Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 3/26/2020 (TPiR Season 48 LMAD Mashup Week - Day IV)  (Read 8221 times)

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
Re: TPiR Recap - 3/26/2020 (TPiR Season 48 LMAD Mashup Week - Day IV)
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2020, 12:53:05 AM »
Don't they always run the race anyway when Rat Race is wiped out, or is this the first time?
I’ve seen them run the race after other playings when the contestant wiped out, so it seems like standard Rat Race protocol.
JBK

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2020, 01:21:45 AM »
LMAD played an interesting twist on Cliff Hangers yesterday. The object of the game was to get the mountain climber (Hans) as close to the edge without going over. If the contestant got Hans between steps 16 and 20, he won $3000 cash. If he got Hans between steps 21 and 25, he won a car. If Hans went over the edge or didn't reach step 16, he lost. The number of steps Hans took were decided by envelope picks...Wayne revealed that the bottom row of envelopes contained 5, 10, and 15 steps, and he offered the player $700 to quit...

I’ve seen this premise for Cliffhangers before; I believe it is also used in the Price is Right Slots app.  Not envelopes per se, but the number of steps that Hans goes are determined by random choosing of numbers and not by pricing items.

Am I the only one who was hoping that Wayne would have revealed the possible contents of the envelopes for EACH row?  Obviously, there were numbers higher than 5 in the first two rows, otherwise there would have been no possibility for Hans to fall off of the cliff, but something like a “frequency board” (similar to Punchboard, Po¢ket ¢hange, Pass the Buck, Spelling Bee) would give a contestant some idea of their relative chances of winning (not to mention showing that it’s a fair game to any skeptics :-D .  And ditto this paragraph re:  Big Wheel on Friday’s LMAD mashup)

It was also a bit hard to discern between the orange (16-20) and red (21-25) zones, at least for this home viewer.  Wish they would’ve maybe used two more contrasting colors.

Still looking for a good video clip of this gameplay.

Yeah, me too!  My DVR didn’t record LMAD today whatever reason, and it wasn’t on the CBS app when I checked ~8pm CDT.  The two offerings on YouTube gave the option of either listening to voices with pitches so distorted that you couldn’t tell who was talking, or a picture that jumped between normal size and zoom, cutting out important visuals.  Both for your greater viewing pleasure! :-D
JBK

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2020, 05:22:09 PM »
Am I the only one who was hoping that Wayne would have revealed the possible contents of the envelopes for EACH row?  Obviously, there were numbers higher than 5 in the first two rows, otherwise there would have been no possibility for Hans to fall off of the cliff, but something like a “frequency board” (similar to Punchboard, Po¢ket ¢hange, Pass the Buck, Spelling Bee) would give a contestant some idea of their relative chances of winning (not to mention showing that it’s a fair game to any skeptics :-D .  And ditto this paragraph re:  Big Wheel on Friday’s LMAD mashup)

One would have to think that each of the top two rows could have no number higher than 10 (so that if someone got both 10's they would still have the option to play the third row to get the 5 and win the car) and no number lower than 3 (again, if someone got both 3's they'd have 6, which with the 15 would still let them win the car)?  Beyond that, you probably can't be certain what they actually chose as options since it wasn't shown.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2020, 11:49:55 AM »
Still looking for a good video clip of this gameplay.

Here ya go, and the Big Wheel spinning from Friday to boot!

"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: March 29, 2020, 12:47:48 PM »
Quote from: Alfonzo
...and the Big Wheel spinning from Friday to boot!

Big Wheel.  LOL.

It's what it would look like if a race of giants invaded the show and spun the wheel!!
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2020, 01:08:55 PM »
Big Wheel. Riiiiiiiight. Looks like something Vietnam(?) would've used.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2020, 01:16:17 PM »
That's the same miniature Big Wheel Fremantle loans out for TPIR promotional events like this one:
I know they also used to have it outside the theatre when TPIR Live was in Vegas.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2020, 01:24:49 PM »
Big Wheel.  LOL.

It's what it would look like if a race of giants invaded the show and spun the wheel!!

D'oh! I forgot to put quotes on "Big"! 🤣

Even Wayne made fun of the size of the wheel!

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2020, 03:41:41 PM »
Can anybody who's been to a LMAD taping confirm if LMAD is as live-to-tape as Price is?

The edits were pretty jarring--Hans jumps all over the place in that clip! At 2:21 he's at the 5, and then moves back to the 0 a few seconds later in the very next shot. By the end when they show the game again he's off the 15 and back down to 0.  Bothered me more than I thought it would.

Price often does pickups during commercial breaks for very little things--why couldn't they have done pickup shots with Hans in the correct position, or at least made an edit that wasn't so obviously slice-and-diced? How much typically gets edited out of an LMAD taping?

D'oh! I forgot to put quotes on "Big"! 🤣

Even Wayne made fun of the size of the wheel!

Wayne had a good three or four inches on the wheel itself!

I did really like the game the "pick a multiplier" game they played with it. It was a fun twist and felt very LMADish.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2020, 05:36:34 PM »
Can anybody who's been to a LMAD taping confirm if LMAD is as live-to-tape as Price is?

I sat in the audience for a couple of tapings this past autumn. It's pretty much the same amount of live-to-tape as TPIR is, in that they go ahead and do the show with no regard to how much time the games take, then edit it down to fit the time slot after the fact.

The only pickup I remember them doing was during (game whose name I don't remember but it's their version of the cash register game) -- apparently they didn't get a good shot of Jonathan revealing a number, so they reset the board during the break and had him reveal it again.

Oh, and they pretape the pan of the doors for the Big Deal (when Wayne says the contestant can choose door 1, door 2, or door 3). They shoot the pan during the break immediately preceding the Big Deal, then roll the video in while Wayne is talking. I assume that's to allow the cameras to more easily hit their marks during that act.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #25 on: April 03, 2020, 03:55:03 AM »
I agree with the need for a price display in Gold Rush.  It's on the verge of being a good game, but as it stands right now, it's just extremely weird.

I would kill to have had Barker hosting Rat Race.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #26 on: April 04, 2020, 10:02:15 AM »
I agree with the need for a price display in Gold Rush.  It's on the verge of being a good game, but as it stands right now, it's just extremely weird.

A simple fix: Create a stand that would fit five boxes and have the model place the number in its corresponding position.