Author Topic: PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1975) - END  (Read 23165 times)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1975) - END
« on: February 21, 2020, 12:45:17 PM »
Get ready to expand to the fabulous 60-minute PatrickRox80 Price is Right!  :biggrin:

As this episode is going to follow the full-hour format, I've adjusted the rules to accommodate the Showcase Showdown.
  • I will PM you if you've been chosen to "Come on down!" I will also send you a PM if you've made it to the Showcase.
  • For the Showcase Showdown, you are to give me these items in the following order: two numbers from 1-20, your minimum staying score and a third number 1-20 in the event of a bonus spin and/or spinoff.
  • All deadlines are 24 hours.
  • Miss a deadline during the One Bid, and it's an automatic pass. Miss a second One Bid, and you'll be ejected with another contestant called down to replace you.
  • Miss a deadline during a pricing game and it's an instant loss.
  • Miss during the Showcase Showdown and it's an automatic over. Someone from Contestant's Row will replace you.
  • Miss during the Showcases and you'll lose your chance to bid. The highest-surviving winner from your Showcase Showdown will take your place.
  • If timing is an issue for you, send me a PM and we'll work things out.
  • All instances of cheating will be treated as a missed deadline. If you are caught cheating a second time, you will be blacklisted from participating in my shows.
  • Audience participation is encouraged.
  • Have fun!
But enough about that. Here is this year's interview question:

The daytime version of the Price is Right expanded to an hour this year. Suppose the syndicated format with Dennis James was to do the same. How would you do the Showcase Showdown in this case? Would you keep the Big Wheel? Tweak it a bit? Come up with something entirely different for the three pricing game players for each half?

Sign-ups will close on Monday, February 24 at 7:00 PM EST. Good luck, everybody!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 09:37:26 AM by therealcu2010 »

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
Re: PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1975)
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2020, 12:54:05 PM »
If it was me, I would keep the big wheel. But the payouts should be different. For example, for getting $1 in 1 or a combination of 2 spins resulting in $2,000 and a bonus spin. In the bonus spin if it stops on the on the 5¢ or the 15¢ that will mean $25,000 but if it stops on the $1 it would mean $250,000.

Offline gameshowfandanny

• Outside in Line
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2020, 01:05:06 PM »
If I'm eligible, my idea is that the Wheel should have 20 envelopes like Wheel of Fortune's Bonus Round. (20 envelopes because the Wheel has 20 spaces). There is one of each value. The dollar envelope would be $1.00 instead of 100. Here is my breakout:
$1.00

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2020, 01:08:37 PM »
I'll play!

I'd keep the SS just as it was, but use the side-spinning Rainbow Wheel!
1,719 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2020, 06:19:13 PM »
The daytime version of the Price is Right expanded to an hour this year. Suppose the syndicated format with Dennis James was to do the same. How would you do the Showcase Showdown in this case? Would you keep the Big Wheel? Tweak it a bit? Come up with something entirely different for the three pricing game players for each half?

Instead of ripping off Wheel of Fortune, they rip off Sale of the Century.

The three contestants play a sort of Silent Auction on a grocery item. (This was in the days when GPs were 29-99 cents.)

The three players stand behind podiums a la Sale of the Century. Dennis James raises the price about 5 cents each time. Like an auction, a player can buzz after an amount is read to "bid" that amount. Dennis keeps raising the price higher and higher (eventually going higher in smaller increments once players become more reluctant to bid)

Game ends in one of two ways:

1) If Dennis can't get any of the players to bid any higher, he reveals the ARP. Closest without going over wins.
2) If two players have bids over the ARP, a buzzer immediately goes off and the game immediately ends. The player who did not go over wins.

Winner gets a $500 bonus. If they freeze on the exact prize, they win $1,000.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2020, 11:29:21 PM »
I would personally keep the Big Wheel, but like geniusinmath, I would change the payouts:
  • a total of $1.00 in either one or two spins is worth $10,000.
  • in the bonus spin, green sections and the dollar are worth $2,000 times the number shown (i.e., 5 is worth $10,000, 15 is worth $30,000, and 100 is worth $200,000); all other spins are worth that many hundred dollars (i.e., 35 is worth $3,500, 90 is worth $9,000, 10 is worth $1,000, etc.)
I would also use a modified version of the Big Wheel that is designed to look more like it belongs in a nighttime version of the show as opposed to the regular Big Wheel.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2020, 04:19:06 AM »
I would just simply mix up all of the numbers on the big wheel to make things interesting there! By the way I'm playing!  :biggrin:

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2020, 11:07:38 AM »
It’s the 70s, man.  We’ve gotta go far out with this new layout.  Screw the wheel, we need a wall with all 20 numbers up there arranged randomly, each illuminated by large, bright-red neon numbers.  We’ll dim the lights in the studio, and the numbers will light up at random (think Second Chance with a similar sound effect).  The contestant will hit a button to stop the board, and whichever number they land on is the number they get and so on... (rules from that point are exactly the same as they are with the normal SCSD format).
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline pathfinder20

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2020, 01:39:57 PM »
I would keep the rainbow wheel as well and spin as normal. Get a dollar win $1000 and bonus spin. Get a 100 again you get $10,000 any thing else will be multiple by 50. (It is the seventies). Let’s play.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: February 22, 2020, 09:19:43 PM »
Two words for the Showcase Showdown on the nighttime version: Disco battle.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2020, 01:47:16 PM »
Nine players already! Sign-ups are still open for another 29 hours!

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2020, 10:16:26 PM »
I'd be down to join.

In regards to replacing the Showcase Showdown, I wouldn't want to. However, there is one cool alternative I might try. Right after each pricing game, have a price along with 3 other GPs rolled out. Then, starting with the 1st contestant getting on stage (4th in the second half of games), they pick which item matches the price. Whoever picks correctly goes to the showcases.

Each item can only be chosen once, so it's not much more fair than what's in place now, but at least there is some pricing involved.  :-)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1975 - Standby)
« Reply #12 on: February 24, 2020, 07:02:58 PM »
Sign-Ups are now closed! We will start later tonight.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: PatrickRox80's The Price is Right: Seasons (1975 - IUFB 1)
« Reply #13 on: February 24, 2020, 10:24:24 PM »
*1975 intro*

George Gray: And here it comes! The first, big, hour-long game show in television! The fabulous, new, 60-minute Price Is Right!

PayingTheRent, come on down!

GameShowFan9001, come on down!

geniusinmath, come on down!

And gamesurf, come on down!

You are the first contestants on The Price is Right!

And now, here is the star of The Price is Right, PatrickRox80!

*stands behind door number two as it opens, then walks out on stage, accepts mic from Janice and bows*

Welcome to The Hour-Long Price is Right! Thank you, all! It's so great to be here. By adding another 30 minutes to our time slot, we've also thrown in some new surprises that I'm sure you're all going to enjoy. We have more prizes to give away, some new games but we've kept the core of the show the same. First, as always, we have to start with an item up for bids. George?

George: An accordion!

The Weltmeister black Rubin piano accordion will make you the next hit at your polka party whether your preference is Weird Al or Frank Yankovic. Just don't get them confused. Lightweight yet versatile, it has 30 fully-functioning piano keys and 60 bass buttons.

That accordion will go to whoever comes the closest to its actual retail price without going over.

PayingTheRent, what do you bid?

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2020, 07:28:53 AM »
Not sure how I ended up in the first spot when I was the first contestant called on down and should be in the last position... Guess I got a bit too excited when the generic polka music was piped in. 🥴😝

Whatever.

EIGHT HUNDRED!
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker