Author Topic: Episodes that never aired  (Read 15839 times)

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: Episodes which never aired
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2020, 04:52:05 PM »
Dunno why we would.  I'm pretty sure Goodson was usually on the up-and-up about things like that.

I have to look it up.  But, I tend to recall in the small print of my prize paperwork, it does say something about prizes not being awarded if the show does not air.  Again, I have to look up for specific language.

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2020, 04:58:20 PM »
Dunno why we would.  I'm pretty sure Goodson was usually on the up-and-up about things like that.

From "Acknowledgment of Prizes" (AOP) document:

"If the episode of the Program in which I was a contestant is not broadcast by CBS, the prize(s) my not, in Producer's and CBS's sole and absolute discretion, be awarded, in which case neither producer nor CBS shall be obligated to pay or provide any portion of the prize (s)."

Online Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2020, 05:00:31 PM »
True - but it would also be awful publicity if they went that route so it's much easier to just award the prizes and be done with it.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2020, 05:18:29 PM »
I know the “prizes are only awarded if/when the show airs” clause has been standard nomenclature in contracts for a while; but were there any shows in the 70’s that for sure enforced it?

10ish years ago I remember when GSN picked up “Show Me The Money” reruns there were rumors that the production company finally had to pay contestants for shows that never aired on ABC, but I don’t know if they were more than rumors and speculation.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 05:20:33 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2020, 05:25:32 PM »
There's something else that occurred to me. The infamous 5/20/2008 show with the infamous $2 million bid in contestant's row was marked "not for rerun" Would there ever be any consideration to never airing such a show at all even the first time so as to keep such a contestant off the air altogether?
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2020, 06:09:59 PM »
I can't think of any reason not to first-run air a show due to a contestant. If something a contestant does is disruptive whether it be their demeanor towards other contestants, outlandishly dumb bids or camera-hogging there's the power of editing at hands. If they ask a contestant to comply to a certain behaviour they would just have to reshoot a segment. I hope that makes some sense.

In the case of contestants acting out for the sake of being on TV (continuous $420 bids, $2M bids, etc) while the show may decide never to re-air it I don't feel those are causes for concern for not first-run airing the episode at all.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: February 19, 2020, 06:10:38 PM »
The guy who just pushed the button on Flip Flop in 2005 did have his episode repeated, but that segment was preempted both times it aired.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #22 on: February 19, 2020, 06:47:28 PM »
I can't think of any reason not to first-run air a show due to a contestant. If something a contestant does is disruptive whether it be their demeanor towards other contestants, outlandishly dumb bids or camera-hogging there's the power of editing at hands. If they ask a contestant to comply to a certain behaviour they would just have to reshoot a segment. I hope that makes some sense.

In the case of contestants acting out for the sake of being on TV (continuous $420 bids, $2M bids, etc) while the show may decide never to re-air it I don't feel those are causes for concern for not first-run airing the episode at all.

It also wouldn't be fair to the other contestants on that show. They get one shot every 10 years (at most) to be on TV through TPiR, so letting one contestant ruin the stage for the other 8 contestants would not be a good thing.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: February 19, 2020, 07:34:53 PM »
The guy who just pushed the button on Flip Flop in 2005 did have his episode repeated, but that segment was preempted both times it aired.

Preempted in your market I assume right?

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #24 on: February 19, 2020, 07:57:44 PM »
Preempted in your market I assume right?
If I remember correctly, it was preempted in the east and central but aired in the mountain and pacific. Wasn't the reason for that preemption CBS Sports coverage of U.S. Open golf overruns from the day before?
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2020, 08:16:46 PM »
If I remember correctly, it was preempted in the east and central but aired in the mountain and pacific. Wasn't the reason for that preemption CBS Sports coverage of U.S. Open golf overruns from the day before?

Hmm, I feel like I remember seeing it on the East Coast feed, but that could be wrong. Can anyone clarify?

Online Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
Re: Episodes that never aired
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2020, 09:53:26 PM »
From the Internet Archive's capture of this site from 2005.

NOTE:
Today's episode was pre-empted by coverage of the Processional of Pope John Paul II's
 body to St. Peter's Basilica. Viewers in the Mountain and Pacific time zones, and Alaska
 and Hawaii, saw the show as normal. If and when a replay is scheduled it will be posted to the Anomalies Sticky in Summaries
 and Spoilers.
Unfortunately it appears the Season 33 Anomalies sticky post has been lost to time, so I can't help with any repeat airings.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2020, 09:57:05 PM »
     Wow, thanks for bringing up the old site!  Looking through the old boards for a bit ... such memories ...

(Well, SOME of it still works anyway)
« Last Edit: February 19, 2020, 10:03:33 PM by DRPrice »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2020, 10:06:29 PM »
There's something else that occurred to me. The infamous 5/20/2008 show with the infamous $2 million bid in contestant's row was marked "not for rerun" Would there ever be any consideration to never airing such a show at all even the first time so as to keep such a contestant off the air altogether?

I don't think so, unless maybe they did something extremely offensive that there was no way to edit around.

Also, a show being marked "not for rerun" isn't out of the ordinary and doesn't necessarily mean that some contestant was a jackass.  Some episodes just aren't considered good enough to be worth airing a second time.  That's just the only one we've ever found out about.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2020, 10:06:54 PM »
Pre-empted episodes all get aired.  If they're only partially pre-empted, they might not get aired in their entirety in every timezone (and some parts occasionally don't get aired in any timezone), because they're never guaranteed to be rerun, but they do get broadcast.  Outside of a small number of shows that were intentionally pulled because of severe production errors, the only episode that's never been aired at all is September 14, 1978, a half-hour episode that was taped in anticipation of a magazine show pre-empting the first half of Price's time slot that day that ended up not being needed.

Surprising that one never got aired during the Bake Off years (since they needed the 1/2 hour episode there, and I was thinking at least some of them were older ones rerun).