Author Topic: Rat Race consolation prize?  (Read 846 times)

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
Rat Race consolation prize?
« on: March 27, 2020, 09:30:28 AM »
There are a handful of SP/GP games on the show that can end early if the contestant fails the pricing portion—Punch-a-Bunch, Master Key, 5 Price Tags, and Rat Race come to mind. It's a huge disappointment when this happens, since the second half is really what makes these games interesting.

For the first three games, there's no way to guarantee that the second half will happen, short of giving the contestant a free punch/key/price tag, which is too generous. But I did have an idea for Rat Race: Since Drew likes to run the race for fun even when a contestant misses all three SPs, what if he offered them a $100 consolation prize to pick the winning rat? It would give an otherwise meaningless race a bit of intrigue, but it's an amount significantly smaller than the third-place prize.

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Rat Race consolation prize?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2020, 10:05:17 AM »
Trying to get into a producer's brain: Sometimes it's helpful to just end the game early and shave a few seconds off the game's runtime. Rat Race is already a pretty long game, and that time might be better spent on another game. There's merit in getting the game over with quickly once the drama is gone.

OTOH, obviously Drew is ultimately the one in charge of what happens on stage, and he likes to do the rats. It's his creation, after all. If Drew's going to run the race anyways, might as well build it into the game and justify it, instead of awkwardly having the race run after the main theme is already trying to play them out to commercial.

But the absolute best solution IMO is "set the game up so that winning zero rats almost never happens, and make sure those situations are so rare we don't need to set a hard and fast routine for them."
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Online 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2020, 10:20:27 AM »
I like the idea, it would be a nice way guarantee we have a meaningful race each playing. There's only one very minor issue I could see.

I vaguely remember at either the end of last season or the beginning of this season, where a contestant wiped out and either the race wasn't run or it was edited out. 30 extra seconds to run the race eally shouldn't be a big issue, but adding "essential gameplay" with all the editing nowadays might be odd.

EDIT: Basically everything gamesurf said, and the episode I was thinking of aired on 5/21/19
« Last Edit: March 27, 2020, 10:24:50 AM by 123123123 »

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2020, 10:26:46 AM »
Quote from: gamesurf
But the absolute best solution IMO is "set the game up so that winning zero rats almost never happens, and make sure those situations are so rare we don't need to set a hard and fast routine for them."

But isn't that ALREADY the case?  In 108 playings, there were only 8 wipeouts.  That seems pretty rare.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline tpirguyMN

• Outside in Line
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2020, 10:49:30 AM »
I agree with ton.  I know not everyone on stage is a LFAT, but even for the average viewer, getting the $100-range prize wrong should be almost automatic.

(PS.  Long time reader, first time poster!  Thanks to everyone who keeps this awesome site going!)

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2020, 10:49:58 AM »
Welcome to the forums, tpirguyMN!

But isn't that ALREADY the case?  In 108 playings, there were only 8 wipeouts.  That seems pretty rare.

Oh, absolutely. They're rare enough the show doesn't need to overly rehearse for those situations.

If they got to the point where they DID need a good plan in place, the "$100 race" is a decent fix. But if we ever got to the point where that issue became something that needs "fixing" more than once or twice a year, it'd be a sign that something is going wrong with the setups and effort might be better spent on "fixing" those instead.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline StacksOfCash

• Outside in Line
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2020, 05:47:35 PM »
Big unpopular opinion from me, but if you fail a pricing portion 3 consecutive times then you probably deserve to lose the game and win nothing.

The showing of the race anyway is nice and although it could have been skipped, it at least gives us closure on what would have happened. I kind of wish they did this for Master Key as we pretty much never know what each unselected key does. Same goes for Punch-A-Bunch and reveal where the $25000 slip was.

In WOF, Pat always reveals where the million dollar wedge was.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2020, 06:01:29 PM »
Big unpopular opinion from me, but if you fail a pricing portion 3 consecutive times then you probably deserve to lose the game and win nothing.

The showing of the race anyway is nice and although it could have been skipped, it at least gives us closure on what would have happened. I kind of wish they did this for Master Key as we pretty much never know what each unselected key does. Same goes for Punch-A-Bunch and reveal where the $25000 slip was.

In WOF, Pat always reveals where the million dollar wedge was.

To be fair, in Wheel's case, that's for liability purposes, so they can prove the Wedge was on the Wheel. Half surprised Price has managed to get away with not doing similar for stuff like the aforementioned Master Key and PAB for years actually given that.

Offline noahproblem

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2020, 07:26:14 PM »
To be fair, in Wheel's case, that's for liability purposes, so they can prove the Wedge was on the Wheel. Half surprised Price has managed to get away with not doing similar for stuff like the aforementioned Master Key and PAB for years actually given that.

IIRC they did reveal the ($250,000, I believe) slip's location the first time they played Punchy during Big Money Week.
"Once you start overachieving people expect things from you."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2020, 07:32:33 PM »
IIRC they did reveal the ($250,000, I believe) slip's location the first time they played Punchy during Big Money Week.

I suspect that was done for same reason as Wheel, has that come up since with it? Maybe S & P only requires it for really big prizes like that.

Offline lejusteprix

• 12/14/2015
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2020, 10:26:21 PM »
Same goes for Punch-A-Bunch and reveal where the $25000 slip was.

Interestingly enough every time they've played PAB at TPIR Live! they've always shown where the $5K was.

Offline RatRace10

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2020, 12:18:31 AM »
They show the top prize on PAB on some international versions of Price too, like the Philippines version, which had less holes than the US version, but also marked each punched hole with stickers to make sure they had the order correct.