Author Topic: Top Five Game Show Announcers of All Time  (Read 7250 times)

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Top Five Game Show Announcers of All Time
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2007, 09:20:01 PM »
1. Johnny Olson-You tell me why...:-P

2. Rod Roddy-First heard him on "Press Your Luck". Never would've imagined he would go on to TPIR and it gave him love and support from us all. May God Bless Rod.

3. Gene Wood-Showed lots of personality in his announcing.

4. Johnny Gilbert-Great voice.

5. Charlie O'Donnell-Lots of excitement in his announcing.

Offline Garvin8r

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Top Five Game Show Announcers of All Time
« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2007, 09:34:05 PM »
There are so many left out I couldn't stop at 5.  Here's my top tier:

1) Johnny Olson -- The greatest there ever was.  The greatest there ever will be.
2) Jay Stewart -- LMaD takes a certain type of announcer.  Jay set the standard there and was awesome in the 80s as well.
3) Rod Roddy -- He replaced the legend at the top of this list and held his own.  He got it after a good run on PYL.
4) Gene Wood -- That voice stays with us after all the great work he did for Goodson-Todman.
5) Johnny Gilbert -- Few realize he was actually a host in the early 60s.  He's made an even better career behind the mic.
6) Charlie O'Donnell -- Such a fluid voice; very easy to listen to.  Also has personality, which is required to make this list.  Even with over 30 years of continuous service, gets overshadowed a bit by those above him.
7) Don Pardo -- Probably would be higher on this list had he not stayed in NYC after most game show production switched coasts.  Still does a great job on SNL.