Author Topic: Jeopardy to replay GOAT with best of Jennings May 4-15  (Read 3740 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Jeopardy to replay GOAT with best of Jennings May 4-15
« on: April 22, 2020, 02:49:03 AM »
From May 4 through 15, Jeopardy! will replay their Greatest of All Time tournament  along with some Ken Jennings' key appearances including his first show and his last from his 75-game run. The GOAT episodes will be edited as eight half hour shows.

More details here.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Jeopardy to replay GOAT with best of Jennings May 4-15
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2020, 11:52:01 AM »
Of course this happens the week after Wheel of Fortune runs out of new episodes. Jeopardy! is going to kill Wheel in the ratings these weeks even more than usual, especially if my city continues to replace Wheel with repeats of the national 6:30 news whenever Wheel has reruns, all of which are from the late 2010's.

I feared that J! would go classic for its reruns while Wheel surely won't. Maybe if they weren't so stubborn about its older music on the airwaves:

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2020, 12:06:44 PM »
I feared that J! would go classic for its reruns while Wheel surely won't. Maybe if they weren't so stubborn about its older music on the airwaves:

Wheel plans to re-air some of the Season 33 Great American Cities episodes, which were taped with the previous music package. They will surely dub the new music over the old cues. Also, I don't think it's stubbornness so much as it is a royalty issue.

Jeopardy only has enough episodes to get through the end of May (including the Teacher's Tournament), so reairing the GOAT tournament makes sense. Doing it during May sweeps not only gets more eyeballs on the show during a crucial period, but allows them to extend the season into June. At least two weeks' worth of shows were taped without an audience, so they may not have wanted them to air during sweeps. Of course, that still leaves eight weeks of the season left to fill...
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2020, 04:59:29 PM »
Wheel plans to re-air some of the Season 33 Great American Cities episodes, which were taped with the previous music package. They will surely dub the new music over the old cues. Also, I don't think it's stubbornness so much as it is a royalty issue.
Are they really going all the way back to season 33 shows for reruns? Certainly an unprecedented season for Wheel with Pat's illness and Vanna hosting for three weeks, the show's (and Jeopardy's) Executive Producer retiring after the season, and now the pandemic forcing shows taped with no audience then suspension of tapings.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2020, 05:55:23 PM »
Are they really going all the way back to season 33 shows for reruns? Certainly an unprecedented season for Wheel with Pat's illness and Vanna hosting for three weeks, the show's (and Jeopardy's) Executive Producer retiring after the season, and now the pandemic forcing shows taped with no audience then suspension of tapings.

Yes. They haven't announced when, but there's buzz in the WOF community that some S33 contestants got phone calls recently that their shows will be re-aired soon.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2020, 06:27:41 PM »
Of course this happens the week after Wheel of Fortune runs out of new episodes. Jeopardy! is going to kill Wheel in the ratings these weeks even more than usual, especially if my city continues to replace Wheel with repeats of the national 6:30 news whenever Wheel has reruns, all of which are from the late 2010's.

Oh good lord. The ratings? Every advertiser knows the current numbers across the board aren’t going to be representative. That’s all the ratings matter for. This is not some battle between the shows. Sony is doing the best they can with what they have.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2020, 06:32:47 PM »
At least two weeks' worth of shows were taped without an audience, so they may not have wanted them to air during sweeps.

But won't they just dub in audience applause like Wheel is doing?

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2020, 06:59:25 PM »
That would make sense

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2020, 11:49:26 AM »
I could see the 2014 Decades Tournament as part of the rerun package, as well as James Holzhauer's run to fill the rest of the pre-emptions. Depending how late Season 37 starts, reruns from as far back as the Ultimate ToC wouldn't be surprising, and that would take us up to around Christmas, and new shows could start around then from tapings that fall. At least Wheel is showing a few episodes that are more than a couple years old, but I'd love to see special Throwback Thursday/Flashback Friday episodes from the '90s or '00s to show how far this show has gone. If The Young & The Restless is going as far back as 1990 to get through this situation, there's no reason Wheel/Jeopardy! can't.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline ssetta

« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2020, 06:49:10 PM »
I've actually been wondering if Jeopardy! could actually tape from home, like a lot of talk shows have been doing. I know it wouldn't work with most game shows, definitely not TPiR or LMaD. But just maybe Wheel could (except they wouldn't have a real wheel, but maybe they could have an electronic one like they do on the apps), but I think that Jeopardy! would work very well from home. Alex could film from his home, and the contestants would be in their homes. How do you think this sounds?

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2020, 07:08:51 PM »
It sounds like a terrible idea.  For a game that relies as much on knowledge as it does on response time to the buzzer, there’s no way you can make it an equitable game with 3 people playing at their homes.

Offline rj2345

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2020, 08:55:58 PM »
It sounds like a terrible idea.  For a game that relies as much on knowledge as it does on response time to the buzzer, there’s no way you can make it an equitable game with 3 people playing at their homes.

Not to mention that a big part of the Jeopardy strategy is who can buzz in first.

Reason I say that is lag time, someone can respond using a virtual buzzer first, but not get called on b/c the lag time had them go later.

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2020, 09:32:38 PM »
There was an unofficial fanmade virtual Wheel of Fortune thing done on Twitch a week or two ago and they didn't do the Toss-Ups at all. Buzzer-based games wouldn't work well.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2020, 10:40:43 AM »
I've actually been wondering if Jeopardy! could actually tape from home, like a lot of talk shows have been doing. I know it wouldn't work with most game shows, definitely not TPiR or LMaD. But just maybe Wheel could (except they wouldn't have a real wheel, but maybe they could have an electronic one like they do on the apps), but I think that Jeopardy! would work very well from home. Alex could film from his home, and the contestants would be in their homes. How do you think this sounds?

Honestly? Terrible. It's not a game that lends itself to that format at all.