Author Topic: Most likely to reair first...Kennedy Price, Davidson, Carey or Barker (daytime)?  (Read 9639 times)

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:28:15 PM by vnisanian2001 »

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
Where is it stated that Bob Barker has anything to say about versions of the show that he was not involved in?
I thought this was established from when the show ran on GSN. That the primary reason we never saw any of James' version was because many of his shows featured furs because the increased budget allowed for them to show up more frequently than in daytime. Maybe that was rumors passed down, but there were definitely episodes of Cullen's Price that were not aired on GSN because they featured furs and most of the nighttime run survives on kinescope.

As for the model bans, I believe there is an air of truth to it. While the DVD set was great, it was also disappointing that it was limited to the first three years of the show and Bob's last week. Bob Barker has definitely proven to be a vindictive man.

As for when we could get reairings of Price in the future, I think if anything is most likely, it's probably Carey episodes. They've actually been rerun in Canada in the past and I could see it being the simplest since it would definitely already be in a format to be reaired. Kennedy and Davidson would also be neat, and I agree with what was said in that Buzzr, has liked working to air novelty programming. Currently, CBS has exclusive airing rights to The Price is Right and Buzzr respects that, but TV contracts come up for negotiations all the time and I believe that anything can change. For years, we heard of the cross-ownership and red tape that kept MGHS and Concentration from airing anywhere and in the last 3 years, Buzzr has cut through that red tape to air MGHS, Classic Concentration, Cullen Price, and Narz Concentration. It has definitely renewed hope in me for the ability for things to come to fruition, because I know I thought things were hopeless when it came to a few of those titles ever seeing the light of day.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/whats-next-for-bci.257429/page-2

https://www.hometheaterforum.com/community/threads/whats-next-for-bci.257429/page-3

I think this should work now.

Thanks for this.

Oh, the innocent old days before widespread social media, when employees felt free blab on forums about upcoming projects before tight-lipped professional comms teams took everything over.

The relevant parts:

Q: Will episodes with the original Barker's Beauties models, Janice, Anitra, Dian, and Holly, be included? They were my favorites.

DVD Guy: I'm actually not sure who all is or isn't on the set, as I've only seen a handful of the episodes. I know we can't have episodes that feature furs, as Bob won't allow it.

--

TPIR enthusiast:
Barker has apparently used his power to ban reruns with certain models from appearing on the Game Show Network. Not sure if that ban extends to home video though. This ban not only denies the models air time, it keeps them from getting residuals.

No offense to Barker fans, but everything I've ever read about him makes him sound like a not very nice person once the camera shuts off. I believe he's still facing some ligitation from former PIR staffers relating to various discrimination issues.

Thanks to <DVD Guy> for all his posts in this thread. I hope this release does very well for you!

Some other guy I don't know:
Sorry, <TPIR Enthusiast>, but you're wrong. When GSN had the rights to air TPIR reruns, they could air any old episodes they wanted, except ones featuring fur coats or animal-related products (such as meat-based grocery item). They aired all kinds of episodes with Janis, Dian and Holly, and I think that GSN were only skipping the fur episodes as a courtesy to Barker and his sensitivities, anyway, not an outright ban.

When it was on the regular schedule, half-hour Barker episodes played in the morning, and hour-long shows in the late afternoon/evening, with Tom Kennedy episodes in late-night, and Cullen episodes in a black-and-white programming block. This saturation was probably due to the loss of other G-T shows between 1997-98 (which were on a separate contract).

When the rights to the TPIR package lapsed in 2000 (and GSN had to renegotiate), it was Les Moonves and CBS, not Bob Barker, who didn't want TPIR reruns on GSN. The reason wasn't anything to do with Barker's Beauties, it was that CBS were/are concerned that classic reruns of TPIR might siphon viewers from the "new" episodes on CBS. Fremantle (the owner of the show) has to give clearance for GSN to air TPiR. CBS told Fremantle that they don't want them to give GSN the clearance or they will not pay as much for new episodes of Price, so that's why Fremantle aren't allowing GSN to air TPIR right now.

