Author Topic: ABC Summer Fun and Games 2020  (Read 19761 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: ABC Summer Fun and Games 2020
« Reply #30 on: July 04, 2020, 12:59:19 PM »
If the episode scheduled for July 12 features what I think it is, I'll be happy period.  This goes to teasers in general, not just this one, but I don't know if I prefer to be "warned" about possible history or if there are no hints and I just see it without warning.  For example, Wheel of Fortune about 7 years ago or so mentioned that there would be a $1 Million winner that week, and over a decade ago, it was hinted that someone would win $100,000 when that was the top prize.  Deal Or No Deal did something similar with their Million Dollar Mission

I guess I could go either way.  Not saying Buzzerblog spoiled anything; fortunately I have never passed on seeing an episode because the results or outcome was disclosed in advance (for me, I'm curious to see it play out).  However, a pleasant surprise is what made for a great day or evening growing up

Whenever I need to be told to watch something, "especially this specific episode", it usually craters my interest after that episode airs.

After all, they'll surely be kind enough to let me know the next time there's a big win, so there's little chance I'll miss anything if I tune out once the main game is done.

(I think the real benefit of the practice isn't for the viewers, but moreso for the entertainment journalists who write all the articles about it the next day. But it tends to screw over the audience who would have watched anyways.)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #31 on: July 04, 2020, 02:28:14 PM »
Fair enough, gamesurf.  I totally agree that it's for the media, the journalists, etc.  Like the audience, I'm definitely watching if the show in question is popular enough that I wouldn't miss an episode. 

The thing that I didn't mention before is that every so often I'll DVR an episode if there's a conflict or if I have stuff to do the next day where it can wait.  What's unfortunate is if a big episode is just that, it's possible that I get spoiled inadvertently while trying to read or listen to something unrelated.  Wouldn't stop me from watching is though!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: July 04, 2020, 02:45:43 PM »
I remembered Day 1 of Dream car week from season 45. What made that episode so good was that it wasn't spoiled in anyway ( commercials , twitter, facebook , instagram ) It made my enjoyment of that episode so much sweeter because of it.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2020, 10:29:47 PM »
Is anyone who watched still recovering from tonight's episode of Press Your Luck, or is it just me that is still recovering from the suspense and excitement of what happened tonight? But no spoilers here as the Whammy featuring the chorus that sang "You Suck" to the tune of Johann Strauss II & Johannes Brahms' "Blue Danube Waltz" has to be on in the top 3 of my favorite whammies from the revival.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2020, 10:34:42 PM by jude_este »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #34 on: July 12, 2020, 10:34:51 PM »
Regardless of the ending, for me, history was made.  While I'm still not a fan of Money and a spin in the bonus round (unless it's optional), tonight was the episode where it was necessary
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #35 on: July 12, 2020, 11:35:17 PM »
Somebody’s gonna win $1 million this season. I can feel it.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #36 on: July 13, 2020, 10:04:56 AM »
Emily was really close to being the first PYL millionaire, just off by under $5,000.

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2020, 11:30:00 AM »
What an episode last night!  The Whammy choir singing "You suck" was downright hilarious
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Online Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #38 on: July 13, 2020, 11:35:14 AM »
What an episode last night!  The Whammy choir singing "You suck" was downright hilarious

I also loved Elizabeth's raw emotion near the end of the show. It was a joy to watch!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #39 on: July 13, 2020, 11:46:27 AM »

BuzzerBlog posted that for all to enjoy:

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: July 13, 2020, 01:27:52 PM »
Last night's Fast Money had a couple of hilarious answers as well, especially regarding the NFL players about having nightmares with tackles. After all, injuries are way too common and may have contributed to those answers, as opposed to the more common ones like cars or trains. Being too old for a Teddy Bear when you're still in preschool/nursery also seemed very odd, though it oddly was worth three points. But those were still short of the response given by the second FM contestant about what Captain Hook would use instead of a hook to stomp and bang on others, with the player answering instead a certain male reproductive organ.

Still, great to see the record-breaking PYL episode, and it still left another early buzz-in zinger in the first question round about Old Town Road in addition to all of the spins. It will interesting to see what Card Sharks will be paired with when it returns this fall.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: July 13, 2020, 01:41:57 PM »
I just watched the July 12th episode of Press Your Luck. What a final round and cliffhanger at the end! Huge spins and the time spent to see if the contestant reach the million dollar threshold.

Socks for life! Socks for life! :-D

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #42 on: July 13, 2020, 04:15:44 PM »
The expression Ryan's mother had when he said he was giving the Mercedes-Benz to her was awesome on so many levels. No good deed goes unrewarded--he got the His-and-Hers Teslas as well.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: July 16, 2020, 01:19:35 AM »
Socks for life! Socks for life! :-D

I wonder if they're MaxDot compression socks!  Probably not (different network).   :-D
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #44 on: July 19, 2020, 10:54:18 PM »
PYL schedule for the next 3 weeks:

7/5: Repeat of the season 2 premiere, with Emily's big win
7/12: Buzzerblog teased the other day that this episode is one we need to watch
7/19: Welcoming back 3 past champions from the Tomarken era, was supposed to be the 7/12 episode

Guess they changed it - this (and Feud before, at least) were reruns (Feud had Drew's game on again).