Author Topic: 9821's The Price is Right Episode 1 - Something... interesting?  (Read 22717 times)

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Hello all! I'm throwing my hat into the ring and hosting my own episode of The Price is Right! Ever since this section was rebooted, we've had tributes back to the early 1970s, wacky setups, and lovely half-hour and hour shows.

Well, I think it's time for a slight change of pace. Besides Contestant's Row, I tried to change with the formula a little bit, including:
  • My lineup is going to consist of two original(!!) games, a third game heavily inspired from another game show, and a retired game! That's right; four games!
  • The Showcase Showdown is replaced with The Price Gift Exchange! I will line up our four winners in order of winnings, and then reveal one prize at a time. The Top Winner can decide if they want to bid on the item or pass it to the contestant to the right. Then, after a contestant bids, the next item is revealed, and the process repeats until all four contestants bid on different items. Whoever's the closest without going over gets to keep their item and play in the Showcase!
  • The Showcase will play similarly to TNPiR '94, where the contestant randomly chooses a range in which they guess the value of their showcase, from $6,000 to $15,000. However, they also get to choose between one of two themes, and can give up half of their range for the price of one of the items!
  • More cowbell!

So, with that in mind, who's ready to play?

If you want to get contestant priority, I've got just the prompt for you!

I wanted to create a HYO ever since it came back. In fact, I've been working on and off this script since July 10th. This script is now like 8% of what that original script is. Let's say I could go back in time and give myself friendly advice from today, March 24th. What is the one piece of advice I should give myself?

Participation in the prompt isn't required, but is recommended. I plan to start the show at around 9:00 PM EST, on March 27th, but will adjust the date if necessary.

Also, the nitty gritty:
  • I'll PM you when you get called on down, when you make it on stage, and if you make it to the Showcase.
  • Deadlines are 24 hours, but you don't officially get penalized until after I say so. So, if you miss a deadline but preform the action before I call you for it, you are fine.
  • Missing your chance on Contestants' Row will be an automatic pass on your first offense and an ejection on your second.
  • Missing your chance at the start of a pricing game will result in you being swapped with the next-closest player during that IUFB, and you will have to earn your way back onto the stage. Missing a deadline after you've given an action will result in an automatic loss.
  • If you forget to place a bid during the Gift Exchange, if it is your first warning, the prize will automatically be passed. If it is not your first warning OR if you cannot pass, you will be replaced with some stuck on Contestants' Row.
  • If you forget to bid on the Showcase, you will be replaced with the second place person from the Gift Exchange.
  • Audience, don't help during the IUFBs, but feel free to chime in anytime else!
  • Have fun, and feel free to ask any questions, before or during the game!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 09:36:57 AM by therealcu2010 »
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: 9821's The Price is Right Episode 1 - Something... interesting?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2020, 09:04:16 PM »
Oh boy, excited to try this new recipe!

I wanted to create a HYO ever since it came back. In fact, I've been working on and off this script since July 10th. This script is now like 8% of what that original script is. Let's say I could go back in time and give myself friendly advice from today, March 24th. What is the one piece of advice I should give myself?

Narrowing it down to one piece of advice is difficult, but if you could only do one:

Anything you were planning on doing in 2020, make sure you do it before the end of February.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2020, 09:11:51 PM »
If at first you don’t succeed, then skydiving definitely isn’t for you.
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!

Online Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2020, 10:04:18 PM »
The best piece of advice? Help control the pet population; have your pets spayed or neutered!

I'll play!
1,697 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2020, 10:15:17 PM »
I'm intrigued.

"Early to rise and early to bed makes a man healthy but socially dead."

Online PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2020, 10:29:06 PM »
Might as well keep the theme going.

"Never ask what hot dogs are made of."

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2020, 01:00:05 AM »
I say never give up.
Count me in.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2020, 07:15:42 AM »
Woah, this sounds like it's gonna be great, I'm definitely in.

My advice back would be to stock up on all the toilet paper. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2020, 07:19:03 AM by 123123123 »

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2020, 08:18:32 AM »
A new format, huh? I'm actually surprised cu approved this script, since it's quite different from the original Price. But, hey, let's do it! Now what's my advice...well, since Numbers stole my first idea, here's the only thing I could've told you:

Don't go on a cruise after February.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2020, 08:55:38 AM »
It's really not that radically different. The only thing that's different is the Showcase Showdown format... and the Showcase itself for that matter. Everything else still flows like the real show does.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2020, 02:01:45 PM »
I'll play, I really like the Gift Exchange idea as a new version of the SCSD.

As for my advice, make sure your computer can handle both hosting the show and working from home (or online classes if you're a student) come March.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #11 on: March 26, 2020, 05:24:47 PM »
Make sure the prize department is avoiding COVID-19 conflicts with their choices.  Trips to anywhere but home are pretty much out of the question unless this episode isn’t airing for a long while.  :oldlol:
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Online GameShowFan9001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2020, 08:26:21 PM »

This will certainly be an interesting change of format.  I'm in.

The advice I'd give: "You're not gonna want to leave your house at all once 2020 rolls around.  Do not ask why.  Just don't leave your house.  And make sure you have toilet paper."

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2020, 12:32:13 AM »
Wow, I'm surprised by the turnout! Everyone, just sit back, relax, and enjoy the show!

Here it comes, from a random person's computer in the middle of California, presented on the golden-road.net boards, it's The Price is Right!

tpir04, come on down!

Prizes, come on down!

123123123, come on down!

And tpiradam, come on down!

You are the first four contestants as we stay inside for this special edition of The Price is Right! And now, here's your host, Mr. 9821!

*cheers from the audience, as I come out taking off a facemask*

Hello everyone! Thank you for coming out! Unfortunately, we don't have models today, because this is already a social gathering of more than 10 people, but hey, if only 7 people get called on down, that's only 9 people that get on camera!

Anyways, I hope you guys are ready for surprises in this 45-minute episode. Announcer, can we see the first item up for bids?

Can do. It's a designer watch!

This innovative wrist watch doesn't have any numbers on it! Instead, with the press of a button, this watch tells the time with only words and four dots. This watch comes with 114 illuminating units, an adjustable Milanaise bracelet, and a 39mm by 39mm brushed stainless steel case!

Alright, so let's get down to the bidding. We'll start with tpir04, and then go down the line, just as usual. I beseech you to not bid over $19,999, since we still use the seven-segment displays. (21:33 PDT/00:33 EST)
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: 9821's The Price is Right Episode 1 - Something... interesting? - IUFB1
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2020, 08:12:00 AM »
Uhhhh 9821? The four of us down here are less than six feet apart from each other. Perhaps you should do something about that before the authorities drag us away...uh oh, too late:

*doors bust open*

"There! In the front! Less than six feet apart! We must seize them and imprison them!"

*military arrives with machine guns and tanks*

*We step six feet away from each other*

"No, no, no, too late. The virus may have already spread! You're getting solitary confinement until this virus ends!"

As I get dragged away I scream: "SEVEN THOUSAND!!!!"

CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!