Author Topic: Will The Price be Right?: The Possible Future of the Show.  (Read 30922 times)

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Will The Price be Right?: The Possible Future of the Show.
« Reply #90 on: May 26, 2020, 03:35:06 PM »
I thought I remember hearing that transporting the games they needed to Vegas for the 30th Anniversary special was a nightmare, besides the other logistics that trip involved. Roger never tried it again and I suspect that of all the gimmicks that Mike tried, there's a reason travelling with the show was one we never saw. I can imagine moving the current doors would be hellish with all the electronics now involved and rebuilding them would be quite a cost. I'd also hunch that they'd want the show to look as familiar as possible, so they might not be a fan of some knockoff props/doors.

Unless the show would seriously consider staying in Florida for over a year/season, moving there for any period less than that would be a waste of money, in my opinion.

The show's location is such apart of it (it's mentioned at the top of every show) that I can imagine that, besides a potentially costly move, they'd be hesitant to relocate.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #91 on: May 26, 2020, 04:28:29 PM »
The show's location is such apart of it (it's mentioned at the top of every show) that I can imagine that, besides a potentially costly move, they'd be hesitant to relocate.

I’ve seen this mentioned a few times.  I’m willing to bet that if the show looked the same and felt the same from Orlando, or Branson, or Albuquerque, or Des Moines, or anywhere else, no one except for the folks here would really notice much.  I doubt most casual watchers care that the show is “from Television City in Hollywood”

(Not to discount the other many valid reasons why it is unlikely the show is going to pick up and move somewhere, but on the list of reasons not to, I would think this one would be pretty far down below some of the others).

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #92 on: May 26, 2020, 06:49:16 PM »
I’ve seen this mentioned a few times.  I’m willing to bet that if the show looked the same and felt the same from Orlando, or Branson, or Albuquerque, or Des Moines, or anywhere else, no one except for the folks here would really notice much.  I doubt most casual watchers care that the show is “from Television City in Hollywood”

(Not to discount the other many valid reasons why it is unlikely the show is going to pick up and move somewhere, but on the list of reasons not to, I would think this one would be pretty far down below some of the others).
I mean, I mentioned in my post that the show has traveled. So, they can do it and bill the location as whatever. You're right, no one would really notice the change in location, mentioned or otherwise. But we've seen and heard of the small changes that have been done or were proposed over the last 20 years, that probably would go mostly unnoticed by the general public.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #93 on: May 26, 2020, 07:53:31 PM »
Where even in Florida is a space big enough to film TPIR?

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #94 on: July 09, 2020, 08:46:57 PM »
So it appears Freemantle is beginning to start casting for LMAD, so I can only assume they’ve figured out a way make it work in a Post-Covid world. This is probably a good sign for TPIR, since the show is similar.

https://fremantle.formstack.com/forms/fremantle_gameshow_2020

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #95 on: July 10, 2020, 09:51:30 AM »
The main difference being the contestant selection process, right?  On LMAD, you could just sparsely populate the audience with the casted participants, not have the rest of the audience, and probably achieve the necessary social distancing.  Working out the deals so that Wayne doesn’t have to be near the contestant wouldn’t be too complicated for most of them. 

I still see TPIR being different.  You can’t have contestants’ row right now without modifying it so that the players stand far apart.  You also can’t have the audience either, and you’d have to modify a fair number of the games so that Drew and the contestant are not in close proximity.  There are a number of other logistics I think you’d have to solve for.  (Do contestants wear gloves to spin the wheel?  etc).

I’m not saying they couldn’t come up with the correct formula, but I don’t think it is as easy as LMAD.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #96 on: July 10, 2020, 10:23:57 AM »
They won't change locations. The cost and logistics alone just don't make much sense, and this is someone's "pipe dream" to force drew to step down. Ugh.

I do see them trying something else- Cash Explosion in Ohio has resorted to using skype/zoom for their contestants and it actually works quite well. Theoretically, price COULD do the same thing. Maybe a smaller stable of games so there's less chance of looking up prices. Or, or, they could use socially distanced facilities at CBS stations (even if they just used the O&O stations), with drew/George and one of the models spinning the wheel as proxy.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #97 on: July 10, 2020, 11:19:30 AM »
The main difference being the contestant selection process, right?  On LMAD, you could just sparsely populate the audience with the casted participants, not have the rest of the audience, and probably achieve the necessary social distancing.  Working out the deals so that Wayne doesn’t have to be near the contestant wouldn’t be too complicated for most of them. 

I still see TPIR being different.  You can’t have contestants’ row right now without modifying it so that the players stand far apart.  You also can’t have the audience either, and you’d have to modify a fair number of the games so that Drew and the contestant are not in close proximity.  There are a number of other logistics I think you’d have to solve for.  (Do contestants wear gloves to spin the wheel?  etc).

