Author Topic: tpiradam's Price is Right - Challenge Mode  (Read 22031 times)

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: tpiradam's Price is Right - Challenge Mode SIGNUPS
« Reply #15 on: May 08, 2020, 12:11:51 AM »
I'm in.

10 Chances. Before you boo me for choosing one of the top 3 LFAT games, let me just point out that by the mercy of the show, there have been two modifications to the game to make it easier: removing the 10 second time limit and the zero rule. There is nothing stopping the show from suddenly stopping the tradition, and going back to the 10 second rule, which will make many contestants nowadays lose at least one turn. If that happens, good luck pricing a Lego set from 678, a food processor from 3456, and a car from 12890, and assuming 24 practical solutions for the car, godspeed with a 251 / 3456 chance, or 7.2%, a worse chance than StD knowing the first number. Heck, you even only get about a 1 / 3 chance of even playing for the car to begin with! Name a game in current rotation that has worse odds, that doesn't feature some kind of bailout or partial system of at least $1,000. In fact, name two games in current rotation that even give you less than a 50/50 chance of playing for the car; you will be able to name Golden Road due to the grandiose car at the end, but that's it.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #16 on: May 08, 2020, 01:21:14 AM »
In fact, name two games in current rotation that even give you less than a 50/50 chance of playing for the car; you will be able to name Golden Road due to the grandiose car at the end, but that's it.

More or Less?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: May 08, 2020, 02:01:46 AM »
More or Less?
That's true. More or Less, made by Bob, was just simplified Golden Road without a grand prize at the end.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2020, 02:11:19 AM »
Okay, fine, I concede to Golden Road Lite :P .

You know, come to think of it, that would be a very evil game also if the first couple prizes weren't a give-me.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
Re: tpiradam's Price is Right Challenge Edition - IUFB#1
« Reply #19 on: May 10, 2020, 12:30:07 PM »
Generic Announcer: HERE IT COMES! FROM THE FAMOUS BOB BARKER STUDIO IN HOLLYWOOD CALIFORNIA! IT'S TPIRADAM'S PRICE IS RIGHT CHALLENGE EDITION!!!

PATRICKROX80! COME ON DOWN!!!
GAMESURF! COME ON DOWN!!!
WPGHI5! COME ON DOWN!!!
AND TPIRFAN#9821! COME ON DOWN!!!

YOU ARE HE FIRST FOUR CONTESTANTS ON TPIRADAM'S PRICE IS RIGHT! AND NOW HERE'S OUR HOST...TPIRADAM!!!

Thank you generic announcer! We have a very challenging hour ahead of us with eager contestants who will be rewarded with wonderful prizes utilizing a great deal of skill and luck! Good luck to everyone! Let's take a look at our first item up for bids on today's show!...

GA: It's a challenging arcade game!

The Pop-A-Shot Classic Single Shot Arcade Game features electronic scoring and easy fold up design for storage! Comes with three basketballs!

That challenging prize will go to the one of you four who bids closest to the actual retail price without going over. PatrickRox80, let's start with you!

« Last Edit: May 10, 2020, 01:14:42 PM by therealcu2010 »

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: May 10, 2020, 01:20:55 PM »
Good to know I’m not the only one here who thinks Super Ball!! is overrated. :biggrin:

I bid $600.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: tpiradam's Price is Right - Challenge Mode
« Reply #21 on: May 10, 2020, 04:23:22 PM »
Challenging? Is it like one of those carnival games where at the angle you’re shooting the hoop looks normal but actually the hoop is a squashed oval that’s so narrow the ball is barely able to pass through?

Anyways, $350.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: May 10, 2020, 05:28:59 PM »
Not saying anything more so I'll just go ahead and say $475. Lol!

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: May 10, 2020, 05:55:06 PM »
Um... $250?

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2020, 06:25:29 PM »
Aww, Silver's not here to YOU FOOL the three of you  ;)
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: tpiradam's Price is Right - Challenge Mode - PG#1
« Reply #25 on: May 10, 2020, 06:44:22 PM »
*DING*
*DING*
*DING*
*DING*

Actual retail price...$1,200!

PatrickRox80 come on up here! You sure showed those other in contestant's row they must've thought you really overbid! Now I can't think of anything better to start off the show than giving away one of these!:...

GA: It's a new car!

Now that's a rather dinky car, so how about we double the fun with one of these!:...

GA: It's another new car!

You know good things come in threes right?

GA: That's right! It's a new SUV!

THREE cars! Count em, THREE! We are playing Triple Play! You can't win just one car; you can't win just two; you have to win all three cars. Tell us about this first car!

GA: It's the Mitsubishi Mirage ES Hatchback! Comes with standard equipment including manual transmission, the Mitsubishi Mirage!

Here we have two prices:

What I want you to do is pick the price closest to that car's actual retail price without going over, and you'll advance to the next car. $15,495 or $15,785?

(sorry for the extra large pics. I tried to download small ones and don't know how to change the sizes here)

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: May 10, 2020, 06:48:52 PM »
Wow, I was torn between $500 and $600. Good thing I thought it was more expensive at the cost of my competitors. Hope none of you minds the pun.  :P

Not even giving me $300 to play with? Okay, if that's how you want to do things. It seems like you want me to go with the lower price, but then again this is the first car. How about we go with $15,785?

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #27 on: May 10, 2020, 06:56:29 PM »
He's going for $15,785. We're looking for a YES...

*DING*

He's right! Actual retail price is $15,801. That wasn't so difficult now was it? Onto the second car!

GA: It's the Hyundai Elantra Essential Sedan! Comes with standard equipment including manual transmission, the Hyundai Elantra!

A tad more difficult now. We have three prices to pick from. $20,985, $21,205 or $21,450?

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: May 10, 2020, 08:08:56 PM »
Less than $500 between the three prices is a tad? Sure thing.

I'm not one to apply logic the way other players here do, so I'm going to pick one at random. I'm going to say $21,205.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Re: tpiradam's Price is Right - Challenge Mode - PG#1
« Reply #29 on: May 10, 2020, 08:12:20 PM »
I tried to download small ones and don't know how to change the sizes here

You need to put a width and height, like this:

[img width=480 height=265 ]https://i.imgur.com/L7B8Zj0.png[/ img]

Of course, get rid of the extra spaces in the brackets. It'll look like the following if you do that: