Author Topic: Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?  (Read 19264 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Who Wants to Be a Millionaire?
« Reply #60 on: May 25, 2020, 02:26:06 PM »
Even if we're assuming the Hollywood Squares part is done competently--Match Game has already proven it can fill an hour timeslot by itself.

Why would ABC pay two production companies for two formats when they've already proven they can get a good hour of television from just one?

Would ABC be happy paying Alec Baldwin-sized amounts of money for a MG host only to have him sit on a panel for half of the show?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #61 on: May 25, 2020, 03:36:06 PM »
They absolutely wouldn’t. The idea of reviving MGHS makes no business sense whatsoever.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #62 on: May 25, 2020, 04:01:36 PM »
It was just a poor idea in the concept of common sense and business sense. The fact that it lasted 9 months was incredible. Not sure I'd call it Mark Goodson's worst idea (Mindreaders might be), but it is up there.

Of course, we talk about the idea of TTD, TJW and Bullseye all having the  same format and causing a problem, Goodson's panel shows suffered from that. You could merge The Name's the Same, Make the Connection, and I've Got a Secret into What's My Line and still only have to produce 1 show instead of 4. (Of course, 3rd Degree did what Make the Connection should've.)
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #63 on: May 26, 2020, 11:09:40 AM »
Certainly Barry and Enright weren’t the only copycats. I mean...Battlestars was Hollywood Squares turned sideways. Not a whole lot of effort there. :) 
Agree totally the G-T panel shows were largely the same idea over and over.

Offline harrisburgpatv

• Outside in Line
« Reply #64 on: May 26, 2020, 03:35:06 PM »
The fact that it lasted 9 months was incredible.

Was it because Santa Barbara wasn't ready quite yet, and they needed a placeholder? But yeah....9 months for that was amazing.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #65 on: May 26, 2020, 04:13:06 PM »
Was it because Santa Barbara wasn't ready quite yet, and they needed a placeholder?
That's exactly why it was on, and why it was created in the first place, from what I've read.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #66 on: May 27, 2020, 01:22:23 AM »
That's exactly why it was on, and why it was created in the first place, from what I've read.

It's stuff like that led to bombs like Give and Take (the game show). That show was there to fill time until the hour long Price was ready.

It is amazing how much the industry will spend on television shows that have near zero chance of ever succeeding.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #67 on: May 27, 2020, 03:42:40 AM »
Jon Bauman was a total flop in this show. Peter Marshall expressed some desire on working with Gene as the HS host, but Goodson decided to go with Bowzer instead. Plus, Gene didn't like Jon AT ALL.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: May 27, 2020, 04:17:01 AM »
but Goodson decided to go with Bowzer instead.
NBC decided to go with Bauman. If Goodson had gotten his way, Gene Rayburn would've hosted the entire hour by himself.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #69 on: May 27, 2020, 09:16:35 AM »
Jon Bauman was a total flop in this show. Peter Marshall expressed some desire on working with Gene as the HS host, but Goodson decided to go with Bowzer instead. Plus, Gene didn't like Jon AT ALL.

After watching the shows, Jon Bauman could have been at least passable, but when you are saddled with a format like that one- no one could have saved it.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2020, 10:59:03 AM »
After watching the shows, Jon Bauman could have been at least passable, but when you are saddled with a format like that one- no one could have saved it.

Look at his performance on The Pop & Rocker Game, he is so much better in a musical format (being a member of Sha-na-na, it fit him well.)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: May 27, 2020, 11:35:31 AM »
So much focus often seems to be on Bauman and the HS portion, but the MG portion was painful, even with Rayburn. It was just a poorly executed mishmash (except the theme). Facts of Life reruns might have been the better option.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

« Reply #72 on: May 27, 2020, 12:31:05 PM »
So much focus often seems to be on Bauman and the HS portion, but the MG portion was painful, even with Rayburn. It was just a poorly executed mishmash (except the theme). Facts of Life reruns might have been the better option.

There's talk Gene had to do it kicking and screaming, but did host it like a complete pro despite that.

The better answer would've just been the two shows on their own.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #73 on: May 27, 2020, 01:50:39 PM »
That also would have been better. Almost anything would have been.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #74 on: May 27, 2020, 09:54:54 PM »
Look at his performance on The Pop & Rocker Game, he is so much better in a musical format (being a member of Sha-na-na, it fit him well.)

I think he woulda done better too had he used his Bowzer character. Woulda added some edge, especially to the MG portion I think as a panelist.