Author Topic: Will The Price be Right?: The Possible Future of the Show.  (Read 30921 times)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Will The Price be Right?: The Possible Future of the Show.
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2020, 11:59:28 PM »
other countries have had people wearing masks before this started on a regular basis.

True, but there was no pandemic.  It was more of a cultural thing, or at least more socially acceptable/understandable than it was here.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #46 on: May 17, 2020, 01:30:55 AM »
Although as was (I believe) also pointed out, it could be done with a more limited audience, if that was allowed (which very well might occur sooner, the same way it worked at the beginning where group sizes were limited in steps). 

You'd probably need something like 25 as a minimum which would mean just those chosen as contestants in the audience plus host, announcer, models and some backstage/camera people. 

Obviously a group size like 100 or more would be better (since they've already done shows with only around 100 possible contestants in the audience, like any of the family/kids shows where at least 2 - 4 were there together).

You'd also likely get more contestants from closer areas at the beginning as well.

I feel a little silly suggesting this, but the French version of Don't Forget the Lyrics recently resumed production with most of its audience consisting of balloon people (as in literally balloon animals, only shaped like humans).  It's kind of ridiculous, but it wouldn't be the worst way to fill out the audience if the show were able to start tapings again with a reduced contestant pool.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #47 on: May 17, 2020, 09:01:38 AM »
Pure wild speculation, but I thought I read Fox would superimpose crowds in NASCAR races. Could you do that somehow? Or printed out faces? Mannequins?

The point being, it may take some creativity, even when things are technically possible. It depends also on where CBS is at the time—are they content to air reruns longer rather than pony up for new shows? Do they want shows that look like...whatever they would look like? They have much bigger fish to fry as a result of the pandemic; they may not be throwing money at everything right away.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #48 on: May 17, 2020, 12:06:22 PM »
I suppose they could find a way to insert audience members that aren't actually there, whether it's mannequins, superimposing, whatever and add in simulated audience noise, but unless they can get to where it looks really good I'm not sure CBS and Fremantle would want to go that way when they can just show reruns.

I could see reruns for a longer than normal time until they are allowed to tape with something like 100, maybe 50-75 audience members. Perhaps if they're allowed to until regular tapings can resume they would do 1-2 specials with a more limited audience with only local contestants including a salute to front line, first responders, and other essential workers with the matching winnings going to charity like in the Price at Night specials before Christmas and with RuPaul last week.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #49 on: May 17, 2020, 12:15:13 PM »
Pure wild speculation, but I thought I read Fox would superimpose crowds in NASCAR races. Could you do that somehow?

My knee-jerk reaction is that tech would almost certainly be prohibitively expensive for a daytime show—a NASCAR broadcast has a massive, massive budget and dozens upon dozens of crew members. (While most sporting events only have a crew of a few dozen and one production truck, a colleague who has worked them tells me they have three giant production trucks—one truck has ONLY replay operators monitoring dozens of camera feeds, and one truck is ONLY for catering for the massive crew.)

Mannequins or balloon audience members would be a terrific and affordable (and tongue-in-cheek) way to make light of the situation without compromising on the feel of the show too much.

(But with Price doing as well as it is, I also think CBS has a good case for sticking with reruns for a year or so. It’s not like most people will notice, or they don’t have a decent backlog of memorable eps)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #50 on: May 17, 2020, 12:27:57 PM »
Perhaps if they're allowed to until regular tapings can resume they would do 1-2 specials with a more limited audience with only local contestants including a salute to front line, first responders, and other essential workers with the matching winnings going to charity like in the Price at Night specials before Christmas and with RuPaul last week.

Considering CBS ordered two more primetime specials that haven't taped yet, this is a fantastic idea to fulfill that order.

Unless orders like that expire. No idea how the TV business works.

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #51 on: May 17, 2020, 12:32:47 PM »
I may be in the minority here, but I'd rather see a year of reruns over an audience full of mannequins, balloon people, and canned applause.

If this social distancing goes beyond a year, then maybe I'll reconsider my opinion.

