Author Topic: Your TPiR Confessions  (Read 21660 times)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Your TPiR Confessions
« Reply #60 on: February 01, 2020, 08:33:41 PM »
And, Bob was shoving and grabbing contestants. That's a lie.

Bob most certainly did do that.  It was noticeable for many years.  He wasn't trying to be mean; it was just his way of getting unprepped contestants onto their marks and then offstage without audible directions.  It never bothered me (I thought it was kind of ingenious, actually), but I can see how it might rub some people the wrong way, especially compared to Drew's laissez-faire way of dealing with people.

Offline TPIRViewer

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #61 on: February 01, 2020, 09:54:11 PM »
I'm not sure why you know this, and I'd say his behavior was less "inappropriate" than downright "stupid," but you're definitely correct.

Considering Rich made an ass out of himself behind the scenes at CBS to the point where he got banned from certain parts of the company, I'd definitely say he was both inappropriate and stupid  :-)

I feel like you and I discussed this already but I simply had a source from behind the scenes. That source is long gone though from the company and Rich's termination is the last piece of backstage information I ever got. I know nothing about the behind the scenes of TPIR past 2010.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #62 on: February 01, 2020, 10:47:40 PM »
Bob most certainly did do that.  It was noticeable for many years.  He wasn't trying to be mean; it was just his way of getting unprepped contestants onto their marks and then offstage without audible directions.  It never bothered me (I thought it was kind of ingenious, actually), but I can see how it might rub some people the wrong way, especially compared to Drew's laissez-faire way of dealing with people.

I don't think he'd ever say it publicly, but I get the sense Drew's a bit anti-social, however he understands that it comes with the job. As long as he continues enjoying his job as he shows, he deals with it. If someone did that to him on Whose Line, he'd likely be upset.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline MCJ04

• In the Audience
« Reply #63 on: February 01, 2020, 11:28:22 PM »
But that's not what was said.

The poster stated Bob seemed mean. That's a lie.

And, Bob was shoving and grabbing contestants. That's a lie.

And, Bob was rushing through descriptions. That's a lie.

Finally, Bob had zero connection with other cast on stage.
I’ll defend myself here. Remember the subject of this thread, however. Confessions are opinions. Some might agree some will disagree. I realize I may be in the minority around here.

Bob did seem mean towards the end, and it’s directly related to the next point. And I’ll concede, mean may not be the right word... maybe more grumpy than anything. You could visibly pick out the contestants he didn’t enjoy. Often times if the contestant wasn’t a LFAT, or know game rules right off the bat, they were treated differently. He’d move quickly through explaining the games. Probably more from the growing constraints on timing. Watch how he moved contestants around on the stage. Watch closely. A grab of the upper arm or a gentle “move” off camera when they won or lost. These movements, to me, became more apparent in the 2000s.

Also, I prefer the chemistry on stage since Drew came on board versus the 2000s Barker Price. To me, the cast turnover contributed significantly to this.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: February 02, 2020, 12:10:52 AM »
I’ll defend myself here. Remember the subject of this thread, however. Confessions are opinions. Some might agree some will disagree. I realize I may be in the minority around here.

Bob did seem mean towards the end, and it’s directly related to the next point. And I’ll concede, mean may not be the right word... maybe more grumpy than anything. You could visibly pick out the contestants he didn’t enjoy. Often times if the contestant wasn’t a LFAT, or know game rules right off the bat, they were treated differently. He’d move quickly through explaining the games. Probably more from the growing constraints on timing. Watch how he moved contestants around on the stage. Watch closely. A grab of the upper arm or a gentle “move” off camera when they won or lost. These movements, to me, became more apparent in the 2000s.

Also, I prefer the chemistry on stage since Drew came on board versus the 2000s Barker Price. To me, the cast turnover contributed significantly to this.

As do I, can't even imagine Bob ever being ok with singling out his announcer at the top of every show, or the models for that matter, especially towards the end. It creates that more family feel the show was missing for a long time. And I sorta like how Drew doesn't mind sharing the stage with the contestants, as opposed to how Bob kinda was quick to get them out of view after a game.

Also on Bob's visible on camera dislike for a contestant.....I have a memory...and I coulda swore this was from Season 30 (that was the first year I was recording shows and I recall it as being from one) but it mighta been a Season 29 repeat (saying this only because I struggled to find a record of this later in trying to find it in any recaps from 30), where he got EXTREMELY angry with a woman in the Clock Game who was mixing highers and lowers up. He from what I remember shouted at her he was going to kick her in the ankles, and angrily asked what she bid. Does anyone else here have a memory of this and when it woulda happened? I recall it very vividly, and would definitely have been one of his less than positive contestant interactions from his final years.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #65 on: February 02, 2020, 12:19:18 AM »
As do I, can't even imagine Bob ever being ok with singling out his announcer at the top of every show, or the models for that matter, especially towards the end. It creates that more family feel the show was missing for a long time. And I sorta like how Drew doesn't mind sharing the stage with the contestants, as opposed to how Bob kinda was quick to get them out of view after a game.

Actually, when you lose a game the stage manager, Eric, has a tablet with the word "STAY" written in big red letters that he shows to the contestants to remind them to stay with Drew instead of running off stage. If you win a trip he does the same thing (he did it to me, I stayed with Drew and gave him a thumbs up, and he returned the thumbs up). Also, during George's warm-up he goes over these rules and has the audience to repeat after him, "Stay with Drew!" I think that's interesting because, now that I think about it, Bob would either congratulate the winner or thank the contestant for playing the game, then they would usually walk off camera. Does anyone know when this change exactly? Was it a preference by Drew, the director, or the producers?
1,718 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2020, 08:37:47 AM »
Bob did seem mean towards the end, and it’s directly related to the next point. And I’ll concede, mean may not be the right word... maybe more grumpy than anything. You could visibly pick out the contestants he didn’t enjoy. Often times if the contestant wasn’t a LFAT, or know game rules right off the bat, they were treated differently.

I do recall one playing of Eazy az 1 2 3 in which the contestant made the fatal mistake of admitting to not watching the show regularly. Instead of telling the contestant to place a block one at a time Bob loaded all three blocks in the woman's hands and had her lug them all at the same time, telling the audience "I did that because she admitted she didn't watch the show." I thought that was, at least, a little catty of him.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: February 02, 2020, 03:38:53 PM »

Also on Bob's visible on camera dislike for a contestant.....I have a memory...and I coulda swore this was from Season 30 (that was the first year I was recording shows and I recall it as being from one) but it mighta been a Season 29 repeat (saying this only because I struggled to find a record of this later in trying to find it in any recaps from 30), where he got EXTREMELY angry with a woman in the Clock Game who was mixing highers and lowers up. He from what I remember shouted at her he was going to kick her in the ankles, and angrily asked what she bid. Does anyone else here have a memory of this and when it woulda happened? I recall it very vividly, and would definitely have been one of his less than positive contestant interactions from his final years.

I remember this as well. At the time it was the angriest I'd ever seen Bob get, and it appeared to be genuine anger as well. It was the day he got a new microphone....I believe it was March 29th 2002 according to the FAQ. Clock Game was played 3rd that day.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2020, 03:42:45 PM by wink87 »

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2020, 10:48:46 AM »
I think that's interesting because, now that I think about it, Bob would either congratulate the winner or thank the contestant for playing the game, then they would usually walk off camera. Does anyone know when this change exactly? Was it a preference by Drew, the director, or the producers?

I'm pretty sure it was Drew's choice.  Sometimes when contestants would instinctively walk away early on in his run, Drew would say something like, "Oh... well, there he goes..."  And he, of course, strongly encourages winners to "go check out your prize!"  I think running to the prize is kind of like contestants giving shout-outs at the Wheel... people used to do it occasionally, but Drew likes it, so he decided everyone should do it.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2020, 12:22:29 PM »
Today, when a contestant leaves Drew while he is throwing to commercial, he usually can be seen laughing at the fact that the contestant walked off.  Anyone else notice this?  It happens when a contestant loses their pricing game or when a contestant wins a prize where there is nothing to check out on stage (trip, cash, etc.).

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2020, 01:02:30 PM »
Lately, I've been watching older Price clips on YouTube of Bob's run with the show. My mother happened to be in the same room as I while was watching the other day, and she made the comment that she never liked how mean Bob was, so it's definitely a trait he displayed. Whether it was intentional or not, though, that's up for debate. And I think that it especially stands out even more now that Drew is host.

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #71 on: February 10, 2020, 09:46:44 PM »
I feel like the Race Game cue should be the theme song for the 1989 Nickelodeon game show Think Fast. I'd also like to hear the theme to another Nick game show, Make the Grade, as a prize cue as well.

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #72 on: February 13, 2020, 01:38:46 PM »
Lately, I've been watching older Price clips on YouTube of Bob's run with the show. My mother happened to be in the same room as I while was watching the other day, and she made the comment that she never liked how mean Bob was, so it's definitely a trait he displayed. Whether it was intentional or not, though, that's up for debate. And I think that it especially stands out even more now that Drew is host.

Sad but true.  When there's a warmth missing from Bob's hosting, it does come across as mean (or smug, or something). 

Take this late-'70s clip.  The contestant is as friendly & delightful as anyone who ever appeared on the show -- yet Bob doesn't seem crazy about her (to me, anyway):

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #73 on: February 15, 2020, 12:34:52 AM »
Sad but true.  When there's a warmth missing from Bob's hosting, it does come across as mean (or smug, or something). 

Take this late-'70s clip.  The contestant is as friendly & delightful as anyone who ever appeared on the show -- yet Bob doesn't seem crazy about her (to me, anyway):

Maybe it's just you. Honestly, I watched the entire clip and Barker seems perfectly cordial to her. I don't detect meanness or smugness at all.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #74 on: February 15, 2020, 02:25:17 AM »
Watching that clip, I didn't really see any smugness either. I could see how the "water thing" could be played up to smugness, but I thought it was just Bob poking fun at the contestant.

Here's my hot take: I agree with all of the pricing game renovations over the past few years. Are they making the sets more busy? Yes, they are. However, besides Double Prices, there wasn't a renovation that I hated at first glance. And I've grown to like DP's design, just for the sole fact that it gives it some distinction from 1RP, and the pattern across the back is interesting to look at.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023