Author Topic: TPIR on Buzzr?  (Read 8859 times)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: TPIR on Buzzr?
« Reply #15 on: May 21, 2020, 07:30:35 PM »
This is just a wild, wild guess -- and I'm not even sure I think it's plausible -- but it's just an idea:

Assuming it's CBS that's holding up the reruns -- Is it possible (I said "possible" not "probable") that CBS realizes TPiR was, indeed, a higher-quality show once upon a time ... and airing the reruns of it would only validate that, and prove how the current show does pale in comparison to the show of yesteryear?

By "higher quality" I mean:

* Bob hosting, not Drew
* Longer running time per episode by five or more minutes
* A much more spontaneous "live" feel, without all the editing
* Very popular models, three of whom were with the show for years & years
* Beloved music cues, showcase skits, Johnny Olson, Rod Roddy, less spectacle, more genuine interaction with the contestants (again, the longer running time allowed for that), etc.

Just a thought.  Don't shoot me.

I think the "show isn't what it used to be, Bob's version is the only one worth watching" group is small.

But they're vocal. And they consume a lot of oxygen online.

No, this is a really dumb conspiracy and is a strawman argument to "prove" the Bob era was superior.

I really don't think the demand is there. Only the most diehard of game show fans dislike that Family Feud episodes only feature Steve Harvey. I don't see many people clamoring for the old days.

On the flip side, nobody besides the most diehard of game show fans was clamoring to see Match Game Hollywood Squares Hour again, and yet they were able to make that work.

There's an outlet that caters to niche viewers. TPIR reruns would at least be in higher demand than old Password Plus reruns for the gazillionth time. Doesn't automatically make it worth it, but doesn't mean it's too niche.

I really think the answer could be simple as "CBS doesn't want 5-day-a-week reruns competing with their 5-day-a-week first run show".

Also funny about Feud, some recently were stunned to see Dawson's kissing antics I had seen on Twitter. So people could perhaps look at Bob a similar way (the $100 pocket for example, or certain ways of treating female contestants or even models). Could have some role too in the Me Too era.

That isn't stopping Dawson's Family Feud reruns from being shown.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #16 on: May 21, 2020, 07:42:45 PM »
I really don't think the demand is there. Only the most diehard of game show fans dislike that Family Feud episodes only feature Steve Harvey. I don't see many people clamoring for the old days.

I think you're getting the threads mixed up. I agree that there's no incentive for CBS to show Barker reruns while TPIR waits to resume production. But I have to think Buzzr, a channel designed to appeal to a limited audience and that has not had success airing any programming from beyond 2000, would see Barker TPIR thrive.

If CBS does currently have exclusive broadcast rights for The Price Is Right, then it makes sense that they would be unwilling to give them up. After all, what would CBS gain? Fremantle/Buzzr isn't going to offer CBS enough money to make it worthwhile. And while any effect on the network's ratings would likely be infinitesimal, right now CBS is the only place where people can watch The Price Is Right. Why give viewers a choice to watch the competition if you don't have to?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline MrPlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: May 21, 2020, 08:22:24 PM »
I think that it is because CBS/Freemantle know The Price is Right's huge market value and the #1 hit on daytime TV as it still stands.  The reason could be that they don't want to air reruns  because many populations believe that the "Bob version" is a better quality produced product, than the "Drew version" and people would turn to the Bob reruns Seeing side-by-side comparisons of the two "Price" versions,ratings could slip for the first run "Drew versions." because people would prefer "Old Bob" over "New Drew."

However,if you avoid the competition by not showing the Bob era, the newer generation doesn't have the Bob era from which to draw comparison. Therefore, no direct "Old Bob vs. New Drew" competition, keeps that new Drew version of Price going as strongly as possible.

Joe

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #18 on: May 21, 2020, 08:42:22 PM »
I think that it is because CBS/Freemantle know The Price is Right's huge market value and the #1 hit on daytime TV as it still stands.  The reason could be that they don't want to air reruns  because many populations believe that the "Bob version" is a better quality produced product, than the "Drew version" and people would turn to the Bob reruns Seeing side-by-side comparisons of the two "Price" versions,ratings could slip for the first run "Drew versions." because people would prefer "Old Bob" over "New Drew."

However,if you avoid the competition by not showing the Bob era, the newer generation doesn't have the Bob era from which to draw comparison. Therefore, no direct "Old Bob vs. New Drew" competition, keeps that new Drew version of Price going as strongly as possible.

Joe

I doubt this is the case.

If it were, Fremantle would be totally within their rights to file copyright claims on all the classic TPIR episodes uploaded on YouTube.

YouTube's doing far more to remind people of the "good old Bob days" than any other TV network in the past 10 years, yet Fremantle seem to be cool with it.
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #19 on: May 21, 2020, 09:10:43 PM »
YouTube's doing far more to remind people of the "good old Bob days" than any other TV network in the past 10 years,yet Fremantle seem to be cool with it.

Not true, they've been copy-striking users recently for uploading Price episodes, especially the Barker episodes.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2020, 09:32:12 PM »
Looking back, "cool with it" might have been a poor choice of words on my part.

