Author Topic: 2020 MLB Season  (Read 21320 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: 2020 MLB Season
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2020, 01:24:43 PM »
The Braves opened a can of you-know-what against Miami last night,  beating...no, annihilating them, 29-9. The 29 runs scored is the most by a National League team in the modern era and second overall to the 2007 Texas Rangers who put up 30 in a game vs. Baltimore.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #31 on: September 10, 2020, 07:41:13 PM »
At least they scored.  I'll never forget the Buccos/Brewers game in 2010.  The absolute peak & defining moment of Pittsburgh's 20 years of losing
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #32 on: September 15, 2020, 05:29:16 PM »
The MLB has announced their beginning with the division series as part of a bubble agreement between Major League Baseball and the players' association. That they are playing all their postseason games at bubble sites and for the first time since 1944, The World Series being played entirely at one stadium, with the Texas Rangers' new ballpark in Arlington being the stadium to host the series.

https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id/29891648/sources-mlb-mlbpa-agree-hold-playoffs-bubble-setting

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: September 16, 2020, 11:48:31 AM »
I'm okay with that.  I actually like the bubble idea.  I can see why some wouldn't, but if there are no fans, it isn't a big deal to play in your home stadium.  Moreover, as mentioned, it would suck if someone tested positive right before a winner-take-all game or a pivotal point within a playoff series

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #34 on: September 16, 2020, 12:35:50 PM »
I would 100% support the postseason in EVERY sport being played in a bubble every year forevermore.  I've thought the quality of play in the NHL and NBA playoffs has been very good this year and I think the athletes and their performances s have benefited from not having to travel during series.  Even if things get better from a health POV in ensuing years, I still think bubbles should be the wave of the future for sports postseasons forevermore. Not having to travel during series is a big plus.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #35 on: September 16, 2020, 02:47:07 PM »
Once COVID is controlled (whatever that means exactly), I don't see bubbles working in the postseason for whatever sport for two reasons:

1. It's asking A LOT from the players to be isolated from society for two months, even if they have their families with them for some of that time. I agree that we've seen great play in the NHL bubble (and possibly the NBA bubble, I haven't been watching that), but players understand the need to be in a bubble this year. If you ask them to be in a bubble every year, they're going to resist and some will opt out like Tuukka Rask did this year.

2. More importantly, a non-trivial part of the playoffs in normal years is that fans are in the stands, going crazy for their team. They're a large part of home field advantage and the fans who have been supporting the team throughout the regular season should be able to be there for the postseason!

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2020, 12:28:09 AM »
The Washington Nationals, who were World Series champions last year, will not be returning to the playoffs this year.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2020, 09:34:24 AM »
Doesn’t like Lori Lightfoot will be giving Dan Bellino a key to the city anytime soon.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2020, 05:36:55 PM »
Yeah, I don’t think so.  Though it’s not the Cubs , but nevertheless…

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: September 28, 2020, 01:05:21 AM »
For the first time since 2003, the Marlins are in the MLB postseason and only the third time in franchise history. 

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #40 on: September 28, 2020, 01:17:34 AM »
Some "quick picks"

Dodgers over Brewers 2-0
Reds over Braves 2-1
Marlins over Cubs 2-1
Padres over Cardinals 2-1
Rays over Jays 2-0
As over White Sox 2-1
Twins over Astros 2-1
Yankees over Indians 2-1
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: September 28, 2020, 02:20:52 AM »
One thing I will say that FOX has done this season which is a blessing is bringing back the original MLB theme they first used from 1996-2007 (with FSN affiliates using that version of the theme mainly up to 2010). It remains unclear if they will use it in the playoffs but I hope they do.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: September 28, 2020, 08:59:21 AM »
For the first time since 2003, the Marlins are in the MLB postseason and only the third time in franchise history. 

Looks like the Marlins are a nice bet to win the fall classic!  No shock from me if Miami wins the 2020 World Series!

One thing I will say that FOX has done this season which is a blessing is bringing back the original MLB theme they first used from 1996-2007 (with FSN affiliates using that version of the theme mainly up to 2010). It remains unclear if they will use it in the playoffs but I hope they do.

I think it’s 50/50.  I didn’t have a problem with the NFL Theme for their League Championship Series coverage & their World Series coverage.  Probably got used to it, and it fix well enough that I wasn’t those saying it should be elusive to football.  Got a little pathetic when it started to show up during the UFC on Fox era and with their Soccer coverage. 

There’s a remix used for both College Football & their College Hoops coverage, and I like both.  However, if they stick with their “classic” theme that would be awesome

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: September 28, 2020, 12:25:46 PM »
My picks:

Tampa over Toronto
NY Yankees over Cleveland
Houston over Minnesota
Oakland over Chicago White Sox
LA Dodgers over Milwaukee
St. Louis over San Diego