Author Topic: Memorable GPs/SPs  (Read 8878 times)

Offline tpirguyMN

• In the Audience
Re: Memorable GPs/SPs
« Reply #15 on: June 09, 2020, 10:02:57 PM »
The one I remember most since Drew took over is that jar of Francesco Rinaldi pasta sauce!  Deceivingly cheap at something like $2.29!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: June 09, 2020, 11:12:04 PM »
I remember Similasan pink eye relief was a regular product for a time in the mid 2000s, it was notable because the copy began with "Finally!' even if it wasn't the last product being described.

A $37 ice bowl was a frequent SP in the early-mid 2000s, there was a playing of Line em Up that a contestant was awarded a technical win because it was listed as $38 rather than $37 on the board (I may be switching the prices).

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2020, 08:07:40 PM »
I guess it wasn't really overused, but my favorite was always Buckley's Mixture, "the famous Canadian cough remedy now available here.  It tastes awful, and it works!"  Rod damn near lost it the first time he had to read that plug.

Dolphins & Friends had a real run in the late 90s/early 00s, showing up in every grocery game in different kinds of containers. If it didn’t pop up in the grocery game of the day, it was usually plugged as a bonus item in an IUFB.

Oh, God.  The $1.29 snack pack, the $1.49 canister, the $2.39 bag, and the $4.79 carton.

21 years later, and I can still rattle off the prices by heart.

(For context, these things appeared literally every day for four or five months in Season 28.  I think they skipped maybe two episodes.  It sounds stupid looking back, but they actually got annoying after a while.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2020, 08:13:38 PM »
When I was in college in the early 90s it was Klondike ice cream bars. $2.99 for the regular and $3.09 for the fat free cookie bars. There was a playing of Grand Game at the time I recall in which the target price was $3.00. The contestant picked the Klondike fat free cookie bars. My roommate and I knew the game was lost.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2020, 08:18:06 PM »
When I was in college in the early 90s it was Klondike ice cream bars. $2.99 for the regular and $3.09 for the fat free cookie bars. There was a playing of Grand Game at the time I recall in which the target price was $3.00. The contestant picked the Klondike fat free cookie bars. My roommate and I knew the game was lost.

These were notable too as far as memorable moments go, (the regular ones that is, I never even really have heard of the fat free ones before honestly), for the Hole in One game in this period where the lady contestant playing it wanted one of them.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2020, 08:21:45 PM »
I guess it wasn't really overused, but my favorite was always Buckley's Mixture, "the famous Canadian cough remedy now available here.  It tastes awful, and it works!"  Rod damn near lost it the first time he had to read that plug.

Oh, God.  The $1.29 snack pack, the $1.49 canister, the $2.39 bag, and the $4.79 carton.

21 years later, and I can still rattle off the prices by heart.

(For context, these things appeared literally every day for four or five months in Season 28.  I think they skipped maybe two episodes.  It sounds stupid looking back, but they actually got annoying after a while.)

I'm curious, with an arrangement like that where they literally appeared every day for months on end.....would the fee rate be different for them relative to a product that was used more sparingly or even just once or twice? Or would it be the same per episode, regardless of how frequently it appeared? I could see Roger and company trying to save some money in the budget by doing something like this, if they could do so on the cheap.

Online LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2020, 08:22:02 PM »
Around 2006, there was a frequently used toaster that cost $80. It tripped up contestant after contestant who couldn't believe a toaster could be that expensive. And not a GP or an SP, but anyone who saw this commercial over and over and over again will never forget it:

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2020, 08:25:35 PM »
Around 2006, there was a frequently used toaster that cost $80. It tripped up contestant after contestant who couldn't believe a toaster could be that expensive. And not a GP or an SP, but anyone who saw this commercial over and over and over again will never forget it:

Ah yes, HeadOn appeared a LOT in the closing credits for Wheel and Jeopardy way back in the day, and I think even during in J's case as a closed captioning spot, but that's just going off memory. ActiveOn was also seen later.

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2020, 08:28:56 PM »
^Reading through this thread is showing me that I'm a relative newbie to the show since the only thing I vaguely remember is the $2.29 pasta sauce. But I DO remember that commercial and I refuse to click that video for my own sanity.  :-)

And I guess for those who haven't already answered the second question, did you like having all these repeated common items throughout the show or do you like the variety the show is going for now more?

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2020, 08:33:05 PM »
And I guess for those who haven't already answered the second question, did you like having all these repeated common items throughout the show or do you like the variety the show is going for now more?

I actually like the variety more, it keeps things fresh and more challenging if you watch regularly. It'd be an easy way to have a consistently balanced budget I suspect as well, since there wouldn't be the same predictability to what is being shown either in SP's and GP's or even big prizes themselves. As bad in ways as the Perfect Bid fiasco was PR wise, it mighta done the show some favors on the back end in this way, allowing them to go in a whole other more creative direction with the prizes and game setups.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2020, 08:42:48 PM by pricefan18 »

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2020, 08:33:31 PM »

HeadOn: The commercial so annoying that they made two follow-up commercials ADMITTING that they were annoying!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2020, 09:06:01 PM »
Eggland's Best Eggs was $2.19, and the Libman's Wonder Mop was $10. I still remember those by heart.

I actually looked for Dolphins and Friends cookies/crackers back in the day, but never found them at my local grocery stores.
1,681 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2020, 09:13:07 PM »
Those HeadOn ads are cheap and manipulative—but so is TV advertising in general. Still, gotta respect them for finding a way to do in 10 seconds what most pharmaceutical ads can’t do in two minutes.

As for the GP’s I can’t forget:

David Nacho Cheese Sunflower Seeds ($1.09)
Gold Bond Medicated Foot Powder ($6.99)
Bush’s Original Family Recipe Baked Beans ($1.59)
Phillip’s Fiber Caps ($6.49)

I did like the days when they used the same 15-20 GPs per season. It rewarded contestants who watched every day, and more importantly, it rewarded VIEWERS who tuned in every day. But after sponsorships dropping, Google becoming prevalent, and the Perfect Bid incident, I can’t fault them for deciding to shake it up a bit.

I actually looked for Dolphins and Friends cookies/crackers back in the day, but never found them at my local grocery stores.

I remember they tasted like Goldfish crackers, but with much much stronger artificial cheese flavor. Can’t say I was a fan.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2020, 09:13:38 PM »
Eggland's Best Eggs was $2.19, and the Libman's Wonder Mop was $10. I still remember those by heart.

Didnt't the Eggs eventually go to $2.29 later? I kinda recall that, but might be off. Gotta love the Wonder Mop too, especially for Rod's cracking up describing it as a IUFB bonus during the infamous "A Barbeque and a New Car" blooper.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #29 on: June 11, 2020, 01:38:15 AM »
Dolphins & Friends had a real run in the late 90s/early 00s, showing up in every grocery game in different kinds of containers.

I'm abnormally proud that I was able to find a package of Dolphins & Friends shortly before they went out of production so they could appear in a playing of Now or Then in 2009.

(In addition to the memorable "then" products, that playing was meaningful to me because November 1999 is when a young Scott Robinson got to go to Los Angeles to attend The Price Is Right as his gift for his 18th birthday.)
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.