Author Topic: Upcoming Tapings  (Read 7852 times)

Offline Spmahn

• In the Audience
Upcoming Tapings
« on: March 10, 2020, 12:33:28 PM »
I know the last guy who brought this up was summarily smacked down, but I really think it’s worth discussing now. Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune announced yesterday that tapings for the rest of the season will be without an audience. Part of the reasoning for the decision was the fact that the tapings are often attended by out of towners so the  risk of spreading illness is potentially higher. On the one hand, Jeopardy and Wheel might be exceptional cases since Alex’s health is obviously of utmost concern, and Pat Sajak is no spring chicken either, but on the other hand TPIR relies far more on audience participation and interaction than either of those two. Given the obvious concerns that have been in the news recently, and the fact that many other events that involve a group setting have been impacted, can or should we expect a disruption in the schedule for TPIR, or will they simply proceed with the “abundance of caution” if you will.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Upcoming Tapings
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2020, 06:24:15 PM »
Let's Make a Deal falls in this too......I saw it brought up on this topic when it came up as well. Will be quite interesting to see what happens with both.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2020, 06:26:18 PM »
Jeopardy and Wheel of Fortune announced yesterday that tapings for the rest of the season will be without an audience.

I've seen this a couple of places and the length of time is actually undefined. From the Washington Post article:

Quote from: Washington Post
Neither “Jeopardy!” nor “Wheel of Fortune” specified how long the crews will keep the public off the game-show sets.
"Drew is the greatest at the show that Drew does...how do we make Bob's show Drew's show?"
~ Mike Richards, Cover Story: The Price is Right, aired June 17, 2018

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2020, 07:52:18 PM »
Dr. Phil is also taping without an audience now.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2020, 07:55:07 PM »
Dr. Phil is also taping without an audience now.

As is Wendy Williams.

Offline RatRace10

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2020, 07:58:28 PM »
As is Wendy Williams.

60% of that show is the audience cheering and agreeing with everything Wendy says. So are they going to just do what Wheel does and insert shots from past episodes and use canned cheers?

Ellen will probably join in as well.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2020, 08:05:10 PM »
60% of that show is the audience cheering and agreeing with everything Wendy says. So are they going to just do what Wheel does and insert shots from past episodes and use canned cheers?

Ellen will probably join in as well.

The way all the media has been hyping up the fear and hysteria around this, it would not surprise me a single bit personally to see pretty much every show being spoken of going out of their way to point out the lack of the audience. Would give a much more dramatic effect than if they just went the canned audience route ala Wheel with Vanna for example, and that's sorta the name of the game at the moment I think, keep all that panic and tense energy right at the forefront of things. Could be wrong, but....it'd not shock me if this is what you see.

Offline SuperSweeper

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2020, 09:54:09 PM »
The show taped today, so I don’t know when/if they will cancel or delay tapings.

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/19
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2020, 12:45:30 PM »
The difference between The Price is Right and Wheel/Jeopardy is that TPiR literally can't exist without an audience. Pre-selecting contestants would ruin a key aspect of the show, which is of course the excitement of unsuspecting people in the audience being called to come on down. So really the only option TPiR would have would be to cancel tapings entirely and either make them up later or shorten the season. Of course, a bunch of episodes were preempted due to the impeachment hearings, so if they shortened the season, they could fill in the gaps with episodes that were preempted. It wouldn't surprise me if they went that route.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2020, 01:27:45 PM »
The difference between The Price is Right and Wheel/Jeopardy is that TPiR literally can't exist without an audience. Pre-selecting contestants would ruin a key aspect of the show, which is of course the excitement of unsuspecting people in the audience being called to come on down. So really the only option TPiR would have would be to cancel tapings entirely and either make them up later or shorten the season. Of course, a bunch of episodes were preempted due to the impeachment hearings, so if they shortened the season, they could fill in the gaps with episodes that were preempted. It wouldn't surprise me if they went that route.

How far ahead in taping are they right now this close to the end of the season? Like how many episodes would need to be cut at this point if they stopped taping?

Offline jude_este

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2020, 01:58:18 PM »
How far ahead in taping are they right now this close to the end of the season? Like how many episodes would need to be cut at this point if they stopped taping?

Excluding the episode that will be taping this afternoon at 1 pm, they have about 28 shows left to tape for the season according to On Camera Audiences.

Online supersaver87

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2020, 02:26:33 PM »
There was that one episode from 1988 where they played with a far smaller audience due to a storm. Perhaps they'd try to do that again?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2020, 02:29:37 PM »
There was that one episode from 1988 where they played with a far smaller audience due to a storm. Perhaps they'd try to do that again?

That could be interesting, but even then.......very different situation (I've seen people suggesting moving WrestleMania indoors vs outdoors similar to what they did for WM 7 after supposed terroristic type threats due to the Gulf War and having Sgt. Slaughter a then Iraqi Sympathizer in storyline as champion), be a big risk even for a small group of people. I think again like Mania......they would cancel tapings before they did anything else.

Online SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2020, 05:41:12 PM »
Of course, a bunch of episodes were preempted due to the impeachment hearings, so if they shortened the season, they could fill in the gaps with episodes that were preempted. It wouldn't surprise me if they went that route.

Actually, there's only seven episodes that were fully pre-empted, and five of those (Mash-Up Week) have already been rescheduled for later this month.  That just leaves two shows.

That said, there's only 26 more episodes to tape after today, and only two of those come before June.  If they needed to cancel tapings, it probably wouldn't be that hard to pick back up later in the spring without disrupting the air schedule.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline jayfranken

• In the Audience
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2020, 06:17:41 PM »
Honestly, a large amount of the viewing population likely wouldn't even notice if they went with repeats once they ran out of new episodes that have already been taped and/or preempted. Which would make me not surprised at all if out of an abundance of caution they put a hiatus on new tapings for the next few months and start back up around mid-summer like they normally do each year if it is feasible then. With a larger than normal amount of people working from home I wouldn't even be surprised if they ran repeats of big money week, dream car week, etc down the road these next few weeks.