Author Topic: Retired Games Idea  (Read 11180 times)

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
Retired Games Idea
« on: May 14, 2020, 10:53:33 PM »
I've been watching some mid-70s to 1990s episodes of Price lately. I've realized that if some retired games were broughy back, they'd be a nice fit on Drew's era.

Drew "not being a golfer" can have fun with Superball!! Although this should be a car game now, due to the game's difficulty.

Another one is Hurdles. I'd like to see Drew fire that pistol without blowing someone's ear.  :lol:

What other retired games do you think fit with the atmosphere of today's show?

Offline SuperMatch93

Re: Retired Games Idea
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2020, 11:11:09 PM »
The different stunts in On the Nose would be fun to see, especially if some of the models demonstrated.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2020, 11:12:44 PM »
Superball would have to be changed so it took less time to play, but I agree Drew would like it since he likes bowling.

Penny Ante could be brought back if they made the board and price displays digital.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2020, 11:17:28 PM »
A pistol on TV? That's a HUGE longshot.

Let's see, with the rise of online gambling sites and gaming apps Poker Game might be able to make a return. It's straightforward enough, though if necessary a table showing hand rankings could come in handy. Same I suppose for Hit Me, though that might be a tad too complicated.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 11:41:43 PM »
Same I suppose for Hit Me, though that might be a tad too complicated.

I don't dislike Hit Me, but you really can't understate how convoluted it can get.  It has the longest rulesheet of any pricing game, and it still doesn't cover every situation that can come up.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2020, 11:42:21 PM »
Penny Ante could be brought back if they made the board and price displays digital.
Penny Ante is a great easy game to play, and I hope it returns sometime in the rotation. I'm missing those big ol' pennies.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2020, 12:41:45 AM »
Bump would work very well with the show today. Penny Ante would also be good, as it's a quickie GP game. Walk of Fame could work with an automatic second chance on the first mistake (I'm trying to think of good games with the time constraints the show faces today). Credit Card may work with the old rules, or even as a 4-prize game (avoid the most expensive prize, the opposite of Shopping Spree).

I can also see Give or Keep/Finish Line and/or Hurdles coming back. Poker Game would work well, and I can't see why they can't play it with 4-digit prizes. I think Drew would do very well at hosting it, as he has a history with poker. I think Drew is a good enough host that if they brought back Buy or Sell and/or Make Your Mark that Drew would host them well and without difficulty.

I could possibly see a 4-card version of Joker coming back. They could also re-work Shower Game to make it seem a bit less goofy.

Heck, if they can bring back a crappy game like Time Is Money, I have faith that the production team could rework better retired games into the show now.

On an interesting note, back when the show had a blog on their website, I asked Fingers what two retired games does she miss the most. Her response: Hurdles and It's Optional. Considering car options are playing a bigger part in changing the prices of cars, I could possibly see this one making a comeback in this day and age.
1,719 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2020, 01:02:30 AM »
As much as I like a lot of retired games—and as much as I’d like to see Drew host them—most of them had a good reason as to why they were retired.

So I would like to see some old favorites return—but each one has a big “but” next to it.

Penny Ante, but only if it they can recreate an awesome set that’s at least as memorable as the original.

Super Ball, but only if they can figure out how to streamline it and bring its timing down.

Hurdles, but only if the set has a little hurdler physically jumping over the hurdles. No video wall half-measures.

If I had to pick one not yet mentioned, Super Saver. The presentation was cool, the gameplay was unique, and it was retired for a silly reason.

Let's see, with the rise of online gambling sites and gaming apps Poker Game might be able to make a return. It's straightforward enough, though if necessary a table showing hand rankings could come in handy. Same I suppose for Hit Me, though that might be a tad too complicated.

I’ve got my own crazy views about not missing Poker Game or Hit Me that much, but I’d not be opposed to them getting reworked a la Balance Game/Time is Money.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline bonkers77

« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2020, 01:52:01 AM »
The Phone Home Game
Super Ball!!
Hit Me
Poker Game

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2020, 02:13:35 AM »
There were plenty of fun games that are no longer with us. I’ve always had some ideas to modify them/bring them back.

Penny Ante: Of course. It should have never been retired in the first place. Instead of flaps, give it digital readouts!

Bump: Who cares about a little twist of the hip! It was a fun game. My idea: instead of buses, theme it after a carnival (bumper cars).

Hurdles: Hurdley Guy deserves his moment to shine. I’m sure they could make something that would work nowadays.

Super Ball!!!: Cash game or bust. It’s way too high stakes to be a regular multi-prizer.

Split Decision: Touch screens instead of movable numbers. Have them reset automatically after each try.

Make Your Mark: Three prizes, fourth number is a cash bonus. No more $500 in cash.

Credit Card: I would revamp the concept. Have two “pairs” of prizes, each with a model. Contestant must purchase the pair that won’t exceed their credit limit.

Buy or Sell: Three prizes with an incorrect total value shown. Instead of going down the line, the contestant must decide if they want to “buy” if the actual total is lower, or “sell” If the actual total is higher.

Joker: If they really jazzed it up, played it center stage with “new Card Sharks” like reveal, it could be a better game. Perfect pricing nets the player an extra $500.

Give or Keep: Great pricing concept. Just could have a better set.

Step Up: I liked how rarely it was played.

The rest can stay retired.

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2020, 09:53:03 AM »
Do you think Super Saver could work today

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2020, 10:17:04 AM »
It would, actually. To say the least, it can still be won in sone cases you've picked the price marked higher than the MSRP of the product, so people can win this in today's era...

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #12 on: May 15, 2020, 10:25:29 AM »
I have an opinion with Shower Game. Why not add a grocery product pricing portion to earn choices of the showers. Plus change the confetti's rules from being able to choose another stall to being "nothing".

With Add 'Em Up, I picture it as an Any Number-type game. For instance they'll give the contestant the first number. And then Drew will explain that the remaining four numbers are from 0-9, possibly another 1, if in the case 1 is also the first number, then the same 4-digit playing rule applies.

Also, bring back Credit Card! I just love the FREE SAMPLES on the machine.  :oldlol:

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2020, 11:08:07 AM »
Gallery Game with a touch screen and stylus or bust.

Retired, quick, spruced up, sates the needs of fans that can't leave the past behind. Perfect.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2020, 11:34:38 AM »

Why wouldn't it work? The game was not hurt by inflation, just Bob being mad that a contestant got a technical win because of an error he made.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won