Poll

What should be considered a win for this playing?

Winning the car only
3 (6.1%)
Winning the cash only
1 (2%)
Winning either the car or cash with any amount of SP's correct
36 (73.5%)
Getting all 3 SP's correct, defaulting into winning either the car or cash
9 (18.4%)

Total Members Voted: 49

Author Topic: Winning the 2020 Dream Car Week Playing of 1/2 Off  (Read 5661 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Winning the 2020 Dream Car Week Playing of 1/2 Off
« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2020, 01:36:52 AM »
Whoever said that it would be a choice?

It's not Let's Make a Deal, they're not going to let you throw one box away and pick another other one if you'd prefer a different prize. The only choice you have to make is whether to accept the prize you've won after the show or turn it down.

I'm sure every contestant who picked an empty Half Off box would preferred to have won something else, but ultimately their preferences didn't get taken into account either.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2020, 01:57:11 AM »
You know now that I think about it......obviously this didn't come up as a possibility during the game because the contestant missed on the 2nd set of prizes, but....I wonder if had she gotten down to those last 2 boxes, if they woulda given her the car and the money automatically. I could see them doing it, only because it's somewhat anti-climatic otherwise in the sense you'd already know she won, it'd just be a question of WHAT she won. I feel like the bigger moment would be in just giving her everything on the spot if she was right on the final set of prizes. I could be wrong, but that scenario would make a lot of sense...
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 02:01:17 AM by pricefan18 »

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2020, 02:09:54 AM »
How would they reveal that? Just say "you win everything" without her picking a box? Everything in Half Off is designed to build up to the box reveal, it's the most exciting part of the game.

I'd have much preferred they put the $10K and the car in the same box. I think they could get a lot more excitement out of "will the contestant win two big things, or nothing?" instead of "which big thing will they win?"
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2020, 02:16:44 AM »
when I had said earlier that it was going to be a tough choice between the $10,000 or the car, I said it was a tough choice as far as the poll is concerned. I don't recall if I participated in the poll or not, but I had asked some of my friends as to what they'd do if they were host and they were in this situation.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2020, 02:29:25 AM »
How would they reveal that? Just say "you win everything" without her picking a box? Everything in Half Off is designed to build up to the box reveal, it's the most exciting part of the game.

I'd have much preferred they put the $10K and the car in the same box. I think they could get a lot more excitement out of "will the contestant win two big things, or nothing?" instead of "which big thing will they win?"

That wouldn't be bad either, would be a better way of doing it actually without breaking the fundamental core of the game. And I know the reveal is a big part of it, but this is a special case with two prizes. It'd just seem strange to have the reveal of one or the other at that point. I really feel the suspense would be in whether she got the last set of prizes or not if it got to 4 with 1 set left. They'd obviously of course if they did do it, show money and car afterward mind from the game area as the celebration would be going on, like they do on normal losses and did here as well, so that wouldn't be an issue really in terms of how to reveal it all. (The model car inside the one box was cute incidentally, woukla expected a simple set of keys, so that was a nice touch in lieu of that I thought.)
« Last Edit: March 02, 2020, 02:35:08 AM by pricefan18 »

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2020, 03:17:10 AM »
You voiced the idea first :-D

I personally would rather it just be a dream car in addition to the $25,000 (or in 1/2 off's case $10,000). Make it a true bonus, vs. this way. But that's just me.

On paper, ending the game with the price reveal could work. A ton of games have their big reveal being a simple card being flipped over or a price revealed.

The only issue is it makes the prop the game is built around an afterthought. It's still a game "show"; if the game is visually designed around a giant prop with a big, visually interesting reveal, the viewer going to be disappointed on some level if they use don't use that prop, even if the contestant wins big.

Some criticize games like Half Off and Secret X because there's still a way to lose even if you price everything perfectly. But they kind of have to do it that way, cause the focus in those games is on the Secret X or the boxes with money in them, instead of the small prizes. Hypothetically they could offer a 4th X or 4th set of SPs so perfect pricing guarantees a winner, but those situations would make the big props totally moot and the big visual reveal irrelevant.

Bonus Game's "light up the bonus" is a very simple reveal so it doesn't lose as much if the host builds the game up to flipping the final price reveal card instead of lighting up the window, but there's a reason Shell Game doesn't do the same thing.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2020, 12:57:11 PM »
You voiced the idea first :-D

On paper, ending the game with the price reveal could work. A ton of games have their big reveal being a simple card being flipped over or a price revealed.

The only issue is it makes the prop the game is built around an afterthought. It's still a game "show"; if the game is visually designed around a giant prop with a big, visually interesting reveal, the viewer going to be disappointed on some level if they use don't use that prop, even if the contestant wins big.

Some criticize games like Half Off and Secret X because there's still a way to lose even if you price everything perfectly. But they kind of have to do it that way, cause the focus in those games is on the Secret X or the boxes with money in them, instead of the small prizes. Hypothetically they could offer a 4th X or 4th set of SPs so perfect pricing guarantees a winner, but those situations would make the big props totally moot and the big visual reveal irrelevant.

Bonus Game's "light up the bonus" is a very simple reveal so it doesn't lose as much if the host builds the game up to flipping the final price reveal card instead of lighting up the window, but there's a reason Shell Game doesn't do the same thing.

I did voice the idea first lol, although not in the same way at that time in my head lol. I had the idea of it then being you pick the box with the money, you get the car too vs. the way I thought last night they may have approached it had it reached that point. But it's a fair point lol.

And I get the reveal thing too...another reason having both in one box instead of one in two different ones, would work best for this.