Author Topic: Memorable GPs/SPs  (Read 8838 times)

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Memorable GPs/SPs
« Reply #30 on: June 11, 2020, 07:15:58 AM »
I will never forget the $6.72 Flintstones vitamins.  They were used a lot around in the early '00s if I remember correctly.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #31 on: June 11, 2020, 10:39:08 AM »
I remember the Smuckers Jelly that was $3.35. It was used a lot in It's In The Bag and Check-Out during Bob's final seasons.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #32 on: June 11, 2020, 02:53:42 PM »
A couple of others I remember:

The tiny 99-cent bottles of Listerine, which usually appeared on Grand Game (and the crowd almost always moaned when the contestant chose it, since most people felt that it was one of the most expensive items).

Sue Bee Honey Cream, which was inexpensive, whereas actual honey tended to be expensive. This tripped up a number of people as well.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #33 on: June 11, 2020, 05:05:30 PM »
I'm really dating myself here, but back in the early 2000s on the old alt.tv.game-shows Usenet group, there was a crackpot who would frequently post his theory that the appearance of Dolphins & Friends was somehow connected to GSN losing the TPiR rerun rights, and that the reruns would come back as soon as a D&F product wasn't used in an episode. So that's the most memorable aspect of them for me...

It was only used once as far as I recall, but I remember a mid-2000's playing of Plinko (or was it Punch-a-Bunch?) that used a CD of The Rolling Stones' first album. It was memorable to me, because it seemed so bizarre and random to give away an album that came out 40+ years ago, and not really one of the Stones' more famous albums at that.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 05:08:54 PM by SamJ93 »

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: June 11, 2020, 06:26:43 PM »
I also remember there being a guy who took HUGE offense at TPiR displaying Pop-Tarts with outdated package art.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2020, 07:30:38 PM »
I'm really dating myself here, but back in the early 2000s on the old alt.tv.game-shows Usenet group, there was a crackpot who would frequently post his theory that the appearance of Dolphins & Friends was somehow connected to GSN losing the TPiR rerun rights, and that the reruns would come back as soon as a D&F product wasn't used in an episode. So that's the most memorable aspect of them for me...

That's Notetaker.  He used to be pretty prominent here in the old days.

I also remember there being a guy who took HUGE offense at TPiR displaying Pop-Tarts with outdated package art.

Oh, Lord.  Darryl Heine.  He hasn't gotten any better with age, either.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2020, 10:31:16 PM »
It was only used once as far as I recall, but I remember a mid-2000's playing of Plinko (or was it Punch-a-Bunch?) that used a CD of The Rolling Stones' first album. It was memorable to me, because it seemed so bizarre and random to give away an album that came out 40+ years ago, and not really one of the Stones' more famous albums at that.

I'd wager that the show originally acquired the CD for a showcase (perhaps centered on the word "stone"?) and the showcase wasn't won. Which meant they then had a Rolling Stones CD sitting in the warehouse that they needed to get rid of.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: June 11, 2020, 11:04:04 PM »
I remember a Pathfinder playing in the mid 2000s where one of the SPs was a VHS tape of the first Indiana Jones movie. That was a really out there one use SP also.

I'm abnormally proud that I was able to find a package of Dolphins & Friends shortly before they went out of production so they could appear in a playing of Now or Then in 2009

I remember that! How long did it take you to find it?

EDITED by Steve to fix quoting.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2020, 11:44:13 PM by SteveGavazzi »

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2020, 11:52:40 AM »
I still remember those $1.07 cans of Campbell's mushroom soup that seemed to appear in every other GP game in S35
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline magic#92

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: June 15, 2020, 01:26:42 AM »
The one that I remember is the jar of Wheat Nuts, most likely because they were in a certain late playing of Penny Ante.  The contestant made an incorrect guess, but the flap with the correct price of $2.39 opened anyway.  “We’re looking for a ‘Yes’...well, we got a ‘Yes’” said Bob as the malfunction was happening. Years later, I saw the product show up in this episode as a “Then” product.
This is Wilford Brimley reminding you to help control your diabeetus.  Check your blood sugar and check it often.