The only exception is if I'm allowed to go like this:
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: May 17, 2020, 02:05:01 PM »
The only possibility I see of an earlier start (i.e., "on time") for a Season 49 is if – and this is a huge if:

* An area of the country relaxes its social/physical distancing restrictions (i.e., allows gatherings larger than currently recommended) before the first scheduled taping date.

* The show subsequently decides to go "on tour" and tape at one of those venues.

* Potential audience members/contestants/cast/crew feel safe in such a gathering. (Remember, even in areas where restrictions are being slowly lifted, people are still a bit skittish about going out.)

That said, the odds of that happening are very slim. (As in, less than 0.0001 percent).

Meaning we'll be seeing reruns for the foreseeable future ... which like it or not will have to be OK in a time where not all is OK. There are much bigger problems in this world than thinking about whether Season 49 will be in 2020-2021 at all. (I can see an extended Season 49 airing during 2021-2022, or the regular 2021-2022 season and that counting as "Season 49.")

Brian
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 02:07:33 PM by Briguy »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #53 on: May 17, 2020, 04:02:26 PM »
Considering CBS ordered two more primetime specials that haven't taped yet, this is a fantastic idea to fulfill that order.

Unless orders like that expire. No idea how the TV business works.
Right, there were three ordered altogether and the Rupaul special was the only one taped and aired so far. Do we know who the other two celebrities were slated to be?

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #54 on: May 17, 2020, 04:11:13 PM »
If we’re doomed for repeats for the next several months or longer, I at least hope we get some higher effort reruns and not just a random dump of shows from the past 3-5 seasons. Maybe a countdown of the top 100 moments in the shows history, or a series of best of shows highlighting a different pricing game every day and showing the best and worst playings of the game throughout the history of the show. I know it’s a pipe dream to hope that CBS will air a lot of content that predates High Definition but if they mix new stuff together with old stuff it wouldn’t be so bad.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #55 on: May 17, 2020, 04:50:38 PM »
I know it’s a pipe dream to hope that CBS will air a lot of content that predates High Definition but if they mix new stuff together with old stuff it wouldn’t be so bad.
I'd say it's a pipe dream to hope that CBS will air anything pre-HD at all (or heck, anything predating the hiring of George Gray, for that matter).

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #56 on: May 17, 2020, 05:02:16 PM »
I'd say it's a pipe dream to hope that CBS will air anything pre-HD at all (or heck, anything predating the hiring of George Gray, for that matter).

While I seriously doubt they'd do anything like that, it certainly wouldn't be unprecedented. During the last writers strike, NBC began airing Tonight Show reruns from the early 90s, under the banner of "Vintage Tonight Show".

But, given the nature of Price is Right, they could show episodes from anytime in the last 3-5 years and most people wouldn't know a damn bit of difference... just don't pick any episodes that date the production (i.e. avoid Super Bowl specials, games with special prizes, etc.).
« Last Edit: May 17, 2020, 05:04:23 PM by mrbrown2195 »
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: May 17, 2020, 06:49:02 PM »
They’ve dug up some pre HD Y&R episodes to fit themes, but that’s a different animal. They could stop gap with encores of theme weeks for a bit, but sooner or later, it’s going to need to be mostly just “regular” episodes.

There is effectively zero chance of a roughly normal fall premiere. That’s just reality. Whether it’s winter, spring or later is going to take time to become more clear.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #58 on: May 17, 2020, 07:07:44 PM »
They’ve dug up some pre HD Y&R episodes to fit themes, but that’s a different animal. They could stop gap with encores of theme weeks for a bit, but sooner or later, it’s going to need to be mostly just “regular” episodes.

I would bet that a not insignificant percentage of the audience for Y&R is watching using rabbit ears and a TV they purchased 40 years ago so they couldn’t tell you Hi Def from Black and White

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #59 on: May 17, 2020, 07:26:24 PM »
“Haha, the audience who watches Young and Restless is old and rooted in tradition.”

The Price is Right:

(Not that you’re wrong about Y&R :D)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."