Author Topic: "Everything Old is New Again" - gamesurf's Price is Right  (Read 20923 times)

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: "Everything Old is New Again" - gamesurf's Price is Right
« Reply #90 on: May 05, 2020, 06:48:06 PM »

He's made the 5 into a 6, the 8 into a 4, and the 7 into a 9, for a final price of $26,490.

Adam, if that price tag reveals a price of $26,490, you've won the truck and all of the trimmings that go with it! For all the marbles...

What...

is...

the...

price?

*MRRP!*

*cue losing horns*

No! No. Adam, I'm sorry. It was a $27,000 automobile. You had the other numbers right. I'm sorry we couldn't give it to you.

But you're not through yet. You'll have a chance to do some more winning in the Showcase Showdown, which is coming up right after these dotted lines!

--------------------

*camera pans over pathfinder20, wpghi5, and 123123123*

Contestants not appearing on stage will receive...

A gift certificate from Morgan Mint! Quality collectibles featuring classic American coins and official Elvis Presley memorabilia honoring the king of rock 'n roll. From the Morgan Mint!

And, a supply of Pine-sol! Now with three terrific new scents, Pine-sol's cleaning power is three times that of the leading competitor! Choose the power of Pine-sol, the smell of clean!

And now, here's gamesurf with our Showcase Showdown!

Thank you very much! I'm here with Plinkoman, I'm here with tpiradam, and I'm here with LiteBulb88! And during the break, we dove through the records, and I think that this moment right now is making Showcase Showdown history!

*cheers and applause*

I do believe, that for the first time in the history of the HYO forum, this is the first ever Showcase Showdown on golden-road.net that features three contestants with spinning stars next to their names!

*cheers and applause*

I swear the IUFBs weren't rigged or anything, it just happened that way. Anyways, since you're all alumni of the real show, you all should know how the Showcase Showdown works by now. Closest to $1.00 in one spin or a combination of two spins goes to the showcase. Plinkoman, you are up first!

(As before, give a number 1-20 to spin the wheel, along with the lowest number you would be willing to stop at, assuming you are in the lead.)

Spinning order:

Plinkoman
tpiradam
LiteBulb88
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 06:53:20 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Online Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #91 on: May 05, 2020, 07:00:04 PM »
18, 13

Stop on .65 or above.
1,698 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #92 on: May 05, 2020, 07:00:24 PM »
Yay for being part of g-r.net history!! My numbers will be 8, 10, 11, and 5. Use them in order for whatever spins I may have. As for stay/spin again, I'll stay if I'm in the lead and spin again if I'm behind. If I'm tied with exactly 1 person, then I'll stay if and only if the value we're tied at is 55 cents or more. If I'm tied with 2 people, I'll stay if and only if the value we're tied at is 70 cents or more.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #93 on: May 05, 2020, 07:17:53 PM »
And Plinkoman winds up, and he's looking for that dollar, and it won't come around again, but you may have something nice here...

85 cents! And Plinkoman is quite content with that.

tpiradam, you're up! 85 cents is the score to beat!
« Last Edit: May 05, 2020, 07:21:14 PM by gamesurf »
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #94 on: May 05, 2020, 07:23:03 PM »
2 & 5. Stop on 85 or higher.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #95 on: May 05, 2020, 08:05:09 PM »
And tpiradam's coming up--he's won some jewelry, but I'm sure he'd like to keep winning, and--

*tpiradam attempts to finnesse his spin, but his spin only makes it 3/4 of the way around*

And I'm afraid that spin won't do, Adam, you've got to get it all the way around. I'll help you out. Ready? 3, 2, 1, GO!

That looks more like it! A 95 would be great, but will it quite get there?

55. It takes 85 to do it! Another spin coming right up. Ready? 3, 2, 1, GO!

Back in the big numbers territory. You need a 30 to tie, 45 for the dollar. There goes 40...

And here comes 30, for the tie, but will it stop?

No.

*MRRP!*

tpiradam, thank you for appearing on the show today. It's been a pleasure to have you on. Take care!

LiteBulb88, you're up! Give that wheel a spin!

*LiteBulb88 winds up and gives it a big spin--the wheel goes around at least four times*

LiteBulb's had some energy drinks today, and it's going around! LiteBulb played Grocery Game expertly, and he's hoping to take those pricing skills to the Showcase...

But, from the looks of things, it's going to take another spin to get him there.

45 cents. Looking for anywhere from 40 to 55. And LiteBulb doesn't need to be told twice, there the wheel goes again!

*wheel makes another four revolutions*

Another huge spin! I'd say there's another show that needs to tape, but nobody on this board watches Young and Restless, so I'm sure they won't mind getting bumped a few minutes back...

That 45 once more would be great, but there it goes...

