Author Topic: Retired Games Idea  (Read 11186 times)

Offline SilverFirePrime

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Can this be ressurected next?
Re: Retired Games Idea
« Reply #30 on: May 18, 2020, 05:02:26 PM »
Give and Take could easily be brought back, but I think reskinning/naming it to something like 'Tip the Scales' to where you put the SPs on a scale and have to tip it on to the 'win' side.

While I'm reskinning games, you could re-skin On The Spot as trying to guide an explorer out of an ancient temple.  If you guess what SP is the price listed in the room, Indiana Price doesn't trigger any traps.  If he triggers traps in all three paths, he's stuck in there and you lose

I don't see a reason Bump couldn't be brought back nowadays. 

I'm not giving up hope on Superball making a comeback.  The last playing of it took about six minutes from IFUB price reading to end, and Hot Seat's debut took about 5:30 from IFUB price winning to the end.  There's plenty of ways they could save time.  Go with a quickie-heavy lineup like they do on Hot Seat days,  make Superball party (or all) cash based to cut back on the prize descriptions, and going with at least one two prize showcase that day jumps to mind.

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #31 on: May 18, 2020, 07:54:48 PM »
Give and Take could easily be brought back, but I think reskinning/naming it to something like 'Tip the Scales' to where you put the SPs on a scale and have to tip it on to the 'win' side.
...so Balance Game I.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #32 on: May 18, 2020, 08:40:41 PM »
One game I'm glad that's not been mentioned was Trader Bob. No suspense, waaaaay too predictable and no room for error. You could easily tell in every single playing if the contestant won or loss before the final reveal. A good game on paper, but not in execution. I think it would in be SLIGHTLY improved if none of the prices were revealed until the end of the game.

I think revealing the prices was the biggest mistake in the game. It killed all suspense for the final reveal. I think if they brought it back, gave it a “Step Up” like concept of a money ladder with increased choices, it could be way more dynamic. Or they could simply bring back “Give or Keep”, which is the same exact concept. Keep the more expensive of the pair of prizes.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #33 on: May 18, 2020, 10:08:32 PM »

I don't see a reason Bump couldn't be brought back nowadays. 

I for one would like to request that we do not bring bad 1975 game shows into The Price is Right, but that's just me.

As for Bump, there main appeal of Bump was watching female models wind their hips. That would be a bad thing in 2020. (Yes, I know Price enjoys making jokes about shirtless James and Devin.) You'd have to bring the concept back in a new name, and even then, it's not the easiest game to comprehend if you don't already understand it.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline StacksOfCash

• In the Audience
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2020, 06:45:53 PM »
I would have like to see On The Spot return with a full revamp that could include LED lighting, a larger stage,  and better color choices i.e Red/Blue/Green. The selected path would light up on selection, and turn off when a contestant guesses a price wrong. You could even make it such that all paths start off lit and a contestant "loses" when there are no more lighted paths to walk. I wouldn't even bother changing the rules as they were never complicated to begin with. Just pick a path and select the products that match the price shown. If they really wanted to make it less ambiguous, they could even show a screen/monitor with the current price to guess.

I've seen suggestions for "Buy or Sell" appear, but functionally that game is basically a less flashy version of More or Less.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2020, 09:38:24 PM »
IIRC Roger once said that the original plan for On the Spot was to have a much grander "spot" like the one you described, with a raised platform and lighted prices that would go out once the path was no longer available, but it had to be scrapped for budgetary reasons.

I didn't hate the game, but I don't remember it too fondly either; you could usually tell when a contestant was going to lose with just a pick or two. If they missed the first prize, it seems like they were always a goner. It felt like they were always building up excitement, then scrapping it, then building it up, than scrapping it... it was difficult to get invested.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JhayPrice

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2020, 11:47:50 PM »
I just don't like the crappy color combo of G-DB-O-Br-G-P-Y-LB-G-Br-O-DB-G. Much better if they made it like Pathfinder, and made the prices easier.

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #37 on: May 20, 2020, 12:31:33 AM »
For "On the Spot", what if they instead used a light up board with dots and revised the game to be more along the lines of "Connect the Dots" instead of the walking aspect of "Pathfinder".

Start at the center dot (FREE SPACE). The goal is to make it to any blank corner dot. The board is filled with dots/prices, some correlate to the SP's, some are "fake" prices that do not correlate to the prizes. The contestant chooses a dot/price, and must decide if the price is a "fake", or if it corresponds to one of the prizes. A correct choice lights up the dot as green/all corresponding dots of the same price light up. An incorrect choice lights up the dot as red/all corresponding prices light up. If the price does belong to a SP, and the contestant is wrong, the correct price on the board lights up red, but that dot/price is eligible to be chosen again. The game ends when either the contestant reaches a corner dot (WINS), or exhausts all possible connections (LOSES).

ooooooo
          ooooooo
          ooooooo
          ooooooo
          ooooooo

Just a crazy idea/modification.

