Author Topic: Will The Price be Right?: The Possible Future of the Show.  (Read 31163 times)

Offline SilverFirePrime

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Can this be ressurected next?
Re: Will The Price be Right?: The Possible Future of the Show.
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 02:47:31 PM »

So worst case, the show is on reruns for a year plus? CBS could use this time to air some of the best eps of all time, if they're smart.

Absolutely.  You have Drew give a brief intro on why the episode is being shown, and go from there.  You could even do clip shows of big wins, retired PGs, bloopers, Price around the world. 

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 04:37:11 PM »
I think TPIR tapings will return before we see fans at sporting events, or guests at amusement parks.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 05:15:54 PM »
As you note, we will get a functional vaccine in due time.  If we're really lucky, perhaps either an effective stopgap treatment (maybe the plasma therapy that has been mentioned from time to time) will come into common usage in the interregnum, or the best case scenario, the virus mutates into a less virulent form where it's no longer deadly.  It will take some time to get all this together, but by and large we are on the right path as of now. 

Or one of the ones using existing drugs, since those would be easy to do, with much of the "background" work already known about them.  After all, most people aren't overly concerned with any number of other things that you can get, knowing there is something out there that you can take to make it better.

All of us on this board come from different areas of the country (some of us are in different countries entirely!) and are subject to — in some cases — vastly different protocol for handling this virus. 
My point is, we’ll all be at different stages come this summer.  We’'ll probably be back to playing Little League games with a full crowd in my state.  New York might just be opening JCPenny back up (assuming they even survive this) at that point. 

Absolutely - while those on here not in or around NY probably primarily hear the huge numbers that NY has (more than many countries), what you may not hear is that throughout the process somewhere over 90% of those have been confined to NY City and a few surrounding counties.  So even in a single state, there is a major variance, no less from one state to another.

If the economy is slow to recover, CBS will have a much harder time selling ads at the rate they'’ve been accustomed to, which will translate into a limited prize budget.  Also, trips are their bread and butter for cutting corners with the budget.  If you can'’t offer trips until a vaccine is released, how do you fill that gaping hole without destroying the budget?  Those are the questions I’'m more interested in right now, not speculation over something that has a less than .01% chance of happening.

Maybe the question is, do you have to not offer trips?  While normally there is a time period (1 year I believe) to take them, nothing stops them from changing that to, say 1 year beyond when X happens (say the vaccine is available)?  That way, you still get it but can just delay taking it until it is safe to do so. 

Perhaps they already started this for those who taped currently being shown shows that wouldn't be able to take them now as well?

Good question on the ads - I know so far (locally) there are some not advertising (mostly those who can't do anything, like a bus company) but other things have popped up in their places (like a locally owned food production company) - but no way to know without knowing someone in that business if they are getting a better deal or just chose to do ads now to let people know that they are around and can help (by delivering their items directly).

Obviously, if they had to do something different for a time to tape (less people, maybe pre-interviewing via online methods to limit how many needed to be in studio) it wouldn't be the same, but there might be ways to work with it.

How about some form of those video conferences that can be limited by passwords - basically let 50 (or how ever many) people "sign in" from home to watch as it's taped, having them show up on the screens so you can hear them cheering like they were actually in the audience.  Different, but would give some of the feel of having an actual audience.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 07:29:02 PM »
I don't know what Drew's feelings are toward COVID-19, but if I were the host of a TV show where I came into contact with a minimum of six strangers per day, many of whom traveled a not-insignificant distance to voluntarily congregate in one enclosed space, I wouldn't want to go back to work until I was certain an effective vaccine was available and I had received it. Otherwise, it's virtually guaranteed that I'd catch the potentially life-threatening virus.

I don't care what precautions could be taken before the audience stepped onto the lot -- that's not a risk I'd be willing to take. Scientists still aren't sure whether the virus can be spread before symptoms appear. (This document from the World Health Organization, dated April 2, states that presymptomatic transmission has been documented in a small number of cases.) And even if every audience member had their temperature taken ahead of time -- who'd be performing that task? Would they be 100% accurate? Would those people even be willing to do it? Already, Los Angeles bus drivers have complained about risking their health to do their jobs, and some have contracted the virus. A television game show isn't worth that.

It's impossible to do The Price Is Right with contestants appearing remotely. It would be too easy for people to find a way to cheat. Even if the production did jump through ridiculous hoops to ensure that remote contestants didn't have access to outside assistance, what would be the benefit? The show wouldn't be any fun to watch if everybody's in isolation.

Does that mean the show is doomed? No. Season 48 is most likely over at this point (Los Angeles's "stay at home" order is currently in effect through May 15, and even if it did end on that date -- which is far from certain -- I doubt the city is going to jump from "stay at home" to "everybody can immediately gather in groups of 100 or more again"). And I would predict that season 49 is going to start late -- quite possibly late enough that it too is shorter than usual. Repeats from the last year or two will fill the time slot once the remaining new episodes have finished airing. Fremantle will take a budgetary hit because storing all of those set pieces at Television City isn't cheap. But The Price Is Right is too valuable of a brand for everybody to give up on it because of one year of extenuating circumstances.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Mark

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2020, 09:21:57 AM »
Scientists still aren't sure whether the virus can be spread before symptoms appear. (This document from the World Health Organization, dated April 2, states that presymptomatic transmission has been documented in a small number of cases.)

