Author Topic: ABC Summer Fun and Games 2020  (Read 19756 times)

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: ABC Summer Fun and Games 2020
« Reply #60 on: August 28, 2020, 10:08:09 AM »
One possible additional positive possibility with everything:  if there's still a lack of original programming being produced, there's at least a chance we might see the networks air more classic holiday specials come fall and winter if they have gaps to fill.  Granted, these would likely be restricted to "name brand" franchises and would be edited for time, but I think the chance is there for more besides the all time immortals to get another airing (for example, CBS could resurrect the Garfield specials, ABC could consider bringing back Mickey's Christmas Carol and/or at least one of the Muppet holiday specials, and the second tier of Rankin/Bass specials--The Year Without a Santa Claus, Twas the Night Before Christmas, Rudolph's Shiny New Year, Frosty's Winter Wonderland, maybe The Little Drummer Boy if they wouldn't consider its message too religious--could be in play). 

Offline TPIRFan1995

• In the Audience
« Reply #61 on: August 28, 2020, 10:12:19 AM »
I'm excited for new episodes of Celebrity Family Feud, Press Your Luck, and Match Game on the 24th of next month and Supermarket Sweep, Who Wants To Be A Millionaire, and Card Sharks on October 18th after America's Funniest Home Videos!!!!!! It's like when Millionaire and Whose Line Is It Anyway? were on ABC!!!!! Ill probably check out the season premiere of Dancing With The Stars, although if the ratings drop, it'll be over after the season.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #62 on: August 28, 2020, 11:29:43 AM »
Speaking from an apolitical standpoint, I was going to post something along the lines of what urbanpreppie0004 said. Some training camps have cancelled their sessions this past week because of it. The other major sports postponed some of their games this past week.

The cancellations for sports leagues this week have mostly been for political reasons and not Covid related. Baseball hasn’t been faring as well with the illness but has managed to continue trucking in. Hockey and Basketball so far have been mostly fine however.

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #63 on: August 28, 2020, 12:38:21 PM »
One possible additional positive possibility with everything:  if there's still a lack of original programming being produced, there's at least a chance we might see the networks air more classic holiday specials come fall and winter if they have gaps to fill.  Granted, these would likely be restricted to "name brand" franchises and would be edited for time, but I think the chance is there for more besides the all time immortals to get another airing (for example, CBS could resurrect the Garfield specials, ABC could consider bringing back Mickey's Christmas Carol and/or at least one of the Muppet holiday specials, and the second tier of Rankin/Bass specials--The Year Without a Santa Claus, Twas the Night Before Christmas, Rudolph's Shiny New Year, Frosty's Winter Wonderland, maybe The Little Drummer Boy if they wouldn't consider its message too religious--could be in play).

Though this is wishful thinking, I think the chance of other classic holiday specials besides the timeless ones at least on CBS and ABC is slim to none. As I see CBS airing holiday episodes of cartoons from Nickelodeon along with episodes of classic comedy shows that they have in their library and ABC airing movies and or even airing some of the Lifetime holiday movies into their schedule to fill gaps.

And to get back on topic with my own answer to JayC's question, I'm thinking that what would be airing on Sundays on ABC while Millionaire, Supermarket Sweep, and Card Sharks premiere will be movies or repeats of comedies and dramas.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: August 28, 2020, 01:40:00 PM »

The Garfield specials? That's just not going to happen. CBS isn't that desperate. There already is some evergreen content every holiday season, and some of the B-list (or lower) stuff has moved on to things like Freeform's 25 days of Christmas. Yes, Disney could borrow some of that, but you're more likely to see much more recent programs or new shows produced in more Covid-applicable ways than to ever, ever see The Little Drummer Boy on a broadcast network.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #65 on: August 28, 2020, 11:44:49 PM »
If anything, new animated specials can come out quicker than ever.

Offline NewsDirector3287

• Outside in Line
« Reply #66 on: September 25, 2020, 01:49:57 AM »
So, what did you all think of the new episodes tonight? Celebrity Family Feud had some okay moments.  Match Game having a
58th episode celebration was awesome, and the episode itself was hilarious. Congratulations to them on making it this far!  However, the highlight continues to be Press Your Luck.  I think the idea to bring three former players back was a good one, and what an exciting game!  Don't wanna say too much else in case anyone hasn't seen them yet.  If I had to rank them, it'd be:

Press Your Luck
Match Game
Celeb Feud

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #67 on: September 25, 2020, 01:29:01 PM »
PYL Spoilers below

Is that add a 1 space new? I don’t think I’ve ever seen it before, it’s kind in of a game breaker in the first half of the game since at that point your only hooe of winning is if the person who landed on it gets the Whammy

