Author Topic: Retired Games Idea  (Read 11189 times)

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Retired Games Idea
« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2020, 12:35:59 PM »
On an interesting note, back when the show had a blog on their website, I asked Fingers what two retired games does she miss the most. Her response: Hurdles and It's Optional. Considering car options are playing a bigger part in changing the prices of cars, I could possibly see this one making a comeback in this day and age.
The problem with It’s Optional is that back when it was played, very few cars were offered with “preferred equipment packages” or “option packages” these days compared to back in the 70s and 80s.  It was much easier back then to take a base car, add 4 or 5 options to it, and influence the price by within $1000 or so.  I mean I had an old car in college (1981 AMC Concord) that I bought used in 1996 and it had the “radio delete option”.  You could get a car with power locks and manual windows, or vice versa if you ordered them that way.  Side note: I did buy a new car in 2003 that had power door locks and manual windows - it was the base model and came that way...

The last 2 cars I bought, I ordered from the factory in both cases.  In each case, the options consisted of “technology package” or “luxury package” or “trailer towing package” - not individual options.  Each of those alone are more than the difference between individual options back in the day...

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2020, 01:43:46 PM »
Why wouldn't it work? The game was not hurt by inflation, just Bob being mad that a contestant got a technical win because of an error he made.

It was hurt a little by inflation, but it would be an easy fix—just make the goal to save $2.00 or $3.00 instead of $1.00, and adjust the fake prices accordingly.

Definitely not a serious concern.

Penny Ante: Of course. It should have never been retired in the first place. Instead of flaps, give it digital readouts!

The “flaps malfunction too much” thing was a lame excuse, anyways.

Digital, physical, whatever. I want a set that lets them show off inventive camerawork. No other game was shot like Penny Ante.

Physical reveals are cooler, IMO, but I’m flexible just as long as the set is cool and the presentation is top notch. Penny Ante at its core was a boring, simple game—but the presentation made it unforgettable.

If we’re trying to get excited over a big generic monitor, OTOH, I’m not interested.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2020, 02:08:32 PM »
Penny Ante would probably still be around, except it was retired and the prop was left by a dumpster. The producers had a staff meeting and decided to have the game fixed so the flippers wouldn't reveal another choice by accident. Unfortunately, the game was left by a dumpster outside and it was rained on, and the set was damaged beyond repair. I think they could easily rebuild the prop and have it be used in the lineup today. It's a simple game, a GP-quickie that would cut down on a lot of Vend-o-Price playings, and it really did have one of the coolest sets and sound effects on the show.

As for Casey's It's Optional post about car options... about 15 years ago my grandfather won a truck at a raffle (yes, he actually WON a truck). It was an old company truck, a Ford F-150, that was as basic as they come. It didn't have power windows, power steering, the brakes were very sensitive, and it had a very old AM/FM radio. It was not the easiest thing to drive, but it worked and was free! It's interesting to see how several options are now basic features in cars. It's also nice to not have to crank those stupid windows anymore- that was a true workout!

BTW, that truck is still running.
1,718 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2020, 09:09:05 PM »
I don't dislike Hit Me, but you really can't understate how convoluted it can get.  It has the longest rulesheet of any pricing game, and it still doesn't cover every situation that can come up.

And, at least in later years it was a fairly simple game to win, if you understood a couple fairly simple math ideas.  One that anything times 10 ends in a zero (unlike an early playing I just found that had three items with that, any of which looked possible) and two that they often had an item as the right price where that wasn't easily divisible (like the $3.79 cleaning item in the same old episode).

Online brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #19 on: May 16, 2020, 09:20:34 AM »
Many of the retired games could be reimagined to varying degrees to fit modern Price, as Time Is Money has shown.  There are three in particular that I'd most like to see vastly reimagined versions of, which are:

1. Professor Price - retooled as a small prize game for $15,000, with 'Professor Price' being played by a real human (usually one of the models, or perhaps occasionally a 'celebrity guest' where appropriate) wearing a professor's coat and glasses who has "set" the contestant "the ultimate pricing test".  I think Drew would have a lot of fun banter with whoever is playing the role Professor Price in the same way he does with the models in other games like Pocket Change and Grocery Game.   

