Author Topic: Important Rat Race question  (Read 3624 times)

Offline LoyalFriendAndTrue

• Outside in Line
  • Spinnin' That Wheel
Important Rat Race question
« on: February 11, 2020, 12:03:42 PM »
Hello other TPIR nuts!

I was watching the game Rat Race (the one with the bright slot rats zipping along the track) and *spoiler redacted*. I'd have been like a wet hen but she took it okay. So how does anyone know that the game doesn't cheap out and make one of the rats go faster if Drew or whoever the powers of be are don't like the contestant? I'm sure they can save alot of money and prizes that way! Has anyone thought of this? Should someone let them know in case there's an investigation or something like on that game show movie? I don't want the show to go off the air!

If this situation has already been resolved then let me know and I'll erase all this writing. Thank You!!!!!!

-Herv
« Last Edit: February 11, 2020, 04:24:56 PM by therealcu2010 »

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Important Rat Race question
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 12:07:31 PM »
Hello other TPIR nuts!

I was watching the game Rat Race (the one with the bright slot rats zipping along the track) and (spoiler removed). I'd have been like a wet hen but she took it okay. So how does anyone know that the game doesn't cheap out and make one of the rats go faster if Drew or whoever the powers of be are don't like the contestant? I'm sure they can save alot of money and prizes that way! Has anyone thought of this? Should someone let them know in case there's an investigation or something like on that game show movie? I don't want the show to go off the air!

If this situation has already been resolved then let me know and I'll erase all this writing. Thank You!!!!!!

-Herv

It’s literally federally illegal to rig any gameplay aspect of a game show. They can’t control who ultimately plays the game. Drew Carey always makes it a point to explain that the five rats are randomly picked from hundreds, and there’s no guarantee the rats will even finish, let alone finish in the top three.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2020, 11:07:31 PM by PayingTheRent »

• Outside in Line
  • Spinnin' That Wheel
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 12:13:31 PM »
Thank you for the fast answer ooboh! I thought it was probably illegal so I got worried. Knowing that it's all been checked out above the board will let me relax until tomorrow's show. I just want it to be a fair race for the rats and contestants. I had no idea they had hundreds of rats backstage or wherever though! I wonder where they buy them (do they sell them in the Price is Right gift shop?)

-Herv

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2020, 01:01:19 PM »
do they sell them in the Price is Right gift shop?

I have to admit, I find that to be an interesting thought!!!

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2020, 01:33:49 PM »
I remember a behind-the-scenes video on priceisright.com when Rat Race debuted. Drew said he bought the rats on the internet, and a shot in the workshop showed a blue box of wind-up mice.

I'm pretty sure these are the mice they use, with the fur recolored. https://www.thetoynetwork.com/6-wind-up-mouse.html

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2020, 03:38:09 PM »
A game played for $25,000+ in prizes using what looks like a $100,000+ set, and the most important feature is sold to the public at 88 cents a pop?

Just goes to show good presentation can get you invested in anything.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2020, 11:45:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure these are the mice they use, with the fur recolored. https://www.thetoynetwork.com/6-wind-up-mouse.html

Those are the ones! The top is recolored and a pin is added to the undercarriage to help guide the rat along the track.

The colorful tops can be removed from the chassis and switched, so even if a chassis performs very quickly in one playing, that same chassis might be attached to a different color the next time it makes it onto the stage.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

• Outside in Line
  • Spinnin' That Wheel
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2020, 11:25:42 AM »

Oh wow I might get a bunch of these and set up a track of my own since my carport is empty now! Where do they get the fancy color furs though? (I won't use SHAMazon)

--Herv

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2020, 05:47:17 PM »
Oh wow I might get a bunch of these and set up a track of my own since my carport is empty now! Where do they get the fancy color furs though? (I won't use SHAMazon)

--Herv

I was going to ask Scott the same thing. I would think they just paint the fur with some special neon paint.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2020, 07:29:12 PM »
I was going to ask Scott the same thing. I would think they just paint the fur with some special neon paint.

Paint fur?
I can't imagine that would possibly go well.

It makes so much more sense to have different "covers" in a variety of colors that they can just switch at random.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2020, 09:23:59 AM »
Perhaps they meant dying fur.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2020, 09:24:43 AM »
This image is on the CBS site, and it should answer the original question as to how the game is indeed fair by randomly selecting rats from a box full of them.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.