Author Topic: Episodes that never aired  (Read 15842 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Episodes that never aired
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2020, 10:09:16 PM »
Unfortunately it appears the Season 33 Anomalies sticky post has been lost to time, so I can't help with any repeat airings.

I distinctly remember that rerun being partially pre-empted on the East Coast when coverage of a golf tournament ran long.

Surprising that one never got aired during the Bake Off years (since they needed the 1/2 hour episode there, and I was thinking at least some of them were older ones rerun).

I seriously doubt anyone remembered the episode existed at that point.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Episodes which never aired
« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2020, 01:30:34 AM »
I know the “prizes are only awarded if/when the show airs” clause has been standard nomenclature in contracts for a while; but were there any shows in the 70’s that for sure enforced it?

10ish years ago I remember when GSN picked up “Show Me The Money” reruns there were rumors that the production company finally had to pay contestants for shows that never aired on ABC, but I don’t know if they were more than rumors and speculation.

There have been a couple of short-lived game shows where it was rumored that the contestants didn't get their prizes for episodes that were produced, but didn't air before the show's cancellation.  I think that's one of the reasons for this clause... so the contestants in unaired shows can't claim creditor status if the production goes belly up.  And once the show is toast, what do they care about bad publicity?

The contestant agreements generally give game show productions any number of technical outs, to the point that they can legally give a contestant pretty much anything they choose as long as it is at least as valuable as the prize shown on the show.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Episodes which never aired
« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2020, 02:54:34 AM »
The contestant agreements generally give game show productions any number of technical outs, to the point that they can legally give a contestant pretty much anything they choose as long as it is at least as valuable as the prize shown on the show.

Was that always the case? Or did that change somewhere along the line during the post Quiz Scandal era and onward?

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2020, 06:19:32 AM »
The July 1958 episode of TV Guide had an article about Bill Cullen that mentioned the infamous "Bob Stewart offered an elephant as a joke intending to give the contestant a check but the contestant actually wanted the elephant" incident. Wiki says the quiz scandal broke that very next month when allegations about Dotto came out in August 1958.

Even if every detail about the elephant story isn't 100% true, the idea that Bob Stewart was willing to confess to swapping out prizes in TV Guide supports the practice being used before the scandals.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline gameshowfandanny

• Outside in Line
« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2020, 03:20:25 PM »
Here are some examples:
1. The third episode of the Bob Barker era (September 6, 1972) never aired because of an ineligible contestant.
2. The third episode of the syndicated nighttime show was not aired because a set of calculators that were offered as a prize malfunctioned.
3. An episode taped in 1976 was not aired for unknown reasons.
4. A 1978 episode was unaired for unknown reasons.
5. June 8, 1988 was never aired due to Janice Pennington breaking her collarbone after getting hit with a camera.
6. A 2001 episode never aired because during the showcase, the contestants switched places to try to cheat.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2020, 04:52:20 PM »
Here are some examples:
1. The third episode of the Bob Barker era (September 6, 1972) never aired because of an ineligible contestant.
2. The third episode of the syndicated nighttime show was not aired because a set of calculators that were offered as a prize malfunctioned.
3. An episode taped in 1976 was not aired for unknown reasons.
4. A 1978 episode was unaired for unknown reasons.
5. June 8, 1988 was never aired due to Janice Pennington breaking her collarbone after getting hit with a camera.
6. A 2001 episode never aired because during the showcase, the contestants switched places to try to cheat.

The June 1988 episode DID air unless someone can say otherwise. There's video of the episode on YouTube with an edit between when the incident happened, and the reshot introduction after. They only used 2 models that day I believe, but it still went on.

And the nighttime show...malfunctioned? Not heard of this, what happened?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: February 20, 2020, 05:09:40 PM »
Here are some examples:

Pardon my language, but I call bullshit on this. Source?

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #37 on: February 20, 2020, 05:23:12 PM »
Pardon my language, but I call bullshit on this. Source?

He’s pulling stuff out of a hat. His other post asks if there’s even been an episode with 0/6 pricing games for one. Ergo, he’s a troll. I’ve sent a PM to Steve about this

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #38 on: February 20, 2020, 06:00:35 PM »
He’s pulling stuff out of a hat. His other post asks if there’s even been an episode with 0/6 pricing games for one. Ergo, he’s a troll. I’ve sent a PM to Steve about this

Yeah.....that didn't sit well with me either. Also unsure how they could cheat exactly either.

Offline gameshowfandanny

• Outside in Line
« Reply #39 on: February 20, 2020, 06:05:00 PM »
Here are my sources:
Lost Media Archive: The Price is Right (Missing 1970s-2000s Episodes)
TV Tropes: Missing Game Show Episodes
Here is the part from Lost Media Archive:
"What are missing are episodes that had mistakes take place. The third episode ever taped for the daytime revival in 1972 never aired due to a contestant being ineligible and playing anyway. The third episode of the syndicated nighttime run, also taped in 1972, was never aired due to a special set of calculators they used for the show malfunctioning. Two more episodes, taped in 1976 and 1978, were never aired for unknown reasons. On June 8, 1988, production stopped when Janice Pennington got hit with a camera, completely knocking her off the stage and broke her collarbone. As a result, she no longer wore swimsuits on the show. In 2001, yet another episode went unaired due to two contestants switching places in order to cheat. It is not known if any more episodes like this exist or what has become of these other ones. None of the ones mentioned in this paragraph have surfaced."
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 06:12:13 PM by gameshowfandanny »

Offline gameshowfandanny

• Outside in Line
« Reply #40 on: February 20, 2020, 06:06:38 PM »
The June 1988 episode DID air unless someone can say otherwise. There's video of the episode on YouTube with an edit between when the incident happened, and the reshot introduction after. They only used 2 models that day I believe, but it still went on.

And the nighttime show...malfunctioned? Not heard of this, what happened?
Sorry for the double post, but Lost Media Archive says that it didn't air.
EDIT: Lost Media Archive doesn't say anything about it not airing. Sorry for the confusion.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 06:13:29 PM by gameshowfandanny »

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #41 on: February 20, 2020, 06:13:27 PM »
I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful with googles, but it would have been a little more helpful to point out the original source of the calculator issue; it wasn't a set of calculators that malfunctioned, just the people tabulating the prices of the showcases were bad. And for the showcase, it appears that it wasn't the showcase; it was people on Contestants' Row. From the TV Tropes page:

and one [episode was replaced] in 2000 (due to the contestants changing places in Contestant's Row but no one noticing).

This is further backed up from our timeline's post describing the affair. From the last week of Season 28:

The original Wednesday show, taped on June 26 and redesignated at some point as episode #1513X, was never aired, apparently because two contestants ended up in the wrong spots in Contestants' Row at some point during the proceedings; it was replaced with a new episode #1513K, taped on September 11. According to our member MrBill1978, who was at the taping of episode #1513X, the two episodes had identical prizes and pricing game lineups.

Whoever ran the Wikia post probably just copied/pasted an old, incorrect version. "Fandom" pages aren't typically the most credible.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2020, 06:15:43 PM by TPIRfan#9821 »
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2020, 06:15:31 PM »
Here are some examples:

What do you call this?

Use the report button instead.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline gameshowfandanny

• Outside in Line
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2020, 06:17:06 PM »
I appreciate that you are trying to be helpful with googles, but it would have been a little more helpful to point out the original source of the calculator issue; it wasn't a set of calculators that malfunctioned, just the people tabulating the prices of the showcases were bad. And for the showcase, it appears that it wasn't the showcase; it was people on Contestants' Row. From the TV Tropes page:

Whoever ran the Wikia post probably just copied/pasted an old, incorrect version. "Fandom" pages aren't typically the most credible.
I never saw the original source of the calculator issue. TV Tropes also says the cheating thing, though the same person could've added it, so maybe you're right.

Offline gameshowfandanny

• Outside in Line
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2020, 06:18:22 PM »
What do you call this?

[link to video]

Use the report button instead.
Maybe that was also false.