Author Topic: Executive Producer - Bob Barker  (Read 2132 times)

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
Executive Producer - Bob Barker
« on: May 11, 2020, 01:55:49 AM »
According to the long credit roll, Barker was promoted to executive producer in 1988, but I remember hearing discussions several years ago around the time that pentellit (do "they" still post here?) was lurking heavily that Barker actually became EP two years earlier in 1986 and that supposedly the change wasn't reflected in the credits until after Frank Wayne's death in 1988 in order to not embarrass Wayne. True or fabricated?

Also, after Barker announced his retirement on Oct. 31, 2006, it was floated a few times (not officially, just heresay) that Bob might only be retiring as host, but would potentially stay on as executive producer, at least for a little while (a year or two) to help guide the new host in the right direction. Obviously, that didn't happen, but would that have been a good thing for Bob to have done? Drew was already so nervous in the beginning (constantly fidgeting with his coat/jacket pocket) that I think having Barker (as EP) watching just a few feet away or even backstage would have really made the new host (Drew or otherwise) a nervous wreck.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Executive Producer - Bob Barker
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2020, 04:34:45 AM »
It's somehow obvious that Bob didn't become the EP during the transition period, even just for a little while. It's because of Drew's behavior early on during his hosting. Playing with the products on Hi Lo and easily getting upset when he can't get the price card on Master Key? That's something Bob NEVER had done anywhere in his era.

Plus, I've never heard of Bob being EP in 1986, what I remember is he immediately succeeded Frank right after his passing on the March of 1988.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 04:42:57 AM by Jhay_Price05 »

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2020, 02:11:04 PM »
It's pretty much accepted fact that Frank Wayne was EP in name only the last few years of his life.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Sizeman

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Walking The Golden Road - after 20 years
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2020, 04:08:33 PM »
Does Bob still receive royalties from the show in some capacity even today? If so, wonder what is involved with that arrangement.