Great show, loved seeing everyone return.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #68 on: September 25, 2020, 02:02:33 PM »
Response to PYL Spoilers: (Spoiler covered)
To the show this season, yes. It and Double Your $$ + 1 Spin were carryovers from the original series.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #69 on: September 26, 2020, 01:31:10 PM »
Actually,

It's been hit at least a couple times previously.  What happened is in those cases, the contestant only had a 4 digit total (say $5,695), so the added 1 made it $15,695, which doesn't make it the same impact as this time did going from 5 digit total to 6 digit total.  So, it really depends on when someone hits it.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #70 on: September 26, 2020, 01:52:00 PM »
It's been over a day since the show aired and this thread is full of spoilers anyway, so I'm not going to use white text here. Add a One was part of the original PYL; however, the amounts on the board were so small that it was extremely unlikely anyone would ever get to $10,000 without hitting Add a One. (Even Michael Larson was only able to get $2,500 in the first round.) And once Add a One was hit, it was taken off the board and replaced by a prize, so there was no concern about someone having $1,000-$9,999 and then hitting Add a One twice in a row. So it was very very unlikely anyone in the 1980s version would hit Add a One and have it add $100,000 to their total.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: September 26, 2020, 03:10:13 PM »
It's been over a day since the show aired and this thread is full of spoilers anyway, so I'm not going to use white text here. Add a One was part of the original PYL; however, the amounts on the board were so small that it was extremely unlikely anyone would ever get to $10,000 without hitting Add a One. (Even Michael Larson was only able to get $2,500 in the first round.) And once Add a One was hit, it was taken off the board and replaced by a prize, so there was no concern about someone having $1,000-$9,999 and then hitting Add a One twice in a row. So it was very very unlikely anyone in the 1980s version would hit Add a One and have it add $100,000 to their total.
And furthermore, in the CBS run, Add a One was only used in Round 1, specifically to avoid it being hit for too much.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #72 on: September 26, 2020, 03:27:08 PM »
I don’t ever recall anyone hitting Add-A-One in the original version either when $10,000 was won prior to that.  Granted it was only around for a year.   The thing is that the CBS limits were $25,000 and $50,000 during PYL’s 80s run, so in the event that someone would have hit five digits in the first half, they probably would have taken A-A-ONE of the board.

I think five figures have definitely been won in first half, but as mentioned, it’s difficult.  Not many money and a spin spaces in Round one.  If someone were to do it in the 80s, they would have to accumulate a lot of spins (not easy) and hit the big bucks about 6-7 times.  Both are possible, but what’s more likely is doing both while hitting a whammy in-between that run.

I used to love the A-A-ONE back in the day, even during the USA airings.  Personally, I could take it or leave it.  I was pleasantly surprised that it was hit to get to a total exceeding $100,000 (though I feared that a whammy would wreck that historic moment).  From there I think it was a mistake to remove it from the board.  I think it should’ve been made available for the other contestants.  It’s cash, not a car or some other prize.  That way it opens the door for someone else (or everyone) to hit it for six-figures.  That, and I won’t have to root against a contestant that has no shot at winning short of a whammy costing the leading contestant money that he or she won’t reach, win or lose.

Again, nice win within a great episode.  I don't think we'll see that again
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #73 on: September 27, 2020, 10:36:48 AM »
AA1's main purpose is to provide added excitement for Round 1, which season 3 of the '80s version also added a featured trip that Rod Roddy would announce that was worth more than the other prizes on the board (around $1500-$2000 or so). Just like the CBS version, it disappears upon being hit, and this of course potentially could lead to a variation of strategy in Round 2, where an opponent would pass a bit earlier than normal. Double Your $$ + One Spin is similar in that if you have nothing, you won't get anything besides a spin if you land on it, and then disappears like a prize. Unlike the CBS version however, Double Your $$ appears in every game, and that originally applied to Add-A-One in the '80s before becoming an everyday space as well. The Big Bucks Bonanza though set a record in the other direction: the lowest non-zero total so far awarded for that portion of the show (and just a single prize and no cash at that).
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #74 on: September 27, 2020, 05:20:36 PM »
I'm aware about the AA1.  I definitely enjoyed it in the past, and it's nice to see it in this modern version.   I know about how that and D$+S (Double Bucks & a spin) were swapped out.  My lack of excitement with it is mainly due to how I haven't been as excited as I once was over big wins in gameshows, including PYL.  They're still exciting, don't get me wrong, but I guess when there are more chances to win more cash & prizes, that has an effect.  Just speaking for myself.

I'm not saying for the show to axe AA1, but I just not a fan of it being available whenever a contestant has at least $10,000

To rank my order, I have to go with PYL, Match Game, and Family Feud in terms of most exciting to great but not as exciting.  However, I think I'd put the first half of CFF over Match Game, but not the second half
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck