Author Topic: TPiR and LMaD See Large Ratings Boost During Pandemic  (Read 2775 times)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
TPiR and LMaD See Large Ratings Boost During Pandemic
« on: April 03, 2020, 07:01:35 AM »
We all know that many people watch game shows when forced to stay at home. It turns out both The Price is Right and Let's Make a Deal saw large increases in their ratings last week due to people forced to stay home during the Pandemic.

https://time.com/5813847/tv-viewership-surge-coronavirus/
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR and LMaD See Large Ratings Boost During Pandemic
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2020, 02:27:20 AM »
All those kids home from school... seems perfectly logical to me.

If anything, this might make for a brand new set of loyal friends to the shows.

Makes me wonder if GR.net has seen an increase in hits to the site for the same reasons?
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2020, 10:14:03 AM »
In a way this is in a sense a back to the past moment for Price, given it's likely more than a few late Generation Xers-early millennials got hooked on it when snow days or other longer than usual disruption would keep them inside for extended periods back in the day.  Of course, eventually the virus will thankfully fade away, but if this does introduce more of today's generation to the show, all the better in regards to overall viewership. 

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2020, 05:58:24 PM »
All those kids home from school... seems perfectly logical to me.
Many people of all ages are home right now during the day, not just kids. Kids are more likely to view online content or streaming also.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2020, 12:34:43 PM »
Not a snowball’s chance my kids watch live TV. And one likes Price. Would never think to go to a particular channel at a set time. Streaming rules the day, when not doing schoolwork. This definitely ain’t 1985.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2020, 01:17:53 PM »
Perhaps some of the parents home with their kids are watching the show with them.  Seems there could be some (particularly mathematical) lessons that could be learned from the show, after all. 

Also some real life ones, like when the car your teenager is interested in getting when they learn to drive shows up, they can see how much it actually costs, and compare that to what they have saved to buy a car to see how likely they won't be able to buy it.