LiteBulb88, enjoy your motorcycle!

*Dig We Must*

Plinkoman, good news! You'll be joining us in the Showcases momentarily! We've got some FANTASTIC prizes waiting for you, coming up after these words!

[Host note: Yes, there's a rhyme and reason as to whether the wheel makes it all the way around--stay tuned til the end of the show if you want it revealed]

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #96 on: May 05, 2020, 09:50:25 PM »
Contestants not appearing on stage will receive...

I'm kind of outraged that the consolation prizes didn't include a soap and sanitizer dispenser. Or, say, a supply of Bayer aspirin.

(Actually, in the last days of when the consolation prizes were prizes, while some were higher and some were lower, the non-grocery prizes would usually run about $300–$400 apiece. So that hammock and e-reader would make a good pair of consolations.)
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #97 on: May 06, 2020, 02:36:00 PM »
I'm kind of outraged that the consolation prizes didn't include a soap and sanitizer dispenser. Or, say, a supply of Bayer aspirin.

(Actually, in the last days of when the consolation prizes were prizes, while some were higher and some were lower, the non-grocery prizes would usually run about $300–$400 apiece. So that hammock and e-reader would make a good pair of consolations.)

Hey, that Scott guy seems to have some great ideas! If you want a job as a consultant, you're hired. (It doesn't pay anything, but...)

-----

I am back on stage with tpir04, who is the top winner in our Showcases today! 

And right by his side, is the day’s runner-up… Plinkoman!

Both of these contestants, you may say, are comeback kids seeking a triumph! tpir04, you may remember, made a quick exit out of Contestant’s Row but became crushed when the scales of life did not line up in Balance Game. And Plinkoman had a confident decision but was burned by a stove in Swap Meet. But that’s not the end of the story—oh no, not by a long shot. Both are hungry for redemption, and eager to take another swing at some additional winning—and both have earned the right to bid on one of our fabulous showcases!

As I’m sure you both know, each of you will be presented with terrific showcase filled with thousands of dollars of wonderful prizes. The one of you who bids nearer to the actual retail price of your own showcase will win it. But if you are the winner, and you are $250 or less away from the retail price of your own showcase, you will win both showcases!

Pay close attention to this first showcase, because it could go to either one of you. Good luck!

This showcases contains prizes revealed as our producer realizes the CBS execs aren’t happy with how Recycling Awareness Week has been going so far!

“You’ve performed a bait and switch,” the CBS execs said—“Most of the prizes you’ve offered so far aren’t environmentally friendly at all!”

“I'm glad you brought that up,” said the producer; “Why don’t we take a seat and discuss this… at the table of this 100% recycled patio furniture!”

From Berlin Gardens, this eco-friendly outdoor patio set is the complete outdoor dining package! Comes with four swivel chairs, all designed for maximum comfort, two benches, and a table, all made from 100% recycled poly-lumber materials supported on an aluminum frame!

“Well, that’s not enough.” “You can’t just pay lip service to recycling and expect this to get on the air. You have to take this seriously!”

"I hear you loud and clear!" said the producer. "Promoting recycling is an art form. In fact, we could be taking inspiration from... this recycled mural!"

Lovingly crafted by an artist who creates pixelated works exclusively out of salvaged keyboard keys, this stunning mural brings 4500 keyboard keys back to life in a replication of Michelangelo's famous "Creation of Adam" painting. This mural, which measures 33" by 72", includes hidden words and messages spelled out at a close level, while demonstrating the power of giving secondhand materials a life of their own!

“Prizes like those that are great,” said the execs, “but not everything can be made of 100% recycled materials. You need to encourage people to get as much use of their products as possible.  As the saying goes, ‘Use it up, wear it out. Make it do, or do without.”

“I agree!” said the producer. “And the perfect way to send that message, is by ending a showcase with…

A RESTORED CAR!”

The 1948 Studebaker Champion! With its distinctive four-part wrap around rear window, this classic Studebaker includes a complete restoration of its interior, paint job, and chrome, while coming equipped with its original working heater, AM radio, and clock. Enjoy the then-futuristic designs of the classic postwar vehicle, and the many features that made this car ahead of its time, including pull-type door handles, no-glare instruments, self-adjusting brakes, and a two-piece panoramic windshield! It's the 1948 Studebaker Champion!

And this showcase, featuring prizes revealed as the CBS execs finally become convinced that Recycling Awareness Week isn't going to end up embarrassing their network, can be yours if the Price is Right!

