Author Topic: OBIT: Kobe Bryant  (Read 5172 times)

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: OBIT: Kobe Bryant
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2020, 07:19:32 PM »
RIP Gianna "Gigi" Bryant.  :cry:

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2020, 07:42:18 PM »
I'm just heartbroken. X(

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2020, 12:14:57 AM »
So an idea has occurred to me: As a sign of respect for Kobe's passing and acknowledgement of the all time great career he had, the Hall of Fame should do a special thing this year where Kobe Bryant is the only person inducted into the Hall of Fame this year.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2020, 10:49:48 AM »
Yes this loss of life is tragic, but some of you are taking it WAY too far claiming to be "heartbroken."

Also--not one person here has mentioned Vanessa Bryant, who doubtless IS heartbroken (and much more) today, and who frankly has a lot more reason to be than anyone here. That situation matters frankly a lot more than anything NBA-related. You want to do something meaningful, stop worrying about what the Hall of Fame will or won't do and start worrying about the grieving widow.

Seriously...get over yourselves.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2020, 01:33:51 PM by therealcu2010 »

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2020, 01:34:14 PM »
I have removed Teddy's tasteless comment regarding Kobe's daughter, and all of the posts and comments referring to said comment.

Carry on. Think before you post people.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2020, 02:32:20 PM »
Also--not one person here has mentioned Vanessa Bryant … start worrying about the grieving widow.

I hate to be nitpicky, particularly on a solemn topic like this, but
Thoughts are with Kobe's family, teammates, and the NBA community at this tragic time. The worst part is that he had children who are still kids who have lost their father. Very tragic all around.

and

I suppose it was simply his time to meet the Lord, but absolutely stunning. All the condolences to his wife and the children he left behind.

I definitely agree with you though. At the end of the day, basketball is just a game, and the NBA is a business, and there are definitely more important things in life.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2020, 03:25:04 PM »
Let them have this.

I have a close friend who grew up in SoCal whose dad died very young. Sports was something he used to cope. Kobe filled that gap for an a present male role model. Kobe’s career got him into seriously following the NBA, and sparked interest in a career in statistics. He didn’t “know” Kobe, personally, but Kobe shaped his childhood is a massive way. Kobe was somebody who my friend invited into his home weekly, during the hard times as well as the good times. When my friend heard the news yesterday, he told me he felt that part of his childhood died. He knows life will go on, but for now he’s still legit heartbroken, nothing performative about it.

The NBA doesn’t have that same huge emotional pull on me, but I would never tell my friend to “get over himself”. Kobe filled a role in a lot of people’s lives in a way that not many people will ever get the chance to do.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline ThomHuge

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2020, 05:14:21 PM »
I hate to be nitpicky, particularly on a solemn topic like this, but... (snip)

I stand corrected--it's easy to overlook things like that when browsing on a mobile device.

...but I would never tell my friend to “get over himself”. Kobe filled a role in a lot of people’s lives in a way that not many people will ever get the chance to do.

You're absolutely right about the bold part, and I don't disagree. That said, your friend also probably doesn't have the history of making rather dubious (and at times even ludicrous) statements that people around here do.