Author Topic: Do you know what I've noticed  (Read 2858 times)

Offline PookieNumNum

• Outside in Line
Do you know what I've noticed
« on: May 13, 2020, 01:59:30 PM »
I have not watched this show in years.  I am watching some of the new Episodes online.  It's pretty disgusting how full of themselves the modern group of contestants are and how they act.  I don't care what anyone says technology is turning people into mindless idiots.  Not 1 person is bidding $1    I have only watch 2 Episodes so far and I can't believe how stupid people are bidding....   You will literally have   $1200   $1800   $2000  and the last contestant will bid $1750   it just blows my mind.   

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: Do you know what I've noticed
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 02:21:36 PM »

Why is not bidding $1 a bad thing? If the lowest bidder is $1200, I'm last to bid and I think the ARP is higher than $1200 why in the blue hell would I bid lower than $1200? Are you insinuating I have to bid $1 because it's a catchphrase on the show?

(Also, if you end up continuing to post here - which I'm not sure will be the case -  for future reference, this board usually frowns upon clickbait titles. Keep that in mind, please.)
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 02:29:38 PM »
I do agree that strategy has gotten worse over the years, some of that being ignorance of the contestant pool, and some of it being contestants being more considerate of one another. While yes, a bid of 1 dollar above the highest bid is absolutely a great strategy and a long standing part of the show, on some level doing that still makes you kind of a dick.

As far as the pricing games themselves, I think a lot of it is perception on our part. Most people on this board are pretty serious watchers, we understand that some pricing games have obvious patterns or consistent methods of winning that are more successful than making random guesses. Anyone who pays attention will also eventually get a feel for the prices of recurring prizes, which car models are of the El Cheapo variety, which are the middle of the road, and which are on the higher end. With trips, most places in the lower 48 fall below 10k, while almost everything international, Alaska, or Hawaii is 10 grand or more. Casual viewers on the other hand, which comprise probably 95% of the viewing audience and 99% of the live audience won’t pick up on these things.

So it’s easy to sit at home and shout at your TV that the contestant is an idiot for not knowing that no Kia being offered on TPIR is ever going to be 25k, when you’re on stage in the moment you’re probably not thinking that.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 02:53:04 PM »
I do agree that strategy has gotten worse over the years, some of that being ignorance of the contestant pool, and some of it being contestants being more considerate of one another. While yes, a bid of 1 dollar above the highest bid is absolutely a great strategy and a long standing part of the show, on some level doing that still makes you kind of a dick.

This.

You're hanging out with the people for hours before the show and getting to know them. You get in the studio and you're all one big happy family, cheering each other on and helping each other win fabulous prizes. You get picked and you're over the moon. You have 300 brothers and sisters cheering you on. And you're going to kneecap Ethel on national TV because it'll give you a 3% greater chance of winning?

Unless I'm sure of the price, I gotta give them like a $20 cushion or something. It's like that scene in Princess Bride where the swordsman fights left-handed to give their opponent a fair shot.

(But if I'm picked, like, 8th, and the others are contenders for the FFBC, all bets are off! They had their chances!  :-x)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 03:34:55 PM »
(But if I'm picked, like, 8th, and the others are contenders for the FFBC, all bets are off! They had their chances!  :-x)

^Seconded, since I actually did that on the show :P

Although it is known for LFATs that $500 is the bare minimum on the show, not everyone is a LFAT. Spmahn encapsulates practically what I'd have to say. One-upping someone is the most strategic option, but if you fail, like the 1200-1201-1202 that happened today, you just get remembered as a jerk.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 04:30:50 PM »
What annoys me is when people say "1 dollar, Drew!" in a way that makes it sound like they're just showing off. Especially if they're the first bidder, when it makes no sense to bid $1.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 04:42:49 PM »
First off, I am a big believer in *not* bidding $1 or $500 as the last bidder. I wrote more about it here, but long story short, if the fourth bidder bids $1 or $500, they have a 25% chance of getting on stage, but 1-upping someone gives them a 33.33% chance of getting on stage.

As for 1-upping, remember The Price is Right is a game show. What's the goal of any game? To win, of course! Contestants should be taking advantage of every strategy allowed by the rules to maximize their chances of winning, and in contestant's row, that means they have to minimize other people's chances of winning. Had I been a 4th bidder when I was on the show, I would've 1-upped someone and not felt bad about it; had someone 1-upped me, I would've accepted it and congratulated them if that bid got them on stage.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 04:46:29 PM »
As someone who was a victim of this practically immediately myself there's no hard feelings as it's a part of the game. Was it smart for the guy next to me, bidder #2 to do so right away? Absolutely not, especially considering the last bidder one-upped him. It's been something done since the beginning of the show and I'm fairly certain it was even done during the Cullen era as well.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2020, 05:35:20 PM »
The thing that gets me is you have no control over when you’re called, how many bids you’ll get, or how many people will get the chance to one-up each other. There’s nothing you can do about it. Leaving a little crack and a chance for them to break through is the least can do. It’s a feel-good show, after all.

