Author Topic: Memorable GPs/SPs  (Read 8742 times)

Offline 123123123

• Double Showcase Winner
Memorable GPs/SPs
« on: June 09, 2020, 09:39:51 AM »
It's two related questions for the price of one.

1. What are some the most memorable small prizes or groceries from when you started/remembered watching the show?

2. Over the last few seasons, it seems there has been a strong effort put towards not reusing small prizes and groceries except sponsored ones. Are you more of a fan of this or back when you could know a lot of the prices ($10 Libman mop, $6.72 Flintstone gummies to name a few) just by watching a few episodes?

For the first question, the Libman mop was definitely memorable. However, the season when I was really got into watching the show had both the infamous $180 fondue pot and the super cheap Liquid Plumb-R that seemed to always trip people up. Those two will forever be etched into my brain.  :-)

For the second question, I might be in the minority, but I like the bigger variety in items. I think it makes it that much more suspenseful for the superfans here when you really aren't sure about the prices. Of course there are exceptions, but I think it really comes down to weather you want to reward generally good shoppers or people who watch the show often.

Offline JhayPrice

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Memorable GPs/SPs
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 09:56:49 AM »
It's gotta be Bon Ami for me.  :lol: It's notable for the drum crash thing on a One Bid round which cracks Bob and Rod up! *also it appeared frequently on Grocery Game, Bullseye or Hit Me back then*

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 10:29:39 AM »
Dolphins & Friends had a real run in the late 90s/early 00s, showing up in every grocery game in different kinds of containers. If it didn’t pop up in the grocery game of the day, it was usually plugged as a bonus item in an IUFB.
From around the same time there was a shark stapler that appeared in many small prize games that was so expensive it seemed like it was chosen specifically for contestants to get wrong.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 10:58:31 AM »
I see Dolphins & Friends has already been mentioned. Rod must have had that plug memorized after repeating it for so many shows.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 11:41:08 AM »
One I remember was a pack of Clorets gum in Bullseye. Someone in the audience yelled out clearly, "17 Clorets!" and Bob and the contestant had a laugh. But he did choose 13 Clorets gum and won, if I'm not mistaken.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2020, 01:02:58 PM »
Thinking back on it some more, I remember that around the same time as Dolphins & Friends, the show's lineup of grocery items became rather overpopulated with medicine and cosmetic products, which because of their generally high prices, could make certain games very easy (Hi-Lo) and others very hard (Check Out).

Earlier on...sometime in the mid to late '90s...there was a diet product called Pounds Off! that made lots of appearances, and in the description, Rod would always mention that he used it. This was during the era when Bob would often ask Rod how his diet was going.

On your second question, I'm in the middle of the road. I always liked how the show rewarded regular viewers who paid close attention by repeating certain products very frequently (in turn, giving people an incentive to watch more often). But I also think it's good for most of the games to demand that contestants have a general idea of what things cost (that's what the show is supposed to be about, after all). So I'd split it down the middle and say I like for grocery item games to include maybe one item that's on "heavy rotation" that regular viewers know the price of, but vary the other items enough that it's not a dead giveaway.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2020, 01:11:36 PM by actual_retail_tice »

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2020, 01:18:20 PM »
The one item that comes to my mind is Knox Unflavored Gelatin, if only because it kept appearing even after pretty much any grocery item with meat in it (for example, "pepperoni pizza" Hot Pockets) vanished from the show. Apparently, somebody forgot to tell Bob how gelatin is made.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2020, 01:24:04 PM »
The one item that comes to my mind is Knox Unflavored Gelatin, if only because it kept appearing even after pretty much any grocery item with meat in it (for example, "pepperoni pizza" Hot Pockets) vanished from the show. Apparently, somebody forgot to tell Bob how gelatin is made.

When did the ban on meat products start? Somewhere in 80's? Or a bit later? And did the gelatin ever truly stop being used in Bob's era at all?

Offline SuperMatch93

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2020, 05:10:38 PM »
I remember the Little Debbie honey buns being used a lot in the late 90s.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2020, 05:29:16 PM »
I remember the Little Debbie honey buns being used a lot in the late 90s.

I think their Oatmeal Creme Pies were used often as well.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2020, 06:15:44 PM »
I remember seeing a lot of the Airborne vitamin supplement in the early 2000s.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2020, 06:18:00 PM »
I remember seeing a lot of the Airborne vitamin supplement in the early 2000s.

Oh I remember that one now that you say that. Also three words come to mind now too, "It's Udderly Smoothhh.." I think that speaks for itself lol.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2020, 06:30:12 PM »
I can't remember the exact name but it was some sort of hot banana nut bread cereal in the late 90s. Every time it came on I'd remark how I loved that stuff yet never actually had it before. Then theres Crunch 'n' Munch: $1.09, Lever 2000 soap, Alberto V05, Citrucel, Geritol, Capsazin HP and Egglands Best Eggs offered with one IUFB at least once per show.

As for small prizes not many stick out. The egg shape cookie jar, capture carpet cleaning kit, Plasti-Kote fleck stone, Spin Spa shower brush.

Offline pricefan18

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: June 09, 2020, 06:39:47 PM »
I can't remember the exact name but it was some sort of hot banana nut bread cereal in the late 90s. Every time it came on I'd remark how I loved that stuff yet never actually had it before. Then theres Crunch 'n' Munch: $1.09, Lever 2000 soap, Alberto V05, Citrucel, Geritol, Capsazin HP and Egglands Best Eggs offered with one IUFB at least once per show.

As for small prizes not many stick out. The egg shape cookie jar, capture carpet cleaning kit, Plasti-Kote fleck stone, Spin Spa shower brush.

Uncle Ben's Instant Rice I remember a fair bit. Zataran's Red Beans and Rice too I think.

Also on small prizes, how about the infamous Crocodile Dentist game used in Pathfinder in 1993? That's a pretty famous one.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #14 on: June 09, 2020, 09:37:09 PM »
The 2008/2010 video games used a $99 old style telephone as a SP for what seemed liked every single game of Punch-a-Bunch. I don't think I've ever actually seen it used on the show but I don't think I'll forget it anytime soon.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.