Author Topic: Will The Price be Right?: The Possible Future of the Show.  (Read 12527 times)

Offline bobbingforapples

• Outside in Line
Re: Will The Price be Right?: The Possible Future of the Show.
« Reply #30 on: May 07, 2020, 07:11:27 PM »
Would there be a liability issue if the situation is still serious enough to require a mask?

Offline BillyGr

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #31 on: May 07, 2020, 09:33:19 PM »
Would there be a liability issue if the situation is still serious enough to require a mask?

Probably not - as has been pointed out other countries have had people wearing masks before this started on a regular basis.
Also, one would think that if you are going someplace and wearing one, you should understand what your risks are and that by going you are willing to take those risks.

Online JhayPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2020, 12:31:18 AM »
The thing is, can they continue the production in a modified way even if the pandemic is still here, assuming that they finished airing all their prerecorded episodes?
The price will always be right.

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2020, 02:06:56 AM »
The thing is, can they continue the production in a modified way even if the pandemic is still here, assuming that they finished airing all their prerecorded episodes?
Probably not - as has been pointed out other countries have had people wearing masks before this started on a regular basis. Also, one would think that if you are going someplace and wearing one, you should understand what your risks are and that by going you are willing to take those risks.

Even if the show has everybody sign their lives away before entering the studio (which I'm definitely not convinced they can do), if somebody catches it at a taping and gets seriously ill, and blames the show, the optics are still pretty terrible.

Earlier this week, California's governor announced four "stages" of reopening for the state. Concerts, conventions, sporting events with an audience, etc. are stage 4--all still months away. When the time comes for Price to resume taping, it will not be the only large event looking to figure things out and balance safety with a fun atmosphere. My guess is Price will wait and see what other large crowds are willing to do, and cautiously follow their lead.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Spmahn

• In the Audience
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2020, 01:34:30 PM »
Iím not sure Iíd want to see TPIR with an audience that all has masks on, that would be kind of depressing to watch.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • No one $1-ups my bids!
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2020, 01:42:57 PM »
It would definitely take some getting used to.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: May 08, 2020, 02:41:15 PM »
Iím not sure Iíd want to see TPIR with an audience that all has masks on, that would be kind of depressing to watch.
Yes. I do hope it doesnít come to that. In fact, I would not like seeing a single mask on camera, be it on someoneís face, around someoneís neck, etc.

I mentioned I have mixed feelings. It would be great watching new episodes, rooting for contestants, & seeing favorite games and all, but I likely wouldnít want a constant reminder of the current health situation while trying to find an escape of sorts. I probably would watch episodes from decades past or more recently aired ones instead.

Time will tell.

Offline EvilChameleon

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #37 on: May 08, 2020, 04:17:56 PM »
I mean, every episode currently airing has a reminder of the current health situation when they put the disclaimer of it being taped before the outbreak at the end of the credits.

Ultimately, I don't think we'll see a situation where contestants have masks, because it's going to take a while for California to hit phase 4, which is where larger groups of people can get together safely. And by then, perhaps we won't even need masks.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 01/26/15
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #38 on: May 08, 2020, 05:18:26 PM »
Please tell me people care more about the public health situation than about how contestants look on this show.
CSS Champion - Season IX (Part II); G-R Recapper - Season 44 (Part I)

And if you win that trip, you travel to the end of the Golden Road, where we have the most expensive prize ever offered on Golden Road.net!!!! IT IS MORE THAN $481,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (Wild cheering and applause) LOOK WHAT WE HAVE AT THE END OF THE GOLDEN ROAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOUR OWN PRIVATE ISLAND OFF THE COAST OF TAHITI!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! You and your whole family will fly round trip coach from Los Angeles to Tahiti where you'll sign a deed to a 2-mile across, 2-mile wide island 25 miles off the coast of Tahiti. This island includes a beachouse and more! And if you win this island, you'll recieve A NEW CADILLAC XLR CONVERTIBLE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.
Quote from: bobbingforapples
Why was he unbanned? He hasn't changed.

Offline Spmahn

• In the Audience
« Reply #39 on: May 08, 2020, 05:57:06 PM »
How about we care about both? We donít want people getting sick and we would also prefer they not be forced to wear masks on the show. If that means the show goes on hiatus or they have to do some serious retooling than so be it.

Offline ssetta

« Reply #40 on: May 16, 2020, 03:25:34 PM »
I'm sure this has been on a lot of people's minds. I really do hope Price can start taping again before the fall, in time for the start of Season 49. Do you think there's any chance of it?Because I know that unlike some other TV shows, TPiR cannot go on without an audience.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 07:11:56 PM by PayingTheRent »

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: May 16, 2020, 03:30:39 PM »
This is something being discussed in this thread...

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,31147.0.html

The long and short of it is that The Price is Right, as it exists now, is a game show dependent on having an audience, something that is very unsafe currently. With the possibility of a vaccine far out on the horizon, it simply wouldn't be safe to bring the show back. Currently, LA county (where the show films) is still in a stay-at-home order and even when lifted, groups will probably still be limited to make filming Price, as is, an impossibility.

Unfortunately, odds are that Price will not be back for the start of the season in the fall and might not return until early to mid 2021.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline BillyGr

« Reply #42 on: May 16, 2020, 03:48:27 PM »
This is something being discussed in this thread...

http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,31147.0.html

The long and short of it is that The Price is Right, as it exists now, is a game show dependent on having an audience, something that is very unsafe currently. With the possibility of a vaccine far out on the horizon, it simply wouldn't be safe to bring the show back. Currently, LA county (where the show films) is still in a stay-at-home order and even when lifted, groups will probably still be limited to make filming Price, as is, an impossibility.

Unfortunately, odds are that Price will not be back for the start of the season in the fall and might not return until early to mid 2021.

Although as was (I believe) also pointed out, it could be done with a more limited audience, if that was allowed (which very well might occur sooner, the same way it worked at the beginning where group sizes were limited in steps). 

You'd probably need something like 25 as a minimum which would mean just those chosen as contestants in the audience plus host, announcer, models and some backstage/camera people. 

Obviously a group size like 100 or more would be better (since they've already done shows with only around 100 possible contestants in the audience, like any of the family/kids shows where at least 2 - 4 were there together).

You'd also likely get more contestants from closer areas at the beginning as well.

Offline PayingTheRent

« Reply #43 on: May 16, 2020, 07:16:42 PM »
Mod Note: The latest three posts to this thread have been merged in from a separate post created earlier since itís essentially the same topic.

Carry on. :)
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

Online Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2020, 08:24:40 PM »
Mod Note: The latest three posts to this thread have been merged in from a separate post created earlier since itís essentially the same topic.

Carry on. :)
Thanks for this - I thought I was losing it for a second :). I *knew* Iíd read it, but not here :)