DVD Guy: We tried. We also offered to donate a portion of sales to a charity of Bob's choice as a way of "making up" for past transgressions. We also offered up doing a PSA (hopefully with Bob) that is anti-cruelty to animals. We figured that would be even better than just ignoring it. None of those would fly.

It sounds like DVD Guy is talking about only Bob's fur ban.

TPIR Enthusiast looks like he is reading into what he supposes the issue is, but DVD guy never confirms or denies it.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2020, 04:52:55 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
Again, sadly, I think a lot of this silliness will probably be quickly resolved after Bob passes away, there’s too much money on the table otherwise.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Realistically, Buzzer isn’t going to suddenly strike gold if they got Price reruns. The audience for old game show reruns is small. Every dollar is nice, but let’s not lose perspective.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Realistically, Buzzer isn’t going to suddenly strike gold if they got Price reruns. The audience for old game show reruns is small. Every dollar is nice, but let’s not lose perspective.

Are you sure? Given that this particular show spans generations....I could imagine it might do more than some others.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Kennedy/Davidson Price might not have appeal for any broadcasters outside Buzzr, but I think Carey/Barker reruns definitely would. Those don’t have to be limited to Buzzr.

If they wanted to shop around the Carey version in syndicated reruns, for example, I think they’d definitely get some takers.

(I don’t think it’ll happen because I think the “CBS wants to be exclusive” rumor holds too much water, but Fremantle would have options if that route opened up.)
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
(I don’t think it’ll happen because I think the “CBS wants to be exclusive” rumor holds too much water, but Fremantle would have options if that route opened up.)
It's not a rumor. Buzzr did an FAQ and confirmed that the reason they haven't aired Price is because of CBS holding exclusive rights to air the show.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row

A. People made that exact argument when TV shows first started coming out on DVD

B. That exact attitude is why we’ll never get to see Art Fleming Jeopardy or Chuck Woolery Wheel ever again.

Regardless, I’d probably agree with you with regards to any other game show except TPIR. TPIR is a timeless piece of our culture, and the reruns haven’t been seen at least 20 years, a lot of them never. I think there’s significant value in those specific reruns, especially in this era of streaming services where content is king.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
So it feels a bit like conjecture turned into assumptions at this point.

We know about Bob’s fur ban.  Someone assumed from a question asked about the DVD collection that the model ban was in force, but at least one of those episodes has Dian in it, which make me question that.  It may be true that Bob didn’t want any episodes with Holly on the DVD set and it may also be true that Bob said “If you put any episode with Holly in it, I won’t authorize my appearance.”  None of that says anything about Buzzr being able to air episodes with Tom Kennedy as host because Holly is in them.  We know Buzzr isn’t airing them because CBS has an exclusive agreement to air Price and that’s the most logical reason why none of the other versions of the current Price are being aired. 

The lesson here is - you need to be very careful about just making blanket statements, particularly without evidence.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
B. That exact attitude is why we’ll never get to see Art Fleming Jeopardy or Chuck Woolery Wheel ever again.

Are you meaning about them getting taped over years ago? Or? I'd assume so, because otherwise this doesn't make much sense lol.

Offline Spmahn

• In Contestant's Row
Are you meaning about them getting taped over years ago? Or? I'd assume so, because otherwise this doesn't make much sense lol.

Yes, meaning Merv Griffin (and other TV producers of the era) having the attitude of “No ones gonna wanna watch this old crap again, why spend they money to buy more tapes just use the ones we have over and over until they fall apart.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
Yes, meaning Merv Griffin (and other TV producers of the era) having the attitude of “No ones gonna wanna watch this old crap again, why spend they money to buy more tapes just use the ones we have over and over until they fall apart.

The ABC era of Password (pre-All Stars period especially) would fall under this too.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
Someone assumed from a question asked about the DVD collection that the model ban was in force, but at least one of those episodes has Dian in it, which make me question that.
My understanding of how that happened is that everyone involved in assembling that set didn't realize Dian was on that episode (I'm guessing it was one of the ones referenced in the Timeline where she was wearing a brunette wig, seemingly trying to double for Anitra) until it was too late to replace it with a different one.