Author Topic: ABC Summer Fun and Games 2020  (Read 6408 times)

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: ABC Summer Fun and Games 2020
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2020, 10:08:09 AM »
One possible additional positive possibility with everything:  if there's still a lack of original programming being produced, there's at least a chance we might see the networks air more classic holiday specials come fall and winter if they have gaps to fill.  Granted, these would likely be restricted to "name brand" franchises and would be edited for time, but I think the chance is there for more besides the all time immortals to get another airing (for example, CBS could resurrect the Garfield specials, ABC could consider bringing back Mickey's Christmas Carol and/or at least one of the Muppet holiday specials, and the second tier of Rankin/Bass specials--The Year Without a Santa Claus, Twas the Night Before Christmas, Rudolph's Shiny New Year, Frosty's Winter Wonderland, maybe The Little Drummer Boy if they wouldn't consider its message too religious--could be in play). 

Offline TPIRFan1995

• Outside in Line
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2020, 10:12:19 AM »
I'm excited for new episodes of Celebrity Family Feud, Press Your Luck, and Match Game on the 24th of next month and Supermarket Sweep, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, and Card Sharks on October 18th after America's Funniest Home Videos!!!!!! It's like when Millionaire and Whose Line Is It Anyway? were on ABC!!!!! Ill probably check out the season premiere of Dancing With The Stars, although if the ratings drop, it'll be over after the season.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2020, 11:29:43 AM »
Speaking from an apolitical standpoint, I was going to post something along the lines of what urbanpreppie0004 said. Some training camps have cancelled their sessions this past week because of it. The other major sports postponed some of their games this past week.

The cancellations for sports leagues this week have mostly been for political reasons and not Covid related. Baseball hasnít been faring as well with the illness but has managed to continue trucking in. Hockey and Basketball so far have been mostly fine however.

Offline jude_este

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2020, 12:38:21 PM »
One possible additional positive possibility with everything:  if there's still a lack of original programming being produced, there's at least a chance we might see the networks air more classic holiday specials come fall and winter if they have gaps to fill.  Granted, these would likely be restricted to "name brand" franchises and would be edited for time, but I think the chance is there for more besides the all time immortals to get another airing (for example, CBS could resurrect the Garfield specials, ABC could consider bringing back Mickey's Christmas Carol and/or at least one of the Muppet holiday specials, and the second tier of Rankin/Bass specials--The Year Without a Santa Claus, Twas the Night Before Christmas, Rudolph's Shiny New Year, Frosty's Winter Wonderland, maybe The Little Drummer Boy if they wouldn't consider its message too religious--could be in play).

Though this is wishful thinking, I think the chance of other classic holiday specials besides the timeless ones at least on CBS and ABC is slim to none. As I see CBS airing holiday episodes of cartoons from Nickelodeon along with episodes of classic comedy shows that they have in their library and ABC airing movies and or even airing some of the Lifetime holiday movies into their schedule to fill gaps.

And to get back on topic with my own answer to JayC's question, I'm thinking that what would be airing on Sundays on ABC while Millionaire, Supermarket Sweep, and Card Sharks premiere will be movies or repeats of comedies and dramas.

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2020, 01:40:00 PM »

The Garfield specials? That's just not going to happen. CBS isn't that desperate. There already is some evergreen content every holiday season, and some of the B-list (or lower) stuff has moved on to things like Freeform's 25 days of Christmas. Yes, Disney could borrow some of that, but you're more likely to see much more recent programs or new shows produced in more Covid-applicable ways than to ever, ever see The Little Drummer Boy on a broadcast network.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2020, 11:44:49 PM »
If anything, new animated specials can come out quicker than ever.