If I leave them a $20 cushion and they happen to get it, I really can’t feel bad, because they made a great bid.

(I also was at the taping with the Yvette incident—seeing it happen to somebody you’ve met in line tends to harden your opinion.)
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2020, 05:38:01 PM »
You're hanging out with the people for hours before the show and getting to know them. You get in the studio and you're all one big happy family, cheering each other on and helping each other win fabulous prizes. You get picked and you're over the moon. You have 300 brothers and sisters cheering you on. And you're going to kneecap Ethel on national TV because it'll give you a 3% greater chance of winning?

You better believe I'm kneecapping Ethel.  :-)

I kid, but 1-upping now is done so often, that no one can take it personally. Now, if the first person to 1-up someone way back in season 1 got glares from the players, was booed by the crowd and even berated by Bob himself, the optics might be different. Maybe they would have put a $10 buffer or something in place, but that ship sailed long ago.

Even more, if the person who 1-upped you makes it on stage, you should be in prime position to even it out, exact some kind of revenge.

Online Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2020, 05:50:59 PM »
I was sixth called down on my show, and I still one-upped someone! (P.S. It worked!)  xlx

I really did feel bad about it, and I did consider giving the other contestant a bit of a cushion, but I also did NOT want to be stuck in Contestant's Row for the whole show! (P.S. The contestant I one-upped was one of the first four and never got on stage.)
1,718 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 08:24:44 PM »
Contestant #1 Bid $500, Contestant #2 Bid $600, Contestant #3 Bid $700, Contestant #4 Bid $701
ARP = $2499.
Contestant #4 = "dick"

Contestant #1 Bid $500, Contestant #2 Bid $600, Contestant #3 Bid $700, Contestant #4 Bid $2300
ARP = $2499
Contestant #4 = "Not a dick"

What's the difference??  It's all perception only.  Contestant #4 was going to win either way.  The only difference is that, for about 2 seconds, Contestant #3 has the PERCEPTION of a chance at winning (until the ARP is revealed).  In reality, it doesn't matter.

Are you a dick if you one-upped someone, but you BOTH overbid, and someone else won because they bid lower than you both?

The reality is, if the goal is to be closer than anyone else and get up on stage to win a prize, then why feel bad when you employ a strategy that maximizes your chances of winning?

"Oh, I'm not going to $1-up you because I'm a nice guy", and you can just sit there and watch as Ethel plays for a car or a metric crap-ton of cash.

I think I'm a nice guy, but I'm sorry, Ethel.  I want to win, too.  If $1-upping you is what it takes, then so be it.

Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 08:50:33 PM »
What's the difference??  It's all perception only. 

I think the argument for the other side is the perception. Any sane person watching the show shouldn't think someone personally is a dick based on their logically sound bidding strategy on a game show. However, there are a lot of people that make it to the Row and see it as their 15 minutes of fame, don't want to look bad during it.

I'm still 1-upping Ethel though.   :lol:

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 09:06:46 PM »
Contestant #1 Bid $500, Contestant #2 Bid $600, Contestant #3 Bid $700, Contestant #4 Bid $701
ARP = $2499.
Contestant #4 = "dick"

Contestant #1 Bid $500, Contestant #2 Bid $600, Contestant #3 Bid $700, Contestant #4 Bid $2300
ARP = $2499
Contestant #4 = "Not a dick"

What's the difference??  It's all perception only.  Contestant #4 was going to win either way.  The only difference is that, for about 2 seconds, Contestant #3 has the PERCEPTION of a chance at winning (until the ARP is revealed).  In reality, it doesn't matter.

I don’t think we disagree—if you know what you’re bidding on is way over $700, it doesn’t make a difference whether you bid $701 or $2300.

I’m talking a $20 buffer. If you already know it’s not $700-$719, what do you lose by bidding $720? Nothing. (You can usually rule out a $20 range pretty reliably on most IUFBs, anyways—not a lot of IUFBs end in x01-x19) It isn’t optimal strategy, but that’s the point. It’s just a nice token.

Unless you want to dunk on everybody for making obviously terrible bids. Or get back at somebody for 1-upping you first. It’s a general principle, not a hard rule—I’m a little flexible.  :-D