Author Topic: OBIT - Jerry Falwell  (Read 5626 times)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: OBIT - Jerry Falwell
« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2007, 01:41:26 PM »

BRBTheFireball wrote:
I will say one good thing about Falwell:  At least his fatal heart attack didn't happen as a result of boinking his secretary, unlike Nelson Rockefeller.

Uh, can we stick to actual facts, please?

Speaking of which, Slate magazine has an interesting (and factual) rundown of statements made by Falwell over the years.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2007, 09:26:34 PM »
Amen, CBSpromoman. I for one am upset at his passing. My thoughts and prayers go out to his family for their loss.
1,684 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2007, 10:28:27 PM »
As a Christian, I believe in Christ's words:

"If any one of you is without sin, let him be the first to throw a stone." (John 8:7)

So while I do not agree with everything Mr. Falwell taught, I have no right to lamblast him in a public forum, either.  

He did do good things--he is often credited with getting born-again Christians involved in politics; before his time, evangelicals were taught that the church should stay out of the state's affairs.  They now make up (depending on whom you listen to) somewhere between 25-33% of voters.  Liberty University, which he founded, has produced solid Christian people and leaders;  for those of you familiar with the band d.c. Talk, that's where they met.

In short, while he wasn't perfect, none of us is, and as such, I want to make sure positives are brought out.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2007, 05:07:46 PM »
Thing about Falwell is that he felt that God's love was conditional--if you were Jewish, liberal, Muslim, anything outside of Christian Conservatism, you weren't worthy. He also blamed 9-11 on feminists, gays and the left wing. As if they allowed the terrorists to board those planes and ram them into the Pentagon and WTC.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Forrest20

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2007, 05:21:14 PM »
Ok, its quite clear at this point that nothing positive is going to come from this thread.

LOCKED.