Larger point being, if they were afraid that people circulating the Barker episodes was hurting the Drew version in a significant way, there's a lot more they could currently be doing to stop that. There's, what, currently hundreds of Barker episodes on YT? The majority of which come from a few dozen accounts? They could totally squash that if they wanted with no problem and they would be well within their legal rights to do it.

So I don't think "they're afraid of people seeing how obviously better the Barker version was" holds water.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: May 22, 2020, 11:04:29 PM »
If CBS does currently have exclusive broadcast rights for The Price Is Right, then it makes sense that they would be unwilling to give them up. After all, what would CBS gain? Fremantle/Buzzr isn't going to offer CBS enough money to make it worthwhile. And while any effect on the network's ratings would likely be infinitesimal, right now CBS is the only place where people can watch The Price Is Right. Why give viewers a choice to watch the competition if you don't have to?
This I understand the most, but it sucks.

I definitely think the demand is there. We're in the middle of a big nostalgia boom where a ton of things are being rebooted. Plenty of people have many fond memories of watching Price and plenty who would find a passing interest in revamping their memory with reruns. We've seen revivals of far less popular properties, like To Tell the Truth or the still upcoming Supermarket Sweep.

Not true, they've been copy-striking users recently for uploading Price episodes, especially the Barker episodes.
They haven't really. Imad Khuri has put up what must be at least 100 Barker episodes over the last two years on his channels (a vast majority of which are still up). The only reason he had trouble recently is partly because he was maliciously targeted by randos on the internet. Something I also had a problem with recently. I know there are some cases where they will strike a few things; Carlos' massive collection comes to mind (which IIRC they didn't strike but kindly requested a take down). If there's one thing Fremantle doesn't love is whole episode uploads of very recent shows because that does take away from views on CBS.com or Amazon — which Imad did have quite a few of up. Otherwise, they're the ones who have been mostly content to claiming copyright on episodes/clips, letting them stand, and taking the ad money off of them. I know since I've been uploading clips from Price to YT on and off for 8 years. It's something Sony should take a hint from when it comes to J!/Wheel.

Larger point being, if they were afraid that people circulating the Barker episodes was hurting the Drew version in a significant way, there's a lot more they could currently be doing to stop that. There's, what, currently hundreds of Barker episodes on YT? The majority of which come from a few dozen accounts? They could totally squash that if they wanted with no problem and they would be well within their legal rights to do it.

So I don't think "they're afraid of people seeing how obviously better the Barker version was" holds water.
But I think there's a big difference between random YT channels uploading episodes and a TV network having it publicized on a schedule. I know there's a lot of cord-cutting and people moving towards more online options, but a network like CBS/Buzzr is going to have a better ability to advertise and promote the appearance of episodes online or on TV than a post from, say, Chelsea Thrasher.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #22 on: May 22, 2020, 11:58:45 PM »
I know there are some cases where they will strike a few things; Carlos' massive collection comes to mind (which IIRC they didn't strike but kindly requested a take down).

Carlos took his videos down of his own accord.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Online Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #23 on: May 23, 2020, 04:50:54 AM »
Carlos took his videos down of his own accord.

It was a case of "We can't have nice things." Unfortunately there were people becoming too demanding about how Carlos was posting, what he was posting and when he was posting...not to mention a certain well-known antisemitic troll actually threatening him.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: May 23, 2020, 06:18:34 AM »
...not to mention a certain well-known antisemitic troll actually threatening him.
Oh, to hell with Shaffer and the horse he rode in on.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #25 on: May 23, 2020, 09:52:14 AM »
Why the comparison? Both eras are memorable and remarkable by their own way. The thing is just that some people (just SOME) prefer a certain watching a certain era of a show, just 'cause that's the era they grew up on, just like some rants on YT about watching Dawson's Feud reruns over Harvey's first-runs.

Also, I wouldn't think CBS would think that way, they've already established the fact that the show is still strong, without any comparisons of each of any eras of the show.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #26 on: May 23, 2020, 11:54:38 AM »
Sorry messed that up
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: May 23, 2020, 11:55:17 AM »
In the context of Fremantle and allowing videos on YouTube of The Price Is Right, I just got this notification this morning. Anybody else who has episodes or clips uploaded there get anything? It says "Video title: The Price Is Right: WED 6/5/2019 Copyrighted content: 8783K FINAL MASTER DVD Claimed by: Fremantle International" in my email. So far it's the only one I have received in a while. [Sorry, been trying to figure out how to shrink this and I can't]

There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #28 on: May 23, 2020, 12:32:33 PM »
All of my videos have a copyright claim attached to them but the only hindrance as a result is my channel can't be monetized for obvious reasons. I've only ever had one issue which was someone flagging a video I uploaded of the first MDS DSW from 2008. Otherwise I've had no issues whatsoever with uploading TPIR content past and present. I can't say for certain but I'm fairly sure leaving commercials intact whether it be old or new episodes can very greatly affect the video.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: May 23, 2020, 12:44:22 PM »
Yeah most of my videos I have the commercials intact (not intentionally). But whenever I get them blocked it's usually by a National Geographic or NCAA claim I think. I've never had it blocked by Fremantle, only the copyright claim.