And tpir04, being the top winner, you get the option! You can either bid on that showcase, or pass it on to Plinkoman and take your chances bidding on Showcase #2. What would you like to do?
« Last Edit: May 06, 2020, 02:40:53 PM by gamesurf »

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2020, 08:31:58 AM »
Against my better judgement, I'll bid, being as though I don't think the second showcase will be any better. $35,700 please.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2020, 02:53:13 PM »
*DING!*

Thank you for the vote of confidence! :D

Plinkoman, I promise you, we don't have junk. We have saved some WONDERFUL prizes for you to bid on. Some may even say we've saved the best for last. Plinkoman--take a look at your showcase!

This showcase contains prizes revealed as our producer, confident that he’s done the minimum amount necessary to please the execs, decides to go back to offering the prizes he REALLY wants to offer! And it starts with a fun… ping pong table!

From Cornilleau, this outdoor ping pong table provides superior bounce, is regulation size, and is easy to use! Each half folds independently and has a 16-point locking system! You get it all from Cornilleau!

But a ping pong table, great as it is, can’t comprise a showcase all on its own. It needs to be paired with something exciting, something that will add pizzazz and make the package more enticing. And what better way to do that to also offer a terrific… new motorcycle!

Power through the streets with style, with the Kawasaki Ninja H2 SX SE+! This stylish hot rod comes equipped with 4-cylinder, 998cc engine! Comes equipped with a wide variety of Electronic Rider Aids, including traction control, cornering management function, intelligent anti-lock brakes, quick shift, cruise control, and LED cornering lights!

Finally, even with those two prizes, everybody will be expecting you to end the show with an exciting climax. How do you follow up a ping pong table and a motorcycle?

Well, there’s only one thing that is up for the job!

You've got to offer a vehicle, but not just any vehicle! There's one specific make and model that's clearly a cut above all the rest!

You simply cannot top the thrill of offering…

a FORD RANGER!

It’s the 2000 Ford Ranger XL! This baby may not be new--in fact, it has over 210,000 miles on it--but don’t be put off! It’ll still haul whatever you need to haul! Comes equipped with 4 wheel drive, automatic transmission, dual front airbags, a stepside pickup bed, in-dash single-disk CD player, plus of those little two flip down chairs in the back of the cab! The 2000 Ford Ranger!

And this showcase, which puts heavy, heavy emphasis on the second word in "Recycling AWARENESS Week", can be yours if the Price is Right!

Plinkoman, for better or for worse, that is your showcase! What do you bid on it?
« Last Edit: May 07, 2020, 02:56:10 PM by gamesurf »

Online Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #100 on: May 07, 2020, 03:10:14 PM »
$24,255

No longer a Push Over!

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #101 on: May 08, 2020, 01:22:02 AM »
*DING!*

$24,255 for Plinkoman. $35,700 for tpir04. We'll be right back in a moment to find out who the winner is. Don't go away!

-------

Welcome back!

Plinkoman, we'll start with you. Your showcase had a ping pong table, a motorcycle, and a used Ford Ranger. You bid $24,255 on it.

Plinkoman, the Actual Retail Price of your showcase is...

$29,345; for a difference of...

$5,090.

And now over we go to tpir04! tpir04, as you know, you must come within $5,090 to win your showcase. your showcase included patio furniture, a mural, and a restored Studebaker. You bid $35,700 on your showcase. tpir04, the Actual Retail Price of your showcase... IS!

I'm sorry, tpir04, you're over!

Plinkoman, you win!

*DINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDINGDING*

Plinkoman's won over $30,000 in prizes today on The Price is Right! Congratulations! Enjoy your stuff!

*Plinkoman and his friends and family run across the stage in the Winner's Walk*

To those who watched and played along--thanks so much for making this a great HYO. Your support helps float goofy ideas like this one. This is gamesurf, reminding you--help control the virus population. Wash your hands and wear a mask!

Goodbye, everybody!

*main theme plays out*

This is AnnouncerTron 3000, speaking for The Price is Right! A G-R.net HYO Production!

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #102 on: May 08, 2020, 01:50:30 AM »
POSTMORTEM

Once again, thank you so much for your participation! Your participation is what makes this section of the board great--heck, it makes all of golden-road.net great.

Winners:
TPIRfan#9821: $39,503 (Truck, motorcycle, piano, ping pong, $500 bonus)
Plinkoman: $30,124 (Kawasaki Motorcycle, used truck, showcase ping pong, hammock & Kindle)
JayC: $11,604 (Motorcycle, luggage, ping pong)
LiteBulb88: $10,494 (Motorcycle, cookware)
Tpir04: $1,499 (Big Green Egg)
tpiradam: $1,449 (Pendant)
Pathfinder20, wpghi5, 123123123: $250
Everyone else: Laughs and good times

Showcase 1 breakdown:
Recycled Patio Set--$6,573
Recycled Computer Key Art--$7,200
Restored 1948 Studebaker--$15,700

Showcase 2 breakdown:
Ping Pong table form Cornilleau--$1,350
Kawasaki Ninja H2 motorcycle--$25,000
Used 2000 Ford Ranger--$2,995

Notes

As you’ve figured out, the goal behind the episode was to reuse a few prizes as much as possible

--without making the game setups totally trivial
--in a lineup that built upon itself that went along
--while maintaining something of a normal lineup (one GP game, one SP game, timings, etc.)

• Originally I thought the lineup would be a good April Fools themed show (like that one time where Kathy Kinney tried to offer the same showcase twice), but later I thought it might be more interesting not to say anything at first and let people figure it out for themselves as the episode played out and built upon itself. The "recycling awareness week" theme came about from that.
  • An earlier draft had all 6 IUFBs be six different types of lawn mowers (from push mowers to electric mowers to riding lawn mowers), but eventually I decided I wasn’t that crazy.
  • In previous drafts the motorcycle was supposed to be a Caribbean trip, but once COVID hit it was looking like offering five international flights wouldn’t be as funny a gag as it otherwise would.

The Showcase Showdown formula was actually surprisingly simple. Spins were determined by taking the position where the wheel was left off, and advancing it the following number of spaces:
n + c + 2^r

n = the number chosen by the player (1-20)
c = the number of characters in the player’s name
r = the number of “recycled” characters in a player’s name (characters that appear more than once)

For example, if each player were to choose the number 8, the wheel would advance:

gamesurf: 8 + 8 + 2^0 spaces, or 17 spaces.
Therealcu2010: 8 + 13 + 2^4 spaces, or 37 spaces.
123123123: 8 + 9 + 2^9 spaces. The wheel would advance 529 spaces. “It’s about to fly off its hinges! Call Young and Restless…”

So why did so many spins fall short? It was a combination of 1) people picking unusually small numbers, and 2) players won their way on stage with short names or names with all unique characters. Luckily the formula had contingencies for that to keep things fair:

If the wheel advanced less than 20 spaces, the spin did not get all the way around and doesn’t count, and the host would “help” them on the respin. Their previous spin was repeated, except this time adding a “gamesurf” spin to the contestant’s efforts: (n + 8 + 2^0, or n+9). (If THAT spin fell short, the host says something like “I hate being booed! We’re gonna double our efforts!”, and the previous spin was repeated except every instance of c was replaced with 2c. This guaranteed the wheel would advance at least 22 spaces.)

Obviously, any Showcase Showdowns in the future are going to have a different formula, so don't think you'll be able to get an instant $1.00 just by repeating this :-D

As for other notes? Uh... it was a fun lineup to build!

• Before designing the Balance Game prop, I also played around with adding some basic animations in After Effects to see how they would turn out, so it wasn't too difficult to swap out the $5,000 bag for a pile of $5,000 coins in Balance Game once the template was set up and tpir04 was joking around. Shame it wasn't won, but it wasn't the easiest setup. After all, I only had one shot to use that motorcycle in a game where the price mattered!
  • Safe Crackers was set up for a loss, so good on JayC for avoiding the $790!
  • Master Key was, indeed, an intentional LFAT trap. The keys were, going from left to right, 1-Ping Pong, 2-Master Key, 3-Dud, 4-Truck, 5-Motorcycle. Good on TPIRfan#9821 on covering both bases, and going right for key #2!
  • It was very, very tricky to find a Swap Meet setup that 1) offered more than $5,000 in prizes; 2) started with the $970 ping pong table, 4) included another 3-digit prize to set up Line Em Up, and 4) wasn't a total gimme.
  • Grocery Game was set up for a win, and LiteBulb88 played it wonderfully!
  • Line Em Up, despite being the last game, was the first game to be set up because everything else was supposed to flow into it.. Started with the truck and then every other prize came out of that, knowing that 1) one would have to end in 0 to be usable in Safe Crackers, 2) one would have to have three reasonable thousands digits AND be a decent fake for prize #1 in Swap Meet, 3) one would have to be a usable SP in Master Key, and 4) the truck couldn't be a gimme or have repeating digit options. The prizes weren't decided upon before hand--the ping pong table and oven were simply the things that fit those prices the best!

Once again, thanks for helping bring this show to life! I had a lot of fun planning it, and I hope you had a lot of fun watching and playing it! You can plan for a lot of things in advance, but you can’t plan for a great audience, and you guys certainly provided! Thank you so much for your comments and participation. Until next time--so long!

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #103 on: May 09, 2020, 12:10:59 AM »
This was an excellent show, gamesurf. I really enjoyed how you "recycled" prizes and prices throughout the episode. Looking forward to your next one!

Online Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #104 on: May 09, 2020, 02:38:09 PM »
That was very well written, gamesurf! I look forward for your next show.

Also, I FINALLY won a Showcase! Yay for me!  xlx

No longer a Push Over!