Author Topic: Your TPiR Confessions  (Read 21644 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Your TPiR Confessions
« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2020, 11:14:40 PM »
This is total fantasy and not even remotely true.

I'd say for the last 7 seasons or so after Janice and Kathleen were let go, especially with the connection to other cast, it kinda was actually. And I say that again as someone who loved Bob at the time as a high school & then early college student.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2020, 05:07:37 AM »
It really, really bothered me when Bob was introduced on the 2015 April Fools show as “Drew Carey” by George, and it stills bothers me to this day whenever I play back that clip.  Yes, it was an April Fools gag to have him come out, but at least give the man a proper introduction!  Especially when that moment was quite likely to be the final time he’ll ever walk through those doors (although I still hold out the tiniest bit of hope for just one more surprise appearance!).

I would think Bob was okay with it, otherwise he wouldn't have agreed to participate.  It's not like they sprung it on him at the very last minute.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Online b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2020, 06:36:54 AM »
Where today, the show is fresh and, while still somewhat predictable can deliver something fun every time. There’s chemistry on set, a host that cares, and a new energy.

Right on the money-- it's so good now with Drew and George and all the rest, that I have it set on a regular DVR recording, and wouldn't miss it for the world (even if only one or two games are won on any particular show)!

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2020, 07:37:52 AM »
I would think Bob was okay with it, otherwise he wouldn't have agreed to participate.  It's not like they sprung it on him at the very last minute.

You completely missed my point.

Obviously he agreed to it, but I’m of the opinion they never should have chosen to introduce him that way in the first place, unless it was his idea, which I highly doubt.  Regardless, it’s simply how I feel.  Others may feel differently, and that’s OK.  This is a ‘confessions’ thread after all. :P
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2020, 12:32:33 PM »
I'm not sure this qualifies as a confession, but...  I think the arrow on the wheel and the spinner should be on the same side. How that would be designed, I have no idea.

Last Sep, when I took my first spin, the arrow was pressed against the 95 and didn't flip.  So, on my second spin, I kept moving toward the front of the wheel thinking if this is going to be another close one, I want to see it. I realize seeing it better doesn't make a difference on what i spin. I kept walking around Drew standing in front of him, so I could see better, he ( I think in an exaggerated manner, knocked himself in the faced with the mike, then he made some joke w the cameraman about it all.

-------
Also with the wheel, I hate when people spin, and they're so busy "saying hi" to someone, they're not even looking at the wheel.  This happens a lot.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2020, 02:05:21 PM »
I'm not sure this qualifies as a confession, but...  I think the arrow on the wheel and the spinner should be on the same side. How that would be designed, I have no idea.

No matter how it's created, it would interfere and not give the player enough of an arc to put energy into the spin if it was on the player's side.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2020, 02:20:25 PM »
You completely missed my point.

Obviously he agreed to it, but I’m of the opinion they never should have chosen to introduce him that way in the first place, unless it was his idea, which I highly doubt.  Regardless, it’s simply how I feel.  Others may feel differently, and that’s OK.  This is a ‘confessions’ thread after all. :P

My own confession of sorts on this....and I know this isn't Bob's fault given his age at the time...is that that opening segment woulda been so much better/satisfying than it was if he had remembered to say "Welcome to the Price is Right!" as he always had for all those years, once he got to the top of the stage. It feels a little strange without that. Awesome moment still of course, but has that little something missing in that way because he didn't.

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2020, 03:31:03 PM »
- I find the big wheel tedious, and don't like the US showcase format at all, to the point where I usually stop watching after the last pricing game is done.  Mind you, this is a bit of a saving grace when watching live at 1am or 2am my time :P

The issue I have with the wheel is similar to the issue I have with the Australian showcase prize reveals - it is a lot of show time taken up by dead air and little gameplay (or in the Aus. showcase instance, no gameplay at all, which makes that even worse).   

It is just so boring to watch the wheel go around and around when only the last second or two before it stops are all that really matters.   Compare this to another luck-based game like Plinko where the chips drop within seconds and you can follow the chip's path all the way down, so there is more intense anticipation as to where it will land.

- When I first got into US TPIR after the Australian series ended in 2005, I was blown away by how much (and how easily) the US series gave away in the showcases, and this has remained the case particularly as the showcase totals increased while many games seem to have become harder to win.   I would much rather see lower showcase values and more forgiving pricing game set ups in general.

The main issues I have with the showcases are the lack of variety both in gameplay and in the prizes, particularly the high amount of trips offered.  In recent seasons it feels like once you've seen one showcase segment, you've seen them all, particularly with DSW's harder to come by.  Someone winning $25-35k+ worth of prizes should be a big deal, but there always seems to be more excitement in a $10000 Grand Game win or a Let Em Roll or Rat Race win.

- I've got no issue with the shoutouts at the wheel.  I recall a few times in Drew's early seasons where contestants would get on stage and launch straight into shoutouts, which would have been hard to edit out yet always interrupted the flow and cut time from the pricing games.  It's a lot cleaner just having them all do it at the SCSD.

- Buy Or Sell always confused me as a kid watching TPIR in the 90s, and still confuses me to this day.

Offline Priceboi1983

• In Contestant's Row
  • Come on Down!
    • Justin's Facebook Page
« Reply #53 on: January 31, 2020, 01:04:07 PM »
When the values in Punch a Bunch changed, I stole the $50 and Second Chance slips out of the board since they weren't going to be used again.

Wait... that isn't the type of confession you're talking about?

To have something Iconic like the Punch-A-Bunch slips would be a dream of mine
And all this could be yours if... The Price is Right

Offline StacksOfCash

• In the Audience
« Reply #54 on: January 31, 2020, 01:18:35 PM »
May be a weird one, but I really dislike games that don't have a sort of reveal mechanism that shows the price. Generally ones where Drew literally asks "Is that the right price?" and immediately followed by a bells or a buzzer and none or very limited visual cues.

The easiest example is Gridlock. Quite literally anything could have been done other than this - model flips a price tag, correct price immediately displayed on the screen instead of afterwards, traffic like sound effects such as a car crash indicating a loss, or a zoom sound indicating a win.

Ironically, I also think Bonus Game suffers from this. Something about the bonus just magically appearing on the screen instead of say Drew flipping or removing a cover (kind of like flip flop) to make it seem less like the person behind the scene can arbitrarily decide whether the contestant wins or loses (assuming it's not a wipeout or perfection).

2 for 1 is also another example, though I think visually it would look nicer if correct numbers were highlighted in different colors (red for wrong, or green for correct). It isn't as eye catching as a Make Your Move where the entire game board vividly flashes colors for a win. Ideally, I would hope for something along the lines of a Stack-The-Deck where the game name over and displays the price (of which I think is one of the cooler reveals).

They have gotten quite better at this though: Coming or Going, That's Too Much, Line 'em Up now at least have some kind of reveal now.

Also there are games that I think could use better reveals:

Bullseye: Personally I find the hidden bullseye mechanic lame, and I think you should just immediately lose if you miss out with 3 chances to hit the target, but I was hoping for something creative rather than Drew just tapping the touch screen and the result just appearing. Maybe even a small 3 second animation of an arrow hitting or missing a target.

Hi-Lo: Something about the price reveals by flipping over a card seems so outdated and makes the game seem like it's still in the 60s. I was hoping for some kind of barcode scanner or something other than Drew just turning over a card to reveal a price.

Offline TPIRViewer

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #55 on: February 01, 2020, 04:02:09 PM »
I'd say for the last 7 seasons or so after Janice and Kathleen were let go, especially with the connection to other cast, it kinda was actually. And I say that again as someone who loved Bob at the time as a high school & then early college student.

But that's not what was said.

The poster stated Bob seemed mean. That's a lie.

And, Bob was shoving and grabbing contestants. That's a lie.

And, Bob was rushing through descriptions. That's a lie.

Finally, Bob had zero connection with other cast on stage. Even this is partially untrue. Whether you like Rich or not, Bob had good chemistry with him. It is true though that there was no connection anymore with the models. This was mostly because there were no more permanent models on the show and it became a revolving door. Granted, that was Bob's decision and he deserves blame for that.

The thing is, when Rich started, he sounded great. But over time, he seemed to become more and more over the top. And I have to wonder if he was actually ENCOURAGED to announce that way. Because even if he somehow couldn't have heard how over the top he was, surely the producers did and would have said something if they weren't happy with him.

I don't know why he was removed from the show. After all they put him through in those "Drewcases," I think he deserved better.

He was removed because he was fired for inappropriate behaviour behind the scenes. I've said that before and got accused of lying. It's your choice whether to believe me or not but I am telling the truth.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2020, 04:09:06 PM by TPIRViewer »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: February 01, 2020, 04:50:08 PM »
Finally, Bob had zero connection with other cast on stage. Even this is partially untrue. Whether you like Rich or not, Bob had good chemistry with him. It is true though that there was no connection anymore with the models. This was mostly because there were no more permanent models on the show and it became a revolving door. Granted, that was Bob's decision and he deserves blame for that.
I remember reading before that they stopped using permanent models so that the models were allowed to take other jobs in addition to being on Price. Personally I never minded that much that the models weren't permanent anymore, I disliked the announcers changing after Rod's illness and passing until Rich became permanent more.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #57 on: February 01, 2020, 07:47:16 PM »
(Rich) was removed because he was fired for inappropriate behaviour behind the scenes. I've said that before and got accused of lying. It's your choice whether to believe me or not but I am telling the truth.

Well, this is the first time I've heard that...so I suppose I must have missed your previous remarks on that subject.
But don't get so defensive. I didn't accuse you of anything.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline ThomHuge

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #58 on: February 01, 2020, 07:55:08 PM »
He was removed because he was fired for inappropriate behaviour behind the scenes. I've said that before and got accused of lying. It's your choice whether to believe me or not but I am telling the truth.

FWIW, I don't think you're laying. But I also don't take what you say as fact. People on this site have a definite history of trying to act like experts on things they don't actually know anything about, seemingly just to appear to be an expert or like they have an inside connection.

Therefore I'd like to know where you're getting this, so I (and everyone else) can figure out if it's a legitimate source, or some relative of The National Enquirer.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #59 on: February 01, 2020, 08:10:45 PM »

I'm not sure why you know this, and I'd say his behavior was less "inappropriate" than downright "stupid," but you're definitely correct.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.