Author Topic: Most likely to reair first...Kennedy Price, Davidson, Carey or Barker (daytime)?  (Read 9643 times)

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
I'm assuming the James/Barker Nighttime run won't reair for some time yet if it ever did so leaving that out, but of the 4 other versions of the show since the daytime run began in 72, which do you think would be likely to be reran first? I'd say a tie between Kennedy and Davidson personally, with a slight edge to Davidson's run just for the novelty of it, given Buzzr has had a penchant for going in that direction that recently, namely with the MG/HS hour.

I doubt Barker or Carey's regular daytime shows hit the network anytime soon conversely. Carey's might be likeliest of the two to do so if one does as it stands now but....I still think one of the other 2 versions would be the first to be shown before even it would.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
At this point, none. I don't see any post-1972 TPIR hitting the network until the show goes out of first-run. They've pretty much said CBS is holding it up from them.

Online tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Carey hands down. There's a good 12 years of episodes there, even though they'd probably only elect to run four of those seasons. I wonder how much of the viewer base would notice that they're watching the same S4x episode for the third time.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
I doubt Barker or Carey's regular daytime shows hit the network anytime soon conversely. Carey's might be likeliest of the two to do so if one does as it stands now but....I still think one of the other 2 versions would be the first to be shown before even it would.

The appetite for Carey reruns among general audiences would be about 100x the appetite for Kennedy or Davidson versions.

Barker reruns would be close behind.

Davidson/Kennedy reruns would do well on Buzzr & GSN, but so would Carey & Barker reruns, and I don't see Davidson/Kennedy reruns being much easier to clear.

At this point, none. I don't see any post-1972 TPIR hitting the network until the show goes out of first-run.

I'm not going to go quite that far (if GSN got a contract 24 years ago, nothing's impossible), but I'm not holding my breath.

I agree it's likely as simple as CBS thinking they stand to lose more they'd gain from reruns.

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline wheelfan1991

• Walking the Golden Road
  • "If you overbid ONE MORE TIME!!!"
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
If they were to want to do a "Throwback" or "Retro" week of Bob episodes in lieu of current day reruns (which I highly doubt CBS will do), I'd almost bet they would pick anything from Season 32 (post-Claudia Jordan) and on. I say that because I don't see them airing shows with the models that left on bad terms. To add to that, they would have to throw out shows that had Lanisha, Shane, and Brandi modeling as they all left on bitter terms and filed lawsuits against the show and some of its staff. It would be difficult to cherry-pick, which is why I don't foresee them ever showing old episodes again unless the models had signed in their contract that their episodes could be shown at a later time even after they had departed, no matter the stipulation or reasoning for their leaving.
“Failure will never overtake me if my determination to succeed is strong enough.” —Og Mandino

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
Ever again is a very long time. Will we ever see those old episodes again at 11am on CBS? Probably not, but the TPIR tape library is too valuable for it to just sit in archives forever. Eventually, probably sooner rather than later, whatever the reason we don’t see them anymore whether it be some conflict with CBS that needs to be negotiated, or something specifically related to Bob that can’t be cleared until after his passing, will be resolved, and Freemantle will print money selling the rights to Netflix, or Hulu, or CBS All Access or whatever.

Offline vnisanian2001

Carey. Kennedy Price will never be rerun again, because Holly was one of the models, and Barker still says she never existed.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
Carey. Kennedy Price will never be rerun again, because Holly was one of the models, and Barker still says she never existed.
Where is it stated that Bob Barker has anything to say about versions of the show that he was not involved in?

Offline vnisanian2001

Two people who worked on the DVD set a decade ago confirmed that the "rumor" about banned models on the DVD set was not a rumor. One person said that Barker still has a ton of pull and had to make sure everything was Bob-approved.

So, Holly is still banned from any future reruns.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
Two people who worked on the DVD set a decade ago confirmed that the "rumor" about banned models on the DVD set was not a rumor. One person said that Barker still has a ton of pull and had to make sure everything was Bob-approved.

So, Holly is still banned from any future reruns.
So, you really don’t know... Got it.

Offline vnisanian2001

So you really don't think Barker banned Holly from reruns... even though there are lots and lots of valid arguments and valid points that prove that he did, just like how he banned Dennis James' episodes from being rerun ever again... got it.

And learn how to be nice.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
So if that “rumor” is true (and I don’t have an opinion on it one way or another), the question becomes, do the producers just withhold the old shows out of deference/ respect for Bob, or does he have actual contractual clout to keep then from ever re-airing? And if it’s the latter, will that contractual clout extend into the future and allow his estate  to enforce it in perpetuity? I’m going to guess any clout he may or may not have probably wouldn’t follow him into the afterlife, and given that he doesn’t have any direct heirs to uphold his wishes it’s probable we’ll see all the old stuff again some day.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
That's rich coming from you.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
So you really don't think Barker banned Holly from reruns... even though there are lots and lots of valid arguments and valid points that prove that he did, just like how he banned Dennis James' episodes from being rerun ever again... got it.

I have no dog in this fight, but you clearly feel like you know something that isn't obvious to the rest of us. Would you be willing to share how you learned that? Preferably with quotes and a link to where you read it?

I think "Why would Bob have any control over versions of the show he wasn't involved with at all" is a perfectly reasonable question to ask.

And it's totally reasonable to want to hear something more concrete than "somebody told me that somebody told him" before accepting it as the gospel truth.

That's rich coming from you.

Are barbs like these going to help?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."