I’m not saying they couldn’t come up with the correct formula, but I don’t think it is as easy as LMAD.
Definitely agree with this. LMaD could go on just fine with a smaller audience, and contestants could incorporate face masks and gloves into their costumes. And as you said for several games it's pretty easily to practice social distancing and limit interaction between the contestant and Wayne. Doing the show with contestants playing from home could work also for most of the deals.

For Price, the audience is a bigger part of the show even if they're not playing and it's more difficult to practice social distancing. There'd be some games where there's no interaction required or could be modified so Drew or a model is performing the action, but for others it wouldn't work. Contestants playing from home could be feasible, but there would be the issue of being able to look up prices. That said, perhaps they could try to tape with a small audience and modifications in place using only local contestants. I've suggested before that it would be great if they could do a week of shows saluting front line workers and first responders.

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #98 on: July 10, 2020, 12:09:30 PM »
I honestly don't think people looking up prices would be an issue, since the price you see on, say, Amazon, is not the price TPIR is using.

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #99 on: July 10, 2020, 12:30:41 PM »
Is it possible that a one seat-apart rule will help (plus without the usual hi-fives and hugging when a contestant comes on down)?

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #100 on: July 10, 2020, 01:27:10 PM »
I think you’d have to be a minimum of 1 seat apart and skip every other row in the audience to space people out far enough.  The other thing you have to factor in is human nature.  We can tell people “don’t high five or hug people” but in the excitement of the moment, people can’t be trusted to not do those things.  And there are still the logistics of contestants’ row and a number of games that either can’t be played or must be modified.  There are still lots of games that can be played via social distance rules but some just can’t I don’t think without being reworked.  (3 Strikes and 10 Chances come to mind - they could be done but would need to be done differently.)

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #101 on: July 10, 2020, 02:26:40 PM »
And there are still the logistics of contestants’ row and a number of games that either can’t be played or must be modified.  There are still lots of games that can be played via social distance rules but some just can’t I don’t think without being reworked.  (3 Strikes and 10 Chances come to mind - they could be done but would need to be done differently.)

Those seem easy enough.  For Three Strikes, contestant stands 6 feet away while the numbers are shown and put in bag.  Once the balls are in and mixed up, Drew steps away and contestant draws one.  You could have the contestant walk over and drop it in the slot if they are correct (or get the x).  If they need remixing, the contestant steps back while Drew does that.

For 10 Chances the same idea.  Drew steps up and reveals numbers.  He steps back, contestant goes and writes choice.  They step back while Drew comes up and pushes button (or, if easier have them push it on command, like Flip Flop).  And repeat.

For bidding, simply remove one row of seats (if needed) and put up walls between spots (like Jeopardy does for final, but a bit larger and clear, since you're not trying to hide anything). 

That way, contestants are separated without being a set distance apart.  The couple seconds waking from the spot to the stage is no more an issue than two people passing in a store aisle (which happens all the time, one way or not) - the seat removal is only if needed to allow space to walk behind others with these dividing walls in place.

And at the end of the day, if you tell people not to do something (like the high fives or hugs) and they still do, that's their problem and not the show's (just like any of the other rules created during this that people sometimes don't follow).

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #102 on: July 10, 2020, 03:13:22 PM »
I made several ‘predictions’ weeks and months back in this thread, but let’s be real here.  As optimistic as we are and want to be, I don’t think there is any chance The Price is Right returns to air with new episodes before a vaccine or treatment is in place.  There is no way to properly bring it back in L.A. without completely altering the format into something that doesn’t resemble the show we know and love.  Sure, they could take it in the road to a state that would allow an audience, but even that’s not really feasible for a multitude of reasons.  As long as repeats do well enough to turn a profit for CBS, we’ll be seeing repeats until the pandemic ends — hopefully by early next year if we can get a vaccine widely available by then.  In the meantime, I think the best we can hope for is the network to step into the vault and air episodes going well back into the Barker era.  The reasons for and against this happening have been discussed in length here and in other threads, but as fans, that’s probably the only surprise we would get.  Otherwise, we’re probably looking at Season 45+ repeats until new episodes can resume.  It’s just the reality of the situation we find ourselves in.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #103 on: July 10, 2020, 04:13:23 PM »
I honestly don't think people looking up prices would be an issue, since the price you see on, say, Amazon, is not the price TPIR is using.
True, and prices can vary based on location. They could also use more time limits if need be so contestants wouldn't have time to look anything up.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #104 on: July 10, 2020, 04:44:24 PM »
And at the end of the day, if you tell people not to do something (like the high fives or hugs) and they still do, that's their problem and not the show's (just like any of the other rules created during this that people sometimes don't follow).

If it results in a transmission, that’s very much the show’s problem.

“She hugged me against my will and I got COVID, the show didn’t do enough to prevent that, that is negligence and I’m suing TVC for eleventy bajillion dollars”

At a minimum it would get the show a bunch of negative press, at worst it would get audiences in LA closed down again. That’s true even if the fault is mostly on the contestant.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."