Author Topic: NCAA announces 2020 basketball tournament games will have limited attendance  (Read 2613 times)

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
I noticed that it said "limited" family. So would that mean that family here means parents, siblings, and children ?
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline dagdoggnh

• Walking the Golden Road
Absolutely, it does mean that.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
in a odd way the television and radio ratings and streaming numbers are going to be way bigger than normal and the NCAA and schools involved probably don't lose that much on ticket revenue and concession sales because the ad revenue and ratings are going to even that out in the end

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
NCAA's revenues in 2019 were $1.12 billion.

March Madness television rights alone are worth about $800 million each year. Last year's ticket sales brought in about $130 million.

Ad revenue for March Madness in 2019 was about $933 million. But why should the NCAA get any of that ad revenue? Isn't that income source what CBS/Turner is paying the NCAA $800 million for?

I don't see how bigger ratings would balance out the NCAA's losses. Maybe the NCAA would get a small cut of the ad revenue, but hard to imagine it would be $130 million worth. Unless the NCAA has a sweetheart bonus in their contract for meeting a certain ratings threshold, or can renegotiate quickly, the NCAA is still going to lose a lot of money on this.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline RatRace10

Is there any chance of March Madness getting cancelled like NBA? I get it's a huge thing and it generates tons of money for CBS, though I'd be amused if it was because it means Wheel of Fortune doesn't get pre-empted in many cities.  :oldlol:

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Is there any chance of March Madness getting cancelled like NBA? I get it's a huge thing and it generates tons of money for CBS, though I'd be amused if it was because it means Wheel of Fortune doesn't get pre-empted in many cities.  :oldlol:

A virus that's spreading fast, causing cancellations everywhere and you caring about Wheel airing in preemptive markets is a bit uncalled for.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline RatRace10

You're right. I'm sorry. :( Wasn't trying to downplay it.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
in a odd way the television and radio ratings and streaming numbers are going to be way bigger than normal...

Maybe from curiosity, but probably not from eyeballs that would otherwise be at the arenas.  The capacity of this year's Final Four venue is 71,000 people, which is the equivalent of about 1/20th of a ratings point.

Unless the NCAA has a sweetheart bonus in their contract for meeting a certain ratings threshold, or can renegotiate quickly, the NCAA is still going to lose a lot of money on this.

I have seen at least one report that says the NCAA is fully insured against losses on the basketball tournament.  Or at least it thinks it is (the underwriter may try to wiggle its way out of full payment).

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
The coronavirus is having a ripple effect on the college hoops world: Not only are all the major conference tournaments cancelled, but the entire March Madness tournament is as well.