Author Topic: Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy close off tapings until further notice  (Read 2107 times)

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
No live audience on WOF or J! for a while because of the coronavirus scare, reports TMZ.

https://www.tmz.com/2020/03/09/jeopardy-wheel-of-fortune-scrap-audience-coronavirus-spread-alex-trebek/

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy close off tapings until further notice
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2020, 10:49:31 PM »
Wow, if this is true that's going to be strange to not have audiences at those tapings. It's understandable certainly for Jeopardy though given Alex's condition. Many contestants travel from outside the area to be on the show too though.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2020, 11:04:39 PM »
Wheel taped the Vanna episodes this season with no audience, and considering how Wheel's audience doesn't really react to anything nowadays nobody will tell the difference whether the clapping after every right letter or the aww'ing when someone loses the Bonus Round is real or added in post.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2020, 01:46:26 AM »
Wheel taped the Vanna episodes this season with no audience

Wow, I didn't know that.

From the perspective of a hypothetical audience member, if I were heading out to California and one of my "bucket list" highlights was going to see Wheel in person, I'm not sure how I'd feel.  I don't know if I'd be disappointed at not getting to see Pat, or thrilled at the prospect of being one of the proportionate few to actually be in the audience during one of Vanna's shows.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.