Author Topic: Earliest airtime of first-run PRICE episodes?  (Read 3880 times)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
Earliest airtime of first-run PRICE episodes?
« on: April 02, 2020, 11:41:26 AM »
What is the earliest air time for Price in the USA? Or anywhere in the world? Is 11:00 AM ET/10:00 AM CT the first time first-Run shows appear on broadcast?

Are there markets that occasionally air Price earlier in the morning in the event of a special event (parade, local/regional sports, etc.)?
« Last Edit: April 02, 2020, 11:44:05 AM by jhc2010 »

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Earliest airtime of first-run PRICE episodes?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2020, 11:58:13 AM »
I believe the earliest is 10 a.m. Pacific, Mountain and Central Time here in Canada. I'd assume it would be the same in the U.S.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2020, 12:15:57 PM »
Here in Arizona The Price is Right airs at 9 A.M.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2020, 02:14:18 PM »
If we're talking earliest time as in overall time and not local time, then no, nobody gets it earlier than 11 AM Eastern. As for airing it early in special circumstances, that doesn't happen. It's not like a syndicated show like Wheel of Fortune where the stations get files of the episode that they can air on their own time; CBS has to "feed" Price to their stations at set times.

However, there was a brief time where some CBS stations aired the show at 10 Eastern/9 Central instead of 11, according to the FAQ.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2020, 12:28:18 AM »
If we're talking earliest time as in overall time and not local time, then no, nobody gets it earlier than 11 AM Eastern. As for airing it early in special circumstances, that doesn't happen. It's not like a syndicated show like Wheel of Fortune where the stations get files of the episode that they can air on their own time; CBS has to "feed" Price to their stations at set times.

However, there was a brief time where some CBS stations aired the show at 10 Eastern/9 Central instead of 11, according to the FAQ.

The Buffalo, New York and Hamilton, Ontario markets aired Price at 10AM during the 1993-94 season.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Blissey

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2020, 06:08:46 AM »
Here in Arizona The Price is Right airs at 9 A.M.

Where, specifically, in Arizona? In Yuma (where I live), TPIR airs at 10:00 AM.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2020, 12:18:08 PM »
Where, specifically, in Arizona? In Yuma (where I live), TPIR airs at 10:00 AM.
I'm in the Phoenix market. Here KPHO airs The Price is Right at 9:A.M.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2020, 03:31:15 PM »
The Buffalo, New York and Hamilton, Ontario markets aired Price at 10AM during the 1993-94 season.

Interesting. I was very young back then. Did Channel 4 air local news at 11AM?

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2020, 06:42:09 PM »
Interesting. I was very young back then. Did Channel 4 air local news at 11AM?

No, they aired The Les Brown Show, a talk show that flopped after four months, then Rolonda, starring Rolonda Watts, who now does voice-over work on Divorce Court. Daytime talk shows were the big thing at the time.

EDIT: I should point out that both shows were produced by King World, which produced the mega-popular Oprah Winfrey Show.

In case you care, CHCH aired an hour of Family Feud.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2020, 02:45:35 AM by Alfonzo »

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2020, 07:27:17 PM »
Regularly, Price aired at 10 AM Eastern from November 3, 1975 to March 24, 1977 and again from November 7, 1977 to December 16, 1977.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2020, 06:15:06 PM »
No, they aired The Les Brown Show, a talk show that flopped after four months, then Rolonda, starring Rolanda Watts, who now does voice-over work on Divorce Court. Daytime talk shows were the big thing at the time.
Don't remind me - in San Francisco, KPIX aired these in place of TPIR. There were a couple of other "six-month wonders" as well before TPIR finally got added to the lineup; I can't remember if it was September 1990 or 1991.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2020, 01:50:20 PM »

Isn't that how/why the 22nd season premiere that year didn't get repeated in part, despite being preempted on the East Coast for much of it?

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2020, 04:36:57 PM »
Isn't that how/why the 22nd season premiere that year didn't get repeated in part, despite being preempted on the East Coast for much of it?

From what I've been told, the episode was considered "aired" even though only a few markets saw it, and that's why it was not rerun. I was surprised when it came on because I thought the show was on a day delay.