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #38 on: May 20, 2020, 11:26:04 AM »
To bring back Bump, they could add a large novelty hammer/mallet that the contestant (or host/model) uses to bump the prices to the side.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2020, 02:59:02 PM »
For "On the Spot", what if they instead used a light up board with dots and revised the game to be more along the lines of "Connect the Dots" instead of the walking aspect of "Pathfinder".

Start at the center dot (FREE SPACE). The goal is to make it to any blank corner dot. The board is filled with dots/prices, some correlate to the SP's, some are "fake" prices that do not correlate to the prizes. The contestant chooses a dot/price, and must decide if the price is a "fake", or if it corresponds to one of the prizes. A correct choice lights up the dot as green/all corresponding dots of the same price light up. An incorrect choice lights up the dot as red/all corresponding prices light up. If the price does belong to a SP, and the contestant is wrong, the correct price on the board lights up red, but that dot/price is eligible to be chosen again. The game ends when either the contestant reaches a corner dot (WINS), or exhausts all possible connections (LOSES).

ooooooo
          ooooooo
          ooooooo
          ooooooo
          ooooooo

Just a crazy idea/modification.

So Pathfinder and Penny Ante had a three-way with BANKO's bonus round?

Offline greg

« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2020, 02:32:17 PM »
I always thought if you think it’s too sexy to have Amber or Manuela “Bump”, then also have James & Devin bump. 

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2020, 08:27:17 PM »
I still say that if Hurdles comes back, it would be Drew's favorite game! He would have a blast doing the race commentary!  It would be similar to Rat Race, but of course a much longer race.

Joe

Offline brosa0

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The answer is meat
« Reply #42 on: May 23, 2020, 06:04:42 AM »
IMO the biggest reason Mystery Price failed is it botched the presentation. The core concept was interesting and not too complex--but the way it was presented just threw way too much at the contestant and didn't give them any time to process what was going on.

The set didn't help at all. You can look at the sets of Money Game or Bonus Game or Give or Keep and figure out what you're supposed to do pretty easily. The set for Mystery Price didn't really provide any clues like that, and relied on Bob to do too much of the heavy lifting himself.

If they were able to break the reveal down into something more digestible (like reveal the game first, then the Mystery Price prize only, and then the big prize) and get a better set (maybe a Switcheroo-like board with different rows for the SPs and columns for the the bid, and an ARP reveal) it could make a decent SP game.

Agreed with this.  Mystery Price is an enjoyable game from the playings available on Youtube, but it is crippled by a poor set and Bob's overly wordy explanations.

I actually think Double Digits was a decent game too (with the second rules) but suffered from having perhaps the worst, least intuitive set out of any game ever.  With the benefit of nearly 50 years' experience in presenting pricing games and the use of technology, both games would be a lot better if they were around today.

Speaking of Double Digits, I wonder if it would've worked better with Switcheroo gameplay, as below (using this week's Switcheroo playing as an example):

So basically Switcheroo rules, but the first number of each small prize would double as the corresponding number in the price of the car (the numbers in red, from top to bottom).  Of course DD was around well before Switcheroo's time, and would've been played for four-digit cars back then.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: May 23, 2020, 11:34:18 AM »
^I like the idea of using a Switcheroo type board for the game, it would make it a bit like Line 'em Up in presentation.

With a clearer board like this, they could probably keep the same gameplay as before with a few aesthetic changes. They could give the first number for free and 4 pairs of different colored blocks to represent the 4 digit choices.

Using your example board, it might be something like "one of these red colored blocks here, either the 3 or the 5, represents the first number in the price of the cotton candy maker. That same number is also the second number in the price of the car." Still a bit wordy, but visually should be clear.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #44 on: May 23, 2020, 06:04:02 PM »
Agreed with this.  Mystery Price is an enjoyable game from the playings available on Youtube, but it is crippled by a poor set and Bob's overly wordy explanations.

I actually think Double Digits was a decent game too (with the second rules) but suffered from having perhaps the worst, least intuitive set out of any game ever.  With the benefit of nearly 50 years' experience in presenting pricing games and the use of technology, both games would be a lot better if they were around today.

Speaking of Double Digits, I wonder if it would've worked better with Switcheroo gameplay, as below (using this week's Switcheroo playing as an example):

So basically Switcheroo rules, but the first number of each small prize would double as the corresponding number in the price of the car (the numbers in red, from top to bottom).  Of course DD was around well before Switcheroo's time, and would've been played for four-digit cars back then.

I had totally forgotten Double Digits' first rule set! I think the Switcheroo set sells the idea very well--I don't think the game could coexist with Switcheroo, but maybe in some alternate TPiR timeline Double Digits takes the role Switcheroo now has.

How do we know what Double Digits' first rule set was? The FAQ says that it was played five times and won only once. I assume there's no video?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."