For the gameplay portion, my idea is that there would be four small prizes.  The contestant goes through the first three small prizes, each of which is a 50/50 decision of different kinds (perhaps subtly based on various other pricing games to lean into the "ultimate pricing test" concept).  The professor then reveals how many of the three the contestant has correct, with the contestant earning $1000 if only one is correct, $2000 for two correct and $5000 for all three correct.   The professor then challenges them to the fourth small prize, which is a 'tripler'.  They can either bail with the amount they won from the first three small prizes, or choose to play the fourth small prize (which would be a 1-in-3 pricing decision) to triple the amount they have already won.

2.  On The Spot - a game that had a lot of potential but needed simplifying and better presentation before being allowed to appear on air.  I'd look at playing it with 5 items and two paths with two prices in each path.  If they get one right they move forward to the next spot in that path; if they get it wrong they move sideways to the other path for a second chance.  The path itself would be made up of larger circles that can be stood on and light up, similar to Pathfinder, with the stated aim to get "On The Spot" at the other end of the path to win the game.

3.  Give Or Keep - same gameplay with the small prizes, but with a "Tug of War" themed prop (and a new name to go with it).  The contestant's aim is to have the flag on their side at the end of the game.  If they choose the more expensive prize in a pair, the flag moves to their side an equal number of spaces to the difference.  If not, it moves to the opponent's side.  The game could also be setup so that if the contestant gets all three decisions right, the flag would move into an end zone on their side that would win them a $1000 bonus (which would help to keep the reveal interesting through to the end).

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #20 on: May 16, 2020, 10:14:06 AM »
1. Professor Price - retooled as a small prize game for $15,000, with 'Professor Price' being played by a real human (usually one of the models, or perhaps occasionally a 'celebrity guest' where appropriate) wearing a professor's coat and glasses who has "set" the contestant "the ultimate pricing test".  I think Drew would have a lot of fun banter with whoever is playing the role Professor Price in the same way he does with the models in other games like Pocket Change and Grocery Game.   

For the gameplay portion, my idea is that there would be four small prizes.  The contestant goes through the first three small prizes, each of which is a 50/50 decision of different kinds (perhaps subtly based on various other pricing games to lean into the "ultimate pricing test" concept).  The professor then reveals how many of the three the contestant has correct, with the contestant earning $1000 if only one is correct, $2000 for two correct and $5000 for all three correct.   The professor then challenges them to the fourth small prize, which is a 'tripler'.  They can either bail with the amount they won from the first three small prizes, or choose to play the fourth small prize (which would be a 1-in-3 pricing decision) to triple the amount they have already won.
Great idea there Brosa! It's much easier, rather than having general knwoledge questions. Plus it would be fun if the "professor" would rotate with the models, George, or the staff members. Sorry but I do not like the concept of having guest stars.

Also with your vision on On The Spot, 3 spots still should be on each path, and your gameplay remains the same. The "moving sideways" and "illuminated spots" are indeed a nice touch to the game if it were to be refurbished.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: May 16, 2020, 12:28:34 PM »
Bump would work very well with the show today.
The element of the models bumping the prices the way they did would have to be adjusted, but yes it would be a game that could easily be brought back to add a quick 2 prize game.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: May 16, 2020, 07:01:25 PM »
Here's my stab at an explanation from Drew for Hit Me should it come back:

Drew: "We're playing a game called Hit Me. [Contestant name], cut these cards, if you would please-- (contestant cuts)-- thank you. George/Rachel/James/Devin/Manuela/Amber will take these cards over to the board, and will draw the top card, which will be the hole card for the house; (dealer) will then draw the next card, and that will be the up card for the house; house hits at 16 and below, and stays on 17 and above. Your job is to get 21, or get as close as you can to 21 without going over. We have 6 grocery items here, and you'll draw your cards from those grocery items. There is one item with a price multiplied by 10, from which you'll get a 10 or a picture card, and one with an exact price, where you'll get an ace (which you can turn into 11); get both of those, and you win the prize right off. All the others are multiplied by various other numbers. You pick a product, and we draw its card and put it on your side of the board. When you've made your hand, you stop, and we reveal the dealer's hand compared to yours. If the dealer gets 21/blackjack, you lose; if the dealer gets closer to 21 than you do, you lose; and if you bust, you lose. However, if you get 21/blackjack, you win; if you get closer to 21 than the dealer without busting, you win; if the dealer busts, you win; and if you tie, you win. So there are three ways to lose and four ways to win. George, tell us about the grocery items, please."