Maine's CDC has identified a travelling salesman as a source of transmission. He did not show any symptoms. https://www.mainepublic.org/post/maine-cdc-says-traveling-salesperson-has-been-linked-cluster-maine-covid-19-cases

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2020, 01:01:32 AM »
I don't think the show (or Let's Make A Deal) will get canceled, but I do think that the majority of next season will probably be reruns--possibly with a mix of video messages from Drew, George, and the models that were recorded from their phones telling people to stay safe.

I just can't see how you can do a show like TPIR in good faith before there's a vaccine... regardless of restrictions possibly being lifted. Getting dozens of people together (audience, cast, crew) before there's a vaccine isn't very wise or empathetic in my opinion. I'm sure it's not absolutely impossible to make episodes after restrictions are lifted while yet still before there's a vaccine, but SO much would have to be done just to make it work. Seating, spacing/separation, facemasks, gloves, etc. Too much work when you could simply air reruns.

I know there are many people that would love to have big events come back as soon as possible with dozens (or hundreds, or even thousands) of people in attendance, but science & stats prove that social distancing is the best way to handle this before there's a vaccine. Long term health is far more important than short term fun. Sadly though, some adults will never have empathy unless something bad happens to them personally. But anyway, I agree with others here that say to just air reruns until there's a vaccine. No need to even think about ending the show right now. Just take it one month at a time and see where things are at. I'm sure that things will transform into to the new normal ("new" since some social norms will definitely change after this) by 2022 at the latest. We'll see though.

Offline DarkBaron

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2020, 05:38:07 PM »
Given the current situation, there is reason to be afraid of the show's cancellation. But it will survive this, I have no doubt. Given the re-runs and the show's memories in everyone's head, the network will still see the show as viable, and it will resume production when this will be all over.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2020, 01:04:35 AM »
I’ll put this simply...

If The Price is Right is cancelled, then it will be at the bottom of an extensively long list of other shows that are also cancelled because the network is failing. 

CBS, Fremantle and any other powers that be will not be canceling the No. 1 show in daytime that has held this designation for two or three decades.  Season 49 might have some delays and technical hurdles — perhaps going as far as to suspend the season altogether, but that will be the fullest extent of this.  I truly do believe we will see some form of a 49th season during the 2020-2021 network broadcast year, however.

I have no issue with discussing the potential ramifications COVID-19 will have on the upcoming season, but please stop using the word “cancelled” in the context of meaning the entire show in general.

It isn’t happening.

Heck, CBS would be more likely to move the show to another state in order to resume production before even a suspended season is considered, much less all-out cancellation.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 01:06:51 AM by PayingTheRent »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2020, 10:10:38 AM »
Heck, CBS would be more likely to move the show to another state in order to resume production before even a suspended season is considered, much less all-out cancellation.

Given the cost of doing so, and the obvious problem that moving the show means the people coming for the show would all coverage on the NEW location and potentially carry the same virus there, moving the show elsewhere is an impossibility.

They're not going to cancel the show. But don't expect them to relocate it, either.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2020, 11:43:35 AM »
Even if you think there will be a theoretical one season hiatus, lots of shows, with ratings less than TPIR mind you, have had longer breaks and still come back.

For instance, I can't remember the last time Hell's Kitchen aired, but sure enough, FOX ordered two more seasons of it.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: April 19, 2020, 04:29:27 PM »
Yeah, the show is in a four year ratings high- and its been at the top of the ratings of daytime for decades (yes, I know that it, like everything else on TV is down). Despite what some people wan-I mean, feel, the show isn't going anywhere. Especially with people tuning in more to the show as "comfort food."

I could see them temporarily limiting the number of guests to 100-150, and/or doing some special shows where somehow they play games for at home contestants. Maybe use a smaller "virtual" set and use the models as proxy for the skyped in contestants?

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #26 on: April 19, 2020, 04:40:38 PM »
The solution is simple.

Bring back TNPiR '94 with celebrities, extend it to an hour-long format with two contestants fighting for the same showcase, and make it a weekly primetime special. That way, you could just fill the audience with staff at hand, you technically wouldn't need Drew and George, and the celebrities wouldn't infect everyday contestants.

I'm being sarcastic, but I think the show could adapt if need be. I think we'll get a shorter season and maybe harder setups to offset the hit to the budget, but things should somewhat go to normal for the gold anniversary of TPiR.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: May 07, 2020, 12:43:14 PM »
I just can't see how you can do a show like TPIR in good faith before there's a vaccine... regardless of restrictions possibly being lifted. Getting dozens of people together (audience, cast, crew) before there's a vaccine isn't very wise or empathetic in my opinion. I'm sure it's not absolutely impossible to make episodes after restrictions are lifted while yet still before there's a vaccine, but SO much would have to be done just to make it work. Seating, spacing/separation, facemasks, gloves, etc. Too much work when you could simply air reruns.

How would you all feel about seeing those in attendance wearing masks when the show returns? I have mixed feelings.

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #28 on: May 07, 2020, 01:47:07 PM »
I think it would be fun to see what creative things the fans come up with for their masks.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: May 07, 2020, 03:50:57 PM »
I think it would be fun to see what creative things the fans come up with for their masks.
I still have mixed feelings, but I didn’t even consider that aspect of it. Thanks. :-)