Author Topic: Will The Price be Right?: The Possible Future of the Show.  (Read 31188 times)

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Will The Price be Right?: The Possible Future of the Show.
« Reply #105 on: July 10, 2020, 05:21:57 PM »
Well that's why they would have you sign waivers before you even entered the premises absolving them of all liability if you caught COVID19.

Luckily, as PayingTheRent said, I don't see tapings returning before a vaccine, unless we suddenly start doing extremely well in our battle against this virus, so it's a moot point.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #106 on: July 10, 2020, 07:09:16 PM »
Well that's why they would have you sign waivers before you even entered the premises absolving them of all liability if you caught COVID19.

Sure, but that only absolves them in a court of law. If the news hears about it, it isn't going to stop TMZ and Hollywood Reporter from writing articles with titles like "Are we killing people by putting game shows on the air?"

(It's an exaggerated scenario, but not an impossible one.)

Point is that it's more complicated than "well you didn't follow our guidelines, therefore the consequences aren't our fault." They have to be a bit more careful than that.

I agree that we're a long way out from tapings resuming. LA county still looks to be in big trouble.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #107 on: July 10, 2020, 07:30:41 PM »
The court of public opinion can be a brutal beast. In the risk/reward equation, you have to factor that in. As well in that equation is the question of reusability of the program. Are you going to repeat these shows and amortize your costs? Doubtful. That’s not to say you don’t do them, but to illustrate the decision is multifaceted.

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #108 on: July 10, 2020, 07:44:22 PM »
So it appears Freemantle is beginning to start casting for LMAD, so I can only assume they’ve figured out a way make it work in a Post-Covid world. This is probably a good sign for TPIR, since the show is similar.

https://fremantle.formstack.com/forms/fremantle_gameshow_2020

Unfortunately, this casting notice is not “current”. A good friend has connections with the show, and this is only to get information for when tapings resume. They do not have any plans to start taping now or in the near future.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #109 on: July 10, 2020, 08:41:25 PM »
Sure, but that only absolves them in a court of law. If the news hears about it, it isn't going to stop TMZ and Hollywood Reporter from writing articles with titles like "Are we killing people by putting game shows on the air?".[/url]

WWE hasn’t skipped a beat taping shows this entire time and has experiences issues with talent contracting Covid 19 and the public largely hasn’t batted an eye at them. Granted, TPIR might be a little higher in the public consciousness today than professional wrestling is, but there’s still precedent.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #110 on: July 10, 2020, 08:57:08 PM »
WWE hasn’t skipped a beat taping shows this entire time and has experiences issues with talent contracting Covid 19 and the public largely hasn’t batted an eye at them. Granted, TPIR might be a little higher in the public consciousness today than professional wrestling is, but there’s still precedent.

WWE doesn't have random people showing up every show either as its' participants. So it's not the most fair comparison to make.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #111 on: July 10, 2020, 09:01:19 PM »
One thing that everyone has to consider is that COVID is going to make some big changes in every single industry, and companies, schools, and infrastructure can't just take a "wait and see" approach and wait for a vaccine. Everyone is making adjustments. Price will too- even if it's for a few months.

To be honest...I'm kinda intrigued to see what they do!
« Last Edit: July 10, 2020, 09:06:04 PM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #112 on: July 10, 2020, 09:57:43 PM »
Price is the product. CBS is the customer. If the powers that be don’t want a modified version for the time being, all the ideas in the world won’t change the outcome. CBS needs to weigh all the pros and cons from a business standpoint. Just because something might be technically feasible doesn’t make it good business.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #113 on: July 11, 2020, 09:54:47 AM »
I honestly, honestly think they will do something, at least in the interim. They may even have an idea that hasn't even been thought of yet. I'm not saying this from an emotional perspective, but from what we've seen so far in the industry with shows going back to production without audiences, screening of early episodes, new shows added to the schedule to fill in gaps for the forthcoming lack of scripted programs, and other adjustments.
« Last Edit: July 11, 2020, 09:57:31 AM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #114 on: July 11, 2020, 10:45:07 AM »
I don’t know about filming new shows, but I think Advertisers will grow weary of continued Season 48 or similar reruns into the Fall. I think for that reason alone it’s unlikely that we’ll continue with the same reruns indefinitely. I would guess by Labor Day CBS will be forced to come up with some sort of outside the box idea, whether it be classic reruns or something else TPIR related, hopefully not putting something different in the time slot temporarily

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #115 on: July 11, 2020, 11:34:25 AM »
I think the best guess for what they'll show besides season 48 reruns is reruns from other recent seasons, particularly the special weeks and theme shows. I doubt they would stop airing the show at any point before new episodes begin airing.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #116 on: July 11, 2020, 12:56:47 PM »
If it results in a transmission, that’s very much the show’s problem.

“She hugged me against my will and I got COVID, the show didn’t do enough to prevent that, that is negligence and I’m suing TVC for eleventy bajillion dollars”

At a minimum it would get the show a bunch of negative press, at worst it would get audiences in LA closed down again. That’s true even if the fault is mostly on the contestant.

The problem is, no one can prove where the person got it from - it's highly unlikely that the taping of the Price is Right is the ONLY place someone goes in a two week period.  Thus, there's no way to know if that person in the studio gave it to you, or the person at the supermarket, or the drugstore, or the restaurant or wherever else.

Additionally, even if they did somehow figure that out, it's still NOT the show's fault, as they provided proper instructions.  No one can be expected to guarantee someone else will follow every rule.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #117 on: July 11, 2020, 01:52:57 PM »
The problem is, no one can prove where the person got it from - it's highly unlikely that the taping of the Price is Right is the ONLY place someone goes in a two week period.  Thus, there's no way to know if that person in the studio gave it to you, or the person at the supermarket, or the drugstore, or the restaurant or wherever else.

Additionally, even if they did somehow figure that out, it's still NOT the show's fault, as they provided proper instructions.  No one can be expected to guarantee someone else will follow every rule.
All the more reason then to not put the show back in production.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #118 on: July 11, 2020, 03:16:03 PM »
Completely out-there alternative: quarantine 300+ people in a hotel for 14 days with a guaranteed chance to ‘come on down,’ and you’ve got yourself at a good 30-35 shows right there.

Totally kidding, btw.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #119 on: July 11, 2020, 03:56:48 PM »
Completely out-there alternative: quarantine 300+ people in a hotel for 14 days with a guaranteed chance to ‘come on down,’ and you’ve got yourself at a good 30-35 shows right there.

Totally kidding, btw.

“You and a guest will fly round trip coach to Los Angeles, California, where you’ll enjoy a 15 day, 14 night stay at the Beverly Inn...”
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."