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: May 16, 2020, 08:09:58 PM »

Drew: "We're playing a game called Hit Me. [Contestant name], cut these cards, if you would please-- (contestant cuts)-- thank you. George/Rachel/James/Devin/Manuela/Amber will take these cards over to the board, and will draw the top card, which will be the hole card for the house; (dealer) will then draw the next card, and that will be the up card for the house; house hits at 16 and below, and stays on 17 and above. Your job is to get 21, or get as close as you can to 21 without going over. We have 6 grocery items here, and you'll draw your cards from those grocery items. There is one item with a price multiplied by 10, from which you'll get a 10 or a picture card, and one with an exact price, where you'll get an ace (which you can turn into 11); get both of those, and you win the prize right off. All the others are multiplied by various other numbers. You pick a product, and we draw its card and put it on your side of the board. When you've made your hand, you stop, and we reveal the dealer's hand compared to yours. If the dealer gets 21/blackjack, you lose; if the dealer gets closer to 21 than you do, you lose; and if you bust, you lose. However, if you get 21/blackjack, you win; if you get closer to 21 than the dealer without busting, you win; if the dealer busts, you win; and if you tie, you win. So there are three ways to lose and four ways to win. George, tell us about the grocery items, please."

Wordcount: 272 words
Average speaking speed: 130 words per minute

(And it’s not even a bad explanation—this is a serious issue that comes hard-baked into the game)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2020, 08:12:00 PM by gamesurf »
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #24 on: May 16, 2020, 08:27:55 PM »
Another one that I think may work well today, but I always seem to forget about it: Mystery Price. It has strategy and I think today's audience might do better with it than the audiences of the mid-70's did.
1,718 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: May 16, 2020, 10:00:28 PM »
Mystery Price could work today, but I might lower the SPs to 3 to shorten it a bit. Also, I'm not too sure the audience of today would do any better or worse than those of the past. As long as the concept of the game stays the same, the crowd shouldn't have a big effect. Plus, this audience started chanting $795 during Ten Chances earlier this season, they are not to be trusted.  :-D

With all the different games in this thread, I don't think the question should be if they would work because we know they could work because they have worked. Except for a select few (looking at you, Professor Price), all the games were probably tested and well thought out before any money or invested time. Along the same lines, there were probably decent or physical reasons why they were giving the boot.

I would probably just leave all the retired games retired. If pressed for a choice though, it would definitely be Penny Ante like others have said earlier. The most unfortunate reason for retirement, a short GP game and the best sound effect in the history of the show.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: May 16, 2020, 11:56:14 PM »
I was also going to suggest that Professor Price could be redone with a real person in the role of the Professor, and that the questions be more price-centered.  I hadn't given any extended thought to the gameplay, so what brosa0 suggested is fine with me.

As far as the role of the Professor, I was just thinking along the lines of a "special celebrity guest," but brosa0's suggestion that one of the models or staffers could also do the job also works.  The thing with a celebrity as Professor is that the celebrity's presence wouldn't dominate the show, because that would be his only appearance(as opposed to, say, the recent RuPaul appearance, which I felt took too much away from the contestants).

Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline greg

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #27 on: May 17, 2020, 11:03:08 AM »
Love these ideas!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2020, 02:21:36 PM »
One game I'm glad that's not been mentioned was Trader Bob. No suspense, waaaaay too predictable and no room for error. You could easily tell in every single playing if the contestant won or loss before the final reveal. A good game on paper, but not in execution. I think it would in be SLIGHTLY improved if none of the prices were revealed until the end of the game.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2020, 02:25:07 PM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2020, 04:19:46 PM »
Another one that I think may work well today, but I always seem to forget about it: Mystery Price. It has strategy and I think today's audience might do better with it than the audiences of the mid-70's did.

Mystery Price could work today, but I might lower the SPs to 3 to shorten it a bit.

IMO the biggest reason Mystery Price failed is it botched the presentation. The core concept was interesting and not too complex--but the way it was presented just threw way too much at the contestant and didn't give them any time to process what was going on.

The set didn't help at all. You can look at the sets of Money Game or Bonus Game or Give or Keep and figure out what you're supposed to do pretty easily. The set for Mystery Price didn't really provide any clues like that, and relied on Bob to do too much of the heavy lifting himself.

If they were able to break the reveal down into something more digestible (like reveal the game first, then the Mystery Price prize only, and then the big prize) and get a better set (maybe a Switcheroo-like board with different rows for the SPs and columns for the the bid, and an ARP reveal) it could make a decent SP game.