Author Topic: ABC Summer Fun and Games 2020  (Read 19752 times)

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
Re: ABC Summer Fun and Games 2020
« Reply #45 on: July 20, 2020, 10:38:41 AM »
Assuming this was the last episode they had in the can, perhaps they want to stretch it out and have at least one new week of content in August, or whatever replacement show they have for that time slot for when PYL / Feud finish wasn’t ready yet

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #46 on: July 20, 2020, 10:46:38 AM »
They're airing more reruns to stretch the run out because, simply put, they're running out of "new" programs. It's looking very likely that the new fall season won't start in September this year. It's a smart move on ABC's part, TBH.

Its why I think you will see Card Sharks, Pyramid and More Millionaire sooner than later.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #47 on: July 20, 2020, 11:26:57 AM »
Assuming this was the last episode they had in the can, perhaps they want to stretch it out and have at least one new week of content in August, or whatever replacement show they have for that time slot for when PYL / Feud finish wasn’t ready yet

According to the production codes on the ABC press site, they taped at least 13 episodes for Press Your Luck and at least 11 for Celebrity Family Feud earlier this year.

They're airing more reruns to stretch the run out because, simply put, they're running out of "new" programs. It's looking very likely that the new fall season won't start in September this year. It's a smart move on ABC's part, TBH.

Its why I think you will see Card Sharks, Pyramid and More Millionaire sooner than later.

I am thinking the same thing too urbanpreppie0004. Millionaire has already put out a casting call for contestants who are essential workers and affected by the pandemic from a retweet by BuzzerBlog yesterday.

As for Card Sharks and Pyramid, as for as I know, Deadline reported on on July 9th that the former filmed episodes that day.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #48 on: July 20, 2020, 03:11:22 PM »
Guess they changed it - this (and Feud before, at least) were reruns (Feud had Drew's game on again).

We were supposed to get two episodes in one for Family Feud, including Kathie Lee Gifford vs. Ricki Lake and 2 Chainz vs. Big Boi, yesterday.  Instead we were treated to an episode that aired 6 weeks ago.  As mentioned they have to stretch it out, but it sorta sucks given that this must have been a last minute change.  Furthermore, editing could be done to the point where Kathie Lee vs Ricki is its own episode

At the end of the day, I totally can't fault ABC for stretching things out as much as possible, but there will be a ton of spots that need to be filled as it relates to autumn programming.   Unless some of the content not necessarily game show content has been taped already

"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #49 on: August 27, 2020, 01:05:11 PM »
Apologies for the bump as ABC released their fall schedule today with the remaining episodes of Celebrity Family Feud, Press Your Luck, and Match Game, airing on Thursdays as replacement series for the TGIT drama block starting on September 24th. The network also announced that the premiere of Supermarket Sweep and the second seasons of both Who Wants To Be A Millionaire? and Card Sharks will be on October 18th.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #50 on: August 27, 2020, 02:42:47 PM »
I wonder why they’re switching nights for PYL and Family Feud unless they have no faith in them and just want to burn off the remaining episodes. It really was silly of them to not just air everything they filmed in order, skipping weeks and splicing in reruns made the casual TV viewer assume they were all out of new episodes and that there was no need to continue watching.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2020, 03:15:52 PM »
I wonder why they’re switching nights for PYL and Family Feud unless they have no faith in them and just want to burn off the remaining episodes. It really was silly of them to not just air everything they filmed in order, skipping weeks and splicing in reruns made the casual TV viewer assume they were all out of new episodes and that there was no need to continue watching.

Nope. As was said before...they are using these shows as "new" fall series because pretty much none of their scripted series will be ready- most likely until early 2021. Every network is scrambling- importing series from canada, relying on game shows and reality (or extending seasons) and airing shows they own from streaming or cable. It's not some conspiracy that they "want to burn off episodes"- its the exact opposite.

« Last Edit: August 27, 2020, 03:18:11 PM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #52 on: August 27, 2020, 05:16:56 PM »
Right, the holdoff was to have the remaining new episodes air during the Fall season to replace scripted shows that haven't resumed taping/won't be ready to start at the standard time yet. Excited to finally see new PYL episodes again and the premiere of Supermarket Sweep and Millionaire. Wonder what ABC is airing on Sundays before Sweep, Millionaire, and Card Sharks begin since Feud, PYL, and Match Game are moving to Thursday.

Also, Deadline reported back on August 7 that $100,000 Pyramid would begin taping in the last week of August-- https://deadline.com/2020/08/the-100000-pyramid-back-to-studio-abc-1203006568/

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #53 on: August 27, 2020, 06:42:23 PM »
Nope. As was said before...they are using these shows as "new" fall series because pretty much none of their scripted series will be ready- most likely until early 2021. Every network is scrambling- importing series from canada, relying on game shows and reality (or extending seasons) and airing shows they own from streaming or cable. It's not some conspiracy that they "want to burn off episodes"- its the exact opposite.

And moving the shows to shore up Thursday in the interim is quite possibly a vote of confidence.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #54 on: August 27, 2020, 06:59:25 PM »
It'll be refreshing to see these games shows, and new episodes, on a weeknight.  It's been so long. 

While that is the case, I probably wouldn't have moved it to Thursday.  CFF, PYL and MG will be opposite Thursday Night Football.  It might not be a big deal from September 17 to October 1, but I hope TPTB take that into consideration if the ratings for their gameshows suffer.  Unless they're aware of the conflict & competition!

To best answer JayC's question, I guess reruns of their Thursday block (as an encore) would be enough.  Probably not since it'll be opposite Sunday Night Football
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #55 on: August 27, 2020, 07:07:00 PM »
I think they are looking at

A- if the NFL even runs at this point

B-They will be the only alternative programming with new episodes.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: August 27, 2020, 11:08:30 PM »
With scripted shows not having new episodes, they had no choice but to put the game shows with new episodes on opposite football.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #57 on: August 28, 2020, 04:52:59 AM »
Something has to air against football. Same as shows on Sunday night against Sunday Night Football. Things being what they are, that’s game shows for ABC.

And there’s currently no reason to expect there not to be a football season.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #58 on: August 28, 2020, 09:44:22 AM »

Honestly, 6 months ago I would have said the same thing. But with the way things have changed...who even knows anymore? Most colleges won't be running seasons as it is, and now that games for the other sports have been cancelled/postponed due to social justice issues...nothing is guaranteed.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #59 on: August 28, 2020, 09:47:39 AM »

Speaking from an apolitical standpoint, I was going to post something along the lines of what urbanpreppie0004 said. Some training camps have cancelled their sessions this past week because of it. The other major sports postponed some of their games this past week.