15 on: January 25, 2020, 06:00:50 PM »
Bob's last two or three seasons represent a very nostalgic period of the show for me... but looking back 15 years later, this seems like a pretty bland era. The Showcases in particular seemed to lack the excitement and spontaneity of the previous two decades. There was always three prizes, no more or less, and the skits were corny (or at least cornier than usual) and predictable.

For me it goes back a bit further than even that. I really started watching/recording the show regularly in Season 30 as a high school freshman, and I lived and breathed the show back then. I talked about it even in school often and became known for it, to the point that one teacher had a party for Bob's 80th birthday for me, complete with decorations and all and getting to watch his 80th bday daytime show in class that day, and getting a framed picture of Bob that all my teachers signed when I graduated in 05. So I was pretty much a lifer for the show and Bob at the time. Would been a dream of a lifetime for me to get on the show and meet him then, I'm sure some that knew me expected I might at one point even.

But when I look back at it now? Knowing what I know about how Bob was off camera, and just how the show overall was at that time as a result of that, I view it very differently. I actually tend to be more likely to watch older years of the show (particularly the Olson era, specifically in the late 70's/early 80's) than I am some of those just because of the different feel the show had, not to mention more time to actually let shows breath and let Bob talk vs. rushing through one segment to get to the next cause you basically had to.

That time will always hold some significance to me just cause it was a part of my teenage years, but....there is definitely some rose colored glasses around that to be sure. I still tend to like Drew a bit more as a host than Bob for that reason actually, because even if he's not as polished, I feel he cares more about the contestants and staff for that matter than Bob did, particularly in those final 6 years. Kinda brought back an atmosphere that was missing for a long time once he had settled into his own, and it needed it.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #16 on: January 25, 2020, 10:21:01 PM »
For me, the pre-grey hair Bob Barker episodes don't have the same feeling as do the ones after he went grey. I don't know if its because I'm a child of the 90s but it feels like a heap of difference in how the show feels. Same goes with when the turntable carpet went from lime green to red.

I also prefer repeating Showcase themes such as Train Depot, Rod-ercise, Barker's Factory, etc over the 'Brandi goes to the Supermarket' type Showcases more towards the end of Bob's tenure.

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2020, 08:35:01 AM »
I've never liked Three Strikes.  I'm not against having some degree of luck in pricing games, but a 2/3 chance of losing an all or nothing game from the get-go that only goes up as your pricing knowledge decreases is a bit too much for me.  Yes, it is great to see it won and it is exciting when it gets down to two chips balls in the bag, but it seldom gets to that point and more often than not my frustration when I see it come up still feels justified by the end of the game.

When someone other than the last bidder during the one bid round bids $1, I just shake my head.

I root so hard for the actual last bidder to bid $2 in those situations.   :oldlol:

Offline MCJ04

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2020, 09:15:26 AM »
Well. Here goes. Early 90s-end of career Bob is my least favorite TPIR host/era.

1. Carey/70s-80s Barker
2. James
3. Kennedy
4. Davidson
5. 90s-00s Barker.

Why? That era, Bob seemed mean. Shoving and grabbing contestants, rushing through descriptions, zero connection with other cast on stage, it was all about Barker it nobody. The show seemed bland and boring. Where today, the show is fresh and, while still somewhat predictable can deliver something fun every time. There’s chemistry on set, a host that cares, and a new energy.

Offline MCJ04

• In the Audience
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2020, 09:19:58 AM »
Oh. And I typically tune out the SCSD and Showcases as well. I’d prefer seeing a Price was Right showdown and either a one-player Range-Finder style Showcase or a two-player BullseyeI bid-off on one larger souped-up showcase.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2020, 11:55:59 AM »
I almost always FF over the showcase showdowns. I was never the biggest fan of this part of the show, but I did like it better during the Barker era. The irritating "do you want to say hi to anyone" shoutouts, which actually take focus off the spinning of the wheel, ruined this part of the show for me to the point where I now skip over it entirely. And I did like this part of the show more during the Barker years, even then it tended to feel same old same old, in sharp contrast to vast variety of different pricing games and the variety of prizes offered during contestants row. So I FF over both showcase showdowns about 99% of the time.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline UniquePerspective

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The More You Know.
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2020, 12:39:50 AM »
Pay The Rent may be a top 10 pricing game for me.

Also, I think people are willing to overlook some of Roger Dobkowitz's flaws as a Price is Right producer (in my opinion, an inability to change and adapt, and his own problems with hard set-ups) purely out of nostalgia.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2020, 12:43:50 AM by UniquePerspective »
Yeah...let's make this current shall we?

Season 39 CSS Stats:
Games: 7 Top 10 Finishes: 2 Top 5 Finishes: 1 Overs: 3 DSW:0 WSD: 0 GOTC: 3 WOTC: 0

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2020, 07:52:40 AM »
Also, I think people are willing to overlook some of Roger Dobkowitz's flaws as a Price is Right producer (in my opinion, an inability to change and adapt, and his own problems with hard set-ups) purely out of nostalgia.

To a point, I agree. But by the same token, I remain amazed at how much people were willing to overlook, from day one, the sub-par post-Barker years and continue to act as if Drew Carey is the greatest emcee of all time. It's almost as if some people are afraid they'll have to give up their LFaT card if they criticize anything at all. For some of us, that is just as annoying.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2020, 09:20:30 AM »
Pay the Rent is my favorite game on the show, because there’s another game within the game. In addition to knowing the prices, you also have to know how to arrange them, and as we all know, it’s not as intuitive as it looks.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2020, 12:25:24 PM »
FF

What does "FF" mean? Is typing whole words that difficult?

Back on subject... I always found Barker's false reveals annoying and I much prefer how Drew just gets down to business.

I miss the Drewcases... not because they were good, because they weren't, but because they were at least trying to be creative, unlike today in which every showcase is just three prizes loosely tied around a central theme, with little variance in presentation.

Rich Fields is probably the worst permanent announcer the show has had.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2020, 12:35:10 PM »
FF stands for fast forward.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2020, 02:00:12 PM »
I guess I'm the opposite, I liked Bob's teasers on games like Temptation.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2020, 02:39:08 PM »
If the show enjoys playing non-car games for cars so much, they should consider playing car games for non-car prizes.

Play Cover Up for a bathroom.

Play 3 Strikes for a trip.

Have some fun with it, you cowards.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2020, 02:54:33 PM »
I'd be up for that.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2020, 03:15:11 PM »
FF stands for fast forward.

Then just type "fast forward". Posts are easier